Hi guys,
My D string constantly keeps breaking. I put all new strings on about a week ago and it still breaks.
My strings are pretty loose too.
I'm using:
D'Addario's XL electric guitar strings
.009 - .042

Could somebody please give me any idea why my D string keeps breaking?

EDIT: IT BREAKS BY THE BRIDGE. Its a TOM bridge

Thanks,
- hotfoot982
Last edited by hotfoot982 at Nov 11, 2007,
Get 10's
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Switch your string brand. I'm not rying to dog on D'darrios, but they have a tendency to break very ealisly. I use them on my 12 string electric, and by B strings are breaking left and right, even when I'm not playing the thing.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by hotfoot982
Hi guys,
My D string constantly keeps breaking. I put all new strings on about a week ago and it still breaks.
My strings are pretty loose too.
I'm using:
D'Addario's XL electric guitar strings
.009 - .042

Could somebody please give me any idea why my D string keeps breaking?

Thanks,
- hotfoot982

theres your problem most likely....

i learned the hard way
If it's breaking down by the bridge, it's probobly a bur in the metal. I had one on my high E string. A guy at the music store got rid of it with a very fine file.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
if its breaking at the bridge of your guitar you have to sand down the bridge where your D string rests that was a problem on my ESP the B string always broke cause the bridge the metal was sharp so maybe its that.
there might be a sharp nick in your bridge that could be cutting at the string

that was what was wrong with my old squier. then i got a guitar with a floyd rose and it solved everything.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
There is a proper way to put strings on...but the improper way just makes it out of tune, usually towards flat. But i don't know about improperly placed strings going sharp. You are putting them on correctly right?
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
yeah its breaking by the bridge

Cannibalwolf: i know how to play. that doesnt even make sense. my string breaks alot. how would you know my experience?
Quote by hotfoot982
yeah its breaking by the bridge

Cannibalwolf: i know how to play. that doesnt even make sense. my string breaks alot. how would you know my experience?

Well I'm just suggesting,cause you never know..

BTW you should look on some grammar pages ,not trying to be a arse but it would help..

If you feel offended ,That is not my intentions.
Last edited by Cannibalwolf at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Cannibalwolf
well I'm just suggesting,cause you never know..

BTW you should look on some grammar pages ,not trying to be a arse but it would help..

If you feel offended ,That is not my intentions.
You should hit up some 'grammar' pages too. It would help.
i had this exact same problem with my les paul, i took it down to a shop and they said it was.... spurs?? might have been burrs hmm i dunno but what it means is there is a lttle sharp area in that part of your bridge so just get like a nail file and get inbetween the part where the string sits and just file it out
What type is your bridge, floyd, strat, tele, or a TOM?

If it's a floyd I can't help you, but what I did on my Gibson's bridge was took a razor and a light hammer, and very lightly tapped the razor into the saddles at an angle to make them smoother, so the stings would have less of a chance of breaking. Inspect your saddles for rough edges and try to smooth them down.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
What type is your bridge, floyd, strat, tele, or a TOM?

If it's a floyd I can't help you, but what I did on my Gibson's bridge was took a razor and a light hammer, and very lightly tapped the razor into the saddles at an angle to make them smoother, so the stings would have less of a chance of breaking. Inspect your saddles for rough edges and try to smooth them down.

Its a TOM bridge