I have an Ibanez RG321 and I liked it, but I wanna trade it in towards the purchase of a Jackson guitar. I really like the look of them and the great things I hear about them. I play nothing buy metal and I heard they are really nice metal guitars. I also want to try the whole real Floyd rose thing and get used to it, instead of taking the easy way out with a fixed bridge(and yes I know all the horror stories of an FR) I am thinking of staying under the $500 dollar mark and I am interesting in the JS30 or the DKMG Dinky. The MG dinky is more money but would it be worth it?

Also I loved Ibanez but I want something new and fresh and I don't want the same neck again cause I heard most Ibanez's no matter how much they are will have pretty much the same neck. I am really looking for a neck that does not fretbuzz wen the strings are touched with light-med tension... It happens to me a lot of my RG when I am doing hammer ons and my pinky does not have the power to push harder on a far string so I get massive fret buzz...

Any other suggestions or nice guitars you would recomened under $500? I don't plan on buying until Tax returns so I got time to study...

Also How much do you think I could get Trade in for my RG when it is mint condition and only 2-1/2 years old? I bought it for $350...

Thanks....
Guitars:
Acoustic electric:Yamaha APX-4A-SPL
Electric guitar: Ibanez RG 321
Was that an answer or a statement? lol
Guitars:
Acoustic electric:Yamaha APX-4A-SPL
Electric guitar: Ibanez RG 321
my guitarist has a dkmg and we all love it, it sounds awesome(from Metallica to anything heavy), and with the Floyd it never goes out of tune. Not to mention the thing is beautiful (he got it in Cobalt Blue).
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
My problem is the lube,it's not easing the pain,it just makes it less gripy

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Wait a minute! Do they send the boxes in boxes!?

EASY MONEY!!!!
Last edited by UltimateNirvana at Nov 11, 2007,
Jacksons are lovely guitars, but with a 500$ budget, you're not going to get a very large upgrade from your Ibanez. You gotta realize that fret buzz has more to do with setup of the action than with the neck construction (unless it's got a crappy, unlevel fretjob).
Quote by DARQMX

I also want to try the whole real Floyd rose thing and get used to it, instead of taking the easy way out with a fixed bridge(and yes I know all the horror stories of an FR).

Also I loved Ibanez but I want something new and fresh and I don't want the same neck again cause I heard most Ibanez's no matter how much they are will have pretty much the same neck. I am really looking for a neck that does not fretbuzz wen the strings are touched with light-med tension... It happens to me a lot of my RG when I am doing hammer ons and my pinky does not have the power to push harder on a far string so I get massive fret buzz...

Thanks....

The reason why the RG321 is so nice, is because you avoid the hassle of a cheap Floyd Rose.

If you want a Floyd Rose equipped guitar, go for something with an OFR, or a proper LFR, like the Edge Pro.

By the way, the necks on certain models have the same profile, but that doesn't mean they don't have different necks. Also, fretbuzz is not down to neck profile, but has more to do with the action, the fretjob and the curve of the neck.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 11, 2007,
I hate how everyone bad mouths jackson on this forum, I own a jackson V kevin bond signature series and it is fantastic, everyone is like the cheaper ones are crap.. Well they arnt man, I have recently sat down for 2 hours and jammed out on a dinky with a maple neck and I have never wanted another guitar more in my life, I have considered financing this guitar, and it went for the low low price of 650... Buy a jackson you will be happy...
Quote by GreenTuna
I hate how everyone bad mouths jackson on this forum, I own a jackson V kevin bond signature series and it is fantastic, everyone is like the cheaper ones are crap.. Well they arnt man, I have recently sat down for 2 hours and jammed out on a dinky with a maple neck and I have never wanted another guitar more in my life, I have considered financing this guitar, and it went for the low low price of 650... Buy a jackson you will be happy...

Well, you can't really judge an entire brand on a few guitars. I personally love my JS30, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it other than the shoddy pickups. But that doesn't mean all JS30s are almost perfect.
Sell your Ibanez, if you haven't done that already. And then look for a Jackson dk2m, they're superb for their price.
I Like Cake
- Does this $500 include the money you get from selling your RG321MH? Are you willing to go used?

- Have you played any Jacksons? I would highly advise going to a guitar store and trying some out. The neck dimensions are way different than most Ibanez guitars.

- How often do you changing tunings? With an FR, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to change between C -> D or whatever. With a handy hardtail guitar (hint hint, your Ibanez) you can just changing tuning within minutes.

- Don't limit yourself to one company! Jackson do make pretty sweet guitars (the Kelly is one hot guitar ), but also look out for some other brands like LTD, Schecter, Kramer or even some higher end Ibanez (S320 is a really good choice).
I love Jackson the build quality is really great and they have and really good feel to me, there necks are the nicest ones I've played and just feel really right to me.
I think though you wont get that much of an upgrade on your Ibanez for $500 unless your looking at a used one or something.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Jackson DK2M SW.

It's amazing...or well atleast it suit me.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Never buy anything Js if its not your first guitar. A few suggestions slightly above you price range, RR-3, RR-5, KE-3, DK-2, Dk2m DXMG and SLSMG. If you can manage to get about $1300 get an SL-3, it'll be worth your while.
I'm planning to get the Jackson DKMGT, no FR. I don't like messing with those things. I much prefer a string through for sustain and more string versatility without messing with a tremolo.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by Donkey Fly
Jackson DK2M SW.

It's amazing...or well atleast it suit me.

Another believer!
I Like Cake
A Jackson guitar with an Original Floyd Rose for under 500 is impossible
first of all
***YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY BRAND NEW***
$500 is plenty for a DKMG with the carved top. i got mine for $175
i built up an RG-project guitar from ebay parts. well really, a neck, the body and the edge trem. i had an ofr collecting its 9th coating of dust in a box somewhere in the back of my closet so i decided it needed a new home on a guitar. so i started looking on ebay.
after a little while i saw a previous dkmg with the emg-hz. the only problem:
a broken headstock.
but my local tech has rebuilt numerous headstocks. litterally from splinters. this one had a clean break, so i knew it would be no problem before.
anyway, i used buy it now.
guitar came. brought the neck down and she said "no prob, dude"
but i thought it over, and for another $230 i bought a practically brand new dlmg neck off ebay. . tuners included. no locking nut-bed, but one came with the broken neck, so no worries. and stewmac has them anyway. or ebay. just measure the proper width
so $405 when all done. and my old ofr.
i parted my RG out on ebay, and still have to ebay the Edge trem. so i think that is the way to go.
anyway, its my own personal preference, but i like the jack'er WAY more than the RG. the shape of the neck feels better. i guess its the compound radius, but i really don't know what that is. hahahaha
i LOVE the carved top, maybe for ergonomic reasons, but aesthetically it is very attractive looking to me. and the see-thru black is total sex-a-licious!!! i also like the look of the up-turned headstock. and the neck is dead-on straight
the emg-hz are just fine to my ears. btw i rarely go anywhere NEAR the clean channel. i compared the 2 back to back, and with the Tone Zone in the RG, i thought that the HZs had more definition and clarity. but i'm gonna try the TZ in the jackson, just to hear what it sounds like. maybe you'll see those up on ebay, along with the Jackson-Floyd that the guitar came with.
hope this helps.
Last edited by sethp at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Chimeray
A Jackson guitar with an Original Floyd Rose for under 500 is impossible

with all respect, i beg to differ. of course i bought my ofr 20 years ago, so i don't really factor that into the total cost of my new-to-me dkmg. of course the guitar is not brand new, but i WILL NEVER buy brand new ever.
and from what i've heard, the jackson trems are just fine. also i've heard the schaller and the gotoh are just as good or even better than the ofr
Last edited by sethp at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Justin Credible
Never buy anything Js if its not your first guitar. A few suggestions slightly above you price range, RR-3, RR-5, KE-3, DK-2, Dk2m DXMG and SLSMG. If you can manage to get about $1300 get an SL-3, it'll be worth your while.

I second looking into any of these used, but make sure you get one of the newer DK2 series or Dk/SLSMG series that have the real duncans and nicer trems, as the older models with the chrome/pewter trems are of questionable quality. As for Jackson, I think they far and away build the best quilty guitar in there range. Pick one up and it just feels well built and like it will last forever. The downside is hardware finishes and pots/switches are a bit on the cheap side, but once you change it, you have a guitar that can hang with anything around $1200-$1400 imo.