If you have ever been on my profile you'll know I dont play guitar, but i envy everyone who does, and it'd be a dream to learn. So with my birthday (This Thursday ) and Christmas coming up, I thought I might finally get enough money to buy a gee-tar.
I am a complete fkn n00b and need UGs help about some good starter packs or something for my first guitar.
I was told to never, ever go Squier.
I was thinking a Fender Strat Starter Pack. (I mean, It's a first guitar, no need to go all out) But just now someone told me that these are Squier.

Do they even make these starter packs in lefty? S'what I need.
How much money do I need?
Also, I've been meaning to ask, how many of your first guitars were second hand?

Edit: Keep in mind I live in Australia. Aussie currency.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Better.
I wouldn't recomend an electric for a first guitar, I say stick with an acoustic for a while.
This is my first guitar, and perfect for a begginer.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Talman-TCY10-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-519673-i1150698.gc It comes lefty too.
Of course southpaw guitars are going to cost more, but i can't find any packs right now. I will keep looking and PM you if I get anything.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Quote by t3gan
If you have ever been on my profile you'll know I dont play guitar, but i envy everyone who does, and it'd be a dream to learn. So with my birthday (This Thursday ) and Christmas coming up, I thought I might finally get enough money to buy a gee-tar.
I am a complete fkn n00b and need UGs help about some good starter packs or something for my first guitar.
I was thinking a Fender Strat Starter Pack. (I mean, It's a first guitar, no need to go all out) But just now someone told me that these are Squier.

Do they even make these starter packs in lefty? S'what I need.
How much money do I need?
Also, I've been meaning to ask, how many of your first guitars were second hand?

Edit: Keep in mind I live in Australia. Aussie currency.

If you are sure you want an electric (or even an acoustic) go to billy hyde. They have an excellent range of beginner packs that are better than the squiers. And one thing that you need to keep in mind is that the people who tell you this are guitar freaks. They need everything to be perfect. There is nothing wrong with learning on one, but eventually you will want to upgrade.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
You know, I'm left handed, and I find a right handed guitar to be easier to play than a lefty.
If you ask me, I would start on an electric. There is more action on my acoustic than elec, which makes it harder to fret barre chords or do some faster passages.

I would recommend this as a first guitar. It was very comfortable for me to use

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-511077-i1146648.gc
I'm actually right handed, but i find left easy to play on
And I would really like a electric as a first.
If I get an acoustic, then I'll only want a electric more.
Its very hard for me to save. So I just figured I'd go straight to the electrics.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
ya know for a beginner guitar it doesn't matter electric or acoustic. Whatever you like better, just make sure the guitar will stay in tune and buy a tuner for when the inevitable happens.

and as i just said in another thread, with a little work, a squier strat is not always a bad guitar.
I'm thinking up to AUS$500
But I would prefer less.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Uh, yeah.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I suggest either a Roland Microcube or Roland Cube 15x as an amp. That's around $210-$230. For a guitar I suggest either an Epiphone G310 or Ibanez RG170DX. It's rather difficult to work with $500. If possible, you might be able to get a better combo and then haggle the price down.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
Check used gear, but go with someone who knows guitars well if possible. Because you could buy a guitar with a totally warped neck or a amp where the EQ dosn't work properly and you might not even notice.
Ive never seen a starter pack that was lefty. And the squire isnt a bad guitar for its price. You just cant go slamking on the wammy bar and expect it to stay in tune. But as you would be a beginner I dont see you using a wammy much. Stay away from cheap guitars with a floyd rose. All I see is noobs on here saying they cant get it to work right or put strings on it. If you get frustrated early on you wont stick with it. As you are a lefty there wont be much choice when it comes to guitars. There out there but most stores dont even bother to carry them.
Honestly, people exaggerate the quality of Squire. They aren't that bad.
Just try to stay away from cheap B.C. Rich guitars and Squires. They're really not bad, I mean they play and work fine, they just have poor quality craftsmanship, hardware, materials, and don't sound very good.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I would stay away from Squire and B.C. Rich.

IMO, and I have no idea why, the people I meet who started on acoustic guitar and play both, have a very much more in depth appreciation for music then the close minded bastards who only play electric and don't see a reason to play acoustic at all.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by t3gan
I'm actually right handed, but i find left easy to play on
And I would really like a electric as a first.
If I get an acoustic, then I'll only want a electric more.
Its very hard for me to save. So I just figured I'd go straight to the electrics.

yea well pretty much everyone who just starts out thinks its easier that way because they are used to holding something with their strong hand. let me tell you, dont bother with it. even if you are left handed my advice is to NOT play lefty. theres no point really. and seeing as you are just starting, dont get in the habit of playing lefty. i know actually a few people who are lefty but play righty. even some pros like mark knopfler are like that.

it might feel weird at first but really you will get used to it. when i started i thought it felt wrong to play righty and im a righty as well. but thats really just because i never played guitar before. it felt right to put it in the right hand. but when i did that, it felt wierd to pick with the left hand. each way felt wrong. so you might as well get used to the "right" way.

honestly, i dont even know why they exist. i mean, you dont see any other instruments that are left and right handed. whats the point? for what ever reason they were made to be played a certain way. you'll save money too when you dont have to find and buy a lefty that you want.

but honestly, squires arent too bad. it really depends. normally id say try it out and buy it because you like it not because of the brand. but seeing as you dont play, you should find someone who can play and have them try guitars out. see which one you think sounds the best and then try it yourself and see if you like the feel of it. for starting out a squire is not that bad.
get a yamaha pacifica pack from billy hydes. it comes with the pacifica 112 guitar, 15w amp, tuner,gig bag, strap, lead and pick. its 549AUD, but just tell the people over there that its your first guitar and you really like it, and they'll give you a discount. the people at billy hydes are awesome. they love their job, and they should be glad to help you out in anyway possible, you might even get free lessons. you could also get a fender strat pack if you like it more.
another option is buying the amp and guitar seperately.
Okay, fine, I'll get a righty. Only cause I really trust UG people as this is their area. And you have a point with the strongest hand thing.
I guess I will just learn whatever I teach myself.
This will make the hunt a lot easier and a little cheaper then, I hope.
I may even buy an old one off a friend.
First guitars being second hand ftw.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
if your left handed, get a left handed guitar :?

then again im right handed and play left handed :P

do aire guitar to find out what hand you are.

Make sure you check the guitar through thoroughly if you are buying a second hand one, if its electric try it through an amp to make sure everything is tip top, and don't be afraid to haggle the price

Hope that helps
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

Ibanez RG321

Probably one of the best guitars you'll find for the money. I don't know if it comes lefty, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. Tons of leftys play righty and I'm sure a few rightys play lefty. If you teach yourself to play righty, it might be harder now, but down the road you'll be just as good.

Ibanez is probably the best company to go to if your on a budget.

Anways a couple tips...

Don't worry too much about how the stock pickups sound, pickups are easy to replace.

Worry about wood. Mahagony>NATO>Basswood>Agathis.

Go with a friend who plays guitar like someone else said. They should be able to spot quality, assuming they arn't an idiot.

Pick what feels right.

If you go to a guitar store, don't buy the guitar on the spot. Ask them to put it in the back for you, then go home and do research on it to make sure its what you want.

Hope i helped
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
yea well pretty much everyone who just starts out thinks its easier that way because they are used to holding something with their strong hand. let me tell you, dont bother with it. even if you are left handed my advice is to NOT play lefty. theres no point really. and seeing as you are just starting, dont get in the habit of playing lefty. i know actually a few people who are lefty but play righty. even some pros like mark knopfler are like that.

it might feel weird at first but really you will get used to it. when i started i thought it felt wrong to play righty and im a righty as well. but thats really just because i never played guitar before. it felt right to put it in the right hand. but when i did that, it felt wierd to pick with the left hand. each way felt wrong. so you might as well get used to the "right" way.

honestly, i dont even know why they exist. i mean, you dont see any other instruments that are left and right handed. whats the point? for what ever reason they were made to be played a certain way. you'll save money too when you dont have to find and buy a lefty that you want.

but honestly, squires arent too bad. it really depends. normally id say try it out and buy it because you like it not because of the brand. but seeing as you dont play, you should find someone who can play and have them try guitars out. see which one you think sounds the best and then try it yourself and see if you like the feel of it. for starting out a squire is not that bad.
^ The man speaks the truth. You would be wise to heed his advice.
Quote by bikersbasin

do aire guitar to find out what hand you are.

Haha, I was asking my friend today if it means anything if I go right when I air guitar, cause I do.
Your all loads of help, thanks heaps. Ily guys
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I think you should get the amp and whith whatever money you have left you then buy the best possible guitar that you can. Use Ebay theres a lot of great deals on there.
Quote by echoe09
I think you should get the amp and whith whatever money you have left you then buy the best possible guitar that you can. Use Ebay theres a lot of great deals on there.

If using eBay, I suggest trying to find auctions in your city. Personally I wouldn't risk P&H for something like a guitar over long distances. If pick up is available, that would be your best option.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
If lefty feels right to you, just play lefty and tell all the people who say otherwise to bugger off. I did it and don't regret it ^^ Trust me, the only thing that will be harder if you're lefty is finding a guitar, but since you already said you won't be buying a new guitar every month that shouldn't be a problem.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
You know what you should do, start with a really crap guitar, then move up in the guitars. I started out with a New York Pro stratocaster copy and had it for a while until I moved onto my awesome Epiphone G-400 Korina. But don't get a starter pack, you should buy everything seperate, then you can actually pick cheap high quality stuff.
Quote by t3gan

If you buy a strat pack you're pretty much getting the same quality guitar as a squier.

I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I bought an electric but I wish I bought an acoustic. With low end\beginer gear you cant expect that much of a decent tone\sound, especially if you want to play metal. I find myself using the clean channel all the time now, atleast there I get decent tone.

Though a roland cube can be an exception I think. I heard lots of people say it can make low end guitars sound awsome lol

BTW I'm lefty but I play right.
Quote by MrDinkleberry
I would stay away from Squire and B.C. Rich.

IMO, and I have no idea why, the people I meet who started on acoustic guitar and play both, have a very much more in depth appreciation for music then the close minded bastards who only play electric and don't see a reason to play acoustic at all.

...oh, the irony.

TS, there is NOTHING wrong with a Squier for a first guitar, yes there's better but there's worse too. They're decent enough and offer good value for money.

And if you like electric music then get an electric, it's easy enough to fudge through acoustic stuff on an electric, whilst attempting to play distorted electric stuff on an acoustic has to be one of the most frustratingly unrewarding experiences on earth.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just throwing it out there but... How about an Ibanez GAX30 beginner pack? I love mine!! It's about $450 NZ
Definately try before you buy on low priced guitars. Their quality control can be terrible. Apart from my pickups, i think my squier strat is a decent guitar. Ive played a couple exact same models which have had problems, but mine turned out to be good. Its very hit and miss for most models in this price range.
im a 1 year self tought guitarist. Personally, i dont think that your 1st choice of guitar matters to much as long as the guitar doesnt break or anything. i started with a second hand First Act and have been using it to this day. My friend who is somewhat self tought with a bit of my help bought a Squier pack. It might just be cause i started with a 1st act but that squier isnt bad at all. another thing, try to listen to what people before me have said about what hand to play with. Personally, i dont recomend a first act, in fact i think it should be the last thing on your mind, get a yamaha or a squier. after a year or so, or whenever you think your ready for a true guitar get something that fits your style, in a few weeks im getting a Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio wile the friend i refered to earlier is getting a schecter omen 6
Quote by duff356
im a 1 year self tought guitarist. Personally, i dont think that your 1st choice of guitar matters to much as long as the guitar doesnt break or anything. i started with a second hand First Act and have been using it to this day. My friend who is somewhat self tought with a bit of my help bought a Squier pack. It might just be cause i started with a 1st act but that squier isnt bad at all. another thing, try to listen to what people before me have said about what hand to play with. Personally, i dont recomend a first act, in fact i think it should be the last thing on your mind, get a yamaha or a squier. after a year or so, or whenever you think your ready for a true guitar get something that fits your style, in a few weeks im getting a Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio wile the friend i refered to earlier is getting a schecter omen 6

I agree. And if you start with a crap guitar, you'll get to experience what it's like from both worlds of crappyness and goodness!
Quote by timo1
Electric is a lot more fun to play on and IMO is easier to play.How much can you spend?

It may be easier... but when learning songs I try to play them on my acoustic and then move to electric to make it more accurate and precise.

Seriously, its not all about ease.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Quote by t3gan
Haha, I was asking my friend today if it means anything if I go right when I air guitar, cause I do.
Your all loads of help, thanks heaps. Ily guys

Like it.
Umm... The lower level epiphones are bad news (like the specials... No), as epople have said, Affinity squiers always get the spider sense tingling... The G-310 sounds a good idea, although all the epiphones seem to be doing a bit of a price-crash, so i dunno - Get a solid amp first, & then blow what you have left on the guitar.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
don't listen to what people say about to get an acoustic or electric for your first guitar, a guitar is a guitar, just play the guitar that fits the style of music you want to play. I've also been told by guitar teachers at the place i get lessons at that electrics are the better way to go for beginners, but i personally think it dosen't matter which guitar you start on, and i got the squier strat starter pack, i wouldn't recommend it, unless you like tuning your guitar ever 10 minutes
Quote by rockinroll
don't listen to what people say about to get an acoustic or electric for your first guitar, a guitar is a guitar, just play the guitar that fits the style of music you want to play. I've also been told by guitar teachers at the place i get lessons at that electrics are the better way to go for beginners, but i personally think it dosen't matter which guitar you start on, and i got the squier strat starter pack, i wouldn't recommend it, unless you like tuning your guitar ever 10 minutes

Uhh no, because the reason why you should start with acoustic is that it helps strengthen your fingers and dexterity. Electrics just to advance.