Page 1 of 3
Out of all the musicians you can think of (dead or alive), who do you think has the highest skills of their instrument (besides John Petrucci )?

So this really doesn't deal with composing, rather than technical ability.

I have been reading up on Franz Liszt. Apparently, this piece is so difficult, no pianist of the 20th century was able to play the complete original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQ4jL84COc

Liszt was also said to be a brilliant sight-reader, and once sight-read one of Chopin's very difficult pieces. Chopin's piano music is more difficult than Beethoven's or Mozart's. He was a child prodigy, and during his time, he was highly innovative in technical ability. Liszt took one of his difficult pieces and sight-read it in front of him. Chopin wrote that he envied Liszt's skill.

It's claimed he spent 10-12 hours a day practicing scales, trills and arpeggios. A clay-casting of his hands showed he had no webbing between his fingers. He had many big stretches of the hand in his music.

He saw Paganini play the violin, which made him want to become as well a virtuoso of the piano as Paganini was to the violin.

And then there is this video, from [01:31-01:39]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No6IY5FqSvY
Yeah, I read that Wiki on him, he seems like a complete badass. I like his version of La Campanella...I wish I could play piano better
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
*shrugs* Gene Simmons?
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Yeah, I don't mean to brag but I'm the greatest bassist EVER!(remember, I'm not bragging)

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
lol dammit, i was gonna say john petrucci, john myung - bass?
joe satriani- not just his skill, but his songwriting aswell is incredible
Quote by KKING911
*shrugs* Gene Simmons?

haha niceeeeeeeee

lol

as to the question, ill just throw tommy emmanuel out there ... check him out
Quote by Ed Hunter
Kick your brother in his penis adorned head.
Quote by The Madcap
I hope you're not serious....

Well this is in MY opinion, right?

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Quote by TOAOIsaac
Well this is in MY opinion, right?
It's just that technical ability isn't anywhere near as subjective as how good or bad an artist's interpretation of a piece is, composing, etc.
Quote by Dazza
haha niceeeeeeeee

lol

as to the question, ill just throw tommy emmanuel out there ... check him out

omg. thankyou
another UGer that knows tommy emmanuel. this man is a god.
check out: angelina, since we met, somewhere over the rainbow and tall fiddler.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Quote by muso_ chris
omg. thankyou
another UGer that knows tommy emmanuel. this man is a god.
check out: angelina, since we met, somewhere over the rainbow and tall fiddler.
I've listened to Emmanuel play. I like how he interprets music that isn't his (I've never got around to listening to his own composing), but a lot of his technique is very flawed and impractical.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
Paco de lucia. greatest flamenco guitarist of all time. Or Rachmaninov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aYNorY5Snk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPbuMEasrRE

Or John Coltrane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_n-gRS_wdI
I really wish youtube had a video of Coltrane playing "Cousin Mary". That's my favorite by him.
Someone I know named Seth L. Flood, seriously I have yet to see a musician famous or not begin to match the talent this man has.
Quote by 40oz2freeedom
just ask her to touch her toes naked....shell never expect whats next
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SygS5yz7x5M

check out this other Liszt song, crazy!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by ordinary_story
dude.... Jason Becker...??
Eh...His interpretation of the 5th caprice by Paganini was accurate and all, but it was a bit too slow. Plus other guitarists like Li Jie can play Paganini a bit more accurately to classical standards.
Quote by The Virtuoso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SygS5yz7x5M

check out this other Liszt song, crazy!
That's also one of my favorites. I always liked the grand sound of his compositions.
Urrghh....I'm sick of all this classical music elitism.....

John Frusciante because i said so and it's all subjective anyway.
I dunno, I kind of have a problem with the guys being listed here. Technique, they're amazing, but doesn't that just make them robots? True musicianship is in composition.
Grand Paladin of the Knights Who Say Ni

PM SGstriker for quiz to join

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.
Liszt is one of my heros! He was ridiculously good, plus he drove the women crazy, haha. I've been learning some of his pieces and it's ridiculous.

Chopin is also one of my favourites, and had amazing compositions. His dynamics were great, and songs like Fantasy-Impromptu are very difficult.
Not sure, really. I really don't look for skill when I listen.

I know I LOOOOOVE Stanley Jordan's style, though.

He's one of the most skilled players I can think of right off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

Plus, that's one amazing cover. I like it more than the original, actually.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by scarecr0w
You know...I've always had this crazy theory that if there was a user here who spoke about Metal the same way I do about Classical, people wouldn't have as big a problem with him/her.
Quote by scarecr0w
Not really.
Quote by scarecr0w

lol its is an adolescent indulgence he will get over it like i did after playing the entire bach lute suite thing and being up my own ass and realising you dont need to advertise your musical 'greatness' because no one gives a ****.
Bono.

He's pretty much god.

You should all convert to Bonoism.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
EXACTLY! I mean what makes 90% of musicians famous? The songs they write. I mean, alot of people could play really popular songs but the challenge isn't that, its writing the really popular songs.

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by Bebemanger
I dunno, I kind of have a problem with the guys being listed here. Technique, they're amazing, but doesn't that just make them robots? True musicianship is in composition.
I get what you're saying, but to me, to have technical ability like many of the musicians named, they have to go through hours of practice a day. I can infer that they most likely have a passion and are very emotional towards music (or at least a high fascination). I don't know if you had Liszt in mind when you stated that, but on the off-chance that you did, when he played his own compositions at concerts, often times men would cry from enjoyment.
For my money it's Charlie Parker...

His playing is ultra fast, his phrases never end, and he rarely reapets himself...

Who else but Bird?
Quote by kriscornella2@g
lol its is an adolescent indulgence he will get over it like i did after playing the entire bach lute suite thing and being up my own ass and realising you dont need to advertise your musical 'greatness' because no one gives a ****.
Probably. My father, and just about all his friends and family that were around his age were all into Classic Rock when they were my age, but now they never listen to it....Wait a minute.....
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
For my money it's Charlie Parker...

His playing is ultra fast, his phrases never end, and he rarely reapets himself...

Who else but Bird?

john coltrane, one of the best composers ever, formed one of the best bands ever, was highly accomplished technically and emotionally on the sax and was on Kind of Blue.
Quote by The Madcap
I get what you're saying, but to me, to have technical ability like many of the musicians named, they have to go through hours of practice a day. I can infer that they most likely have a passion and are very emotional towards music (or at least a high fascination). I don't know if you had Liszt in mind when you stated that, but on the off-chance that you did, when he played his own compositions at concerts, often times men would cry from enjoyment.

And you don't think that the greats of the classical world didn't have that same passion? No, in my opinion, the greatest musician of all time is J.S. Bach by his sheer output.
Grand Paladin of the Knights Who Say Ni

PM SGstriker for quiz to join

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Or maybe he just thinks it's better, and he wants to spread the message? That's what being a musician is about, sharing music. The way he talks about Classical Music is mainly trying to get the rest of us to give it a shot, not to show that he's better than anyone. No one gives me static because I talk about Tom Waits, or Curt Kirkwood a lot, or Nick Drake. So, why give Madcap static? All he's doing is sharing.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by The Madcap
Probably. My father, and just about all his friends and family that were around his age were all into Classic Rock when they were my age, but now they never listen to it....Wait a minute.....

i was referring to your pompous advertising of yourself. its really not a groundbreaking thing to play asturias you may be proud but im getting the feeling if you were made of chocolate you would eat yourself.
Herman Ri?

I couldnt keep a straight face while typing that.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by kriscornella2@g
i was referring to your pompous advertising of yourself. its really not a groundbreaking thing to play asturias you may be proud but im getting the feeling if you were made of chocolate you would eat yourself.
Well, I didn't think it was that big of a deal to post that in my signature, considering I see people all the time here with signatures saying "Crit my cover", or links to there videos or threads in the riffs and recordings board.
Page 1 of 3