I can sweep pretty fast back and forth (well, not really fast for most of u goys lol), but the problem lies in that I can't figure out how to mute the strings when I sweep back (from the high to low E strings)

when I sweep forwards, I mute the strings directly behind the pick with my palm, which does an excellent job, but there is no way for me to do this on the way back because I will mute the string Im trying to pick lol.

any ideas?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Practice using your right pinky or ring finger to mute the strings going up. That might work.
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
muting with your fretting fingers on the way back is the easiest way of muting, just fret with the tip of your fingers, and let the rest of it lie still on the strings higher than the one you're fretting, so they're dead notes, you should try it, goes almost by itself
except, if you need to fingerroll, just get the first string of the roll with the piece you mute strings with in the just explained way, and then lift it up.. for a 3-string roll, same idea, but the movement should be a bit more 'extreme'
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Thekillerbob
Shouldn't your fingers mute them on the way back? That's what happens for me.

yeah but mine didnt want to for some reason. Now that I try to mute with the finger that hits the last note, it works pretty well. Thanks a lot, I dont know how I didnt think of that lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
I can sweep pretty fast back and forth (well, not really fast for most of u goys lol), but the problem lies in that I can't figure out how to mute the strings when I sweep back (from the high to low E strings)

when I sweep forwards, I mute the strings directly behind the pick with my palm, which does an excellent job, but there is no way for me to do this on the way back because I will mute the string Im trying to pick lol.

any ideas?

I use the tips of my fretting fingers to mute on both ways
from my excruciating practice sessions with sweep picking, i've incorporated a few techniques that help mute the strings efficiently on the way down - first and foremost, make sure that once you fret the note and play it that you slightly lift your finger off the string enough to keep minimal contact with it - this should deaden most of the sound, but this technique is a bit haphazard at times because of the precision needed to completely eliminate string noise - i usually combine this with using the free fingers of my picking hand to lightly touch the strings over the pick depending on what i'm playing

if you find that you can't lift your finger off to the point where you mute the string completely, try using a part of your finger other than the tip by letting it hang a bit below the fretted note

ex. if you're fretting a note on the b string, use the fleshy part of that finger to mute the high e string
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
If you were sweeping correctly, you should need to mute the strings, when you take your finger off that particular fret, the sound should stop. If it doesnt, slow down you speed and try to play the sweep slower then slowly build up your speed.
- Play it from your heart, to the tips of your fingers