Hiyas. I know nothing about recording or mics, so please put your messages in simple speak, I mean REALLY simple

I need a microphone that plugs into my pc and can record electric and maybe also acoustic guitar. On my electric I play a lot of rock and distorted music, so it needs to be able to record those sounds well.

Secondly, if you answer this question, please, if you can, tell me where I can buy this mic from in the UK. I live in the country, so it would have to be an order that could be placed via the website. The reason I said in the UK is cos I am 16 and my parents don't think anything is secure, so it's a cheque or nothing. I know I know, they're security freaks but I ain't gonna try and persuade them, I'd have more luck getting manure from a wooden rocking horse. Anyway, thanks guys and gals,
Fern

PS I have a budget of about 200 pounds MAXIMUM
Well, for the mic I'd say Shure SM57. You'd need an interface to connect it to your PC, but you can get those for little money, I think. And I'd suggest you have a look at Turnkey's site. They're good for that kind of thing.

www.turnkey.co.uk
I have an Alphard. It's cheap and it's fine for me
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
i was wondering to get a mic to record too.

currently i connect the "record out" of my amp to a small mixer (with a jack cable) and then the siganl goes from the mixer to the "line in" of the PC (which is the same as record directly to pc, right? just have some control over the volume with the mixer)

If i bought a mic and use the same method (mic-mixer-pc) would i get a better result? would my mixer's mic preamp make a better recording possible? or not?

About the thread... i really heard good things about the shure sm57. if i buy a mic, that would be it
Guitar amps are usually mic'd twice. A dynamic mic placed right in the cone and a condenser mic placed further away.

The Shure SM57 seems to be industry standard when it comes to dynamic mics for instruments (and the SM58 for vocals) but as far as condensers are concerned, nobody has really broken through with "the" mic. Audio Technica make some fairly nice ones as well as Rode but condensers are usually very expensive for the nice ones.
Quote by Denthúl
Well, for the mic I'd say Shure SM57. You'd need an interface to connect it to your PC, but you can get those for little money, I think. And I'd suggest you have a look at Turnkey's site. They're good for that kind of thing.

www.turnkey.co.uk

+1

great mic
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Thanks guys I'll check out that Shure one. As for an interface, what exactly is that? And little money? sorry for all these questions but I need a new mic by Friday cos I am entering a comp, but don't wanna buy something then find out I need a load of other stuff to use it
Thjanks again.
SM57 definitely. And the little money they go for over in the States is around $100. So that'd be around 50 pounds, I think? I'm not sure how many dollars are in a pound.
Gear

Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Ibanez RG370DX
BC Rich Warlock SE
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series (Kahler trem)
BC Rich Mockingbird Acrylic Ice Series
BC Rich Mockingbird Spiro Light
Line6 Bogner 1X12 Tube Amp
Maybe an sm57 BETA? ... You'd need a mixer and a cable to go into your soundcard input.
There are actually some pretty decent usb condensers out now that would cut out the mixer.

Also, you will be limited by your soundcard. For £200, you should be able to squeeze an sm57, a cheap 4 channel mixer and some basic software. Maybe cakewalk or cubase, and a new souncard.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm currently using an sm58 through a cheap mixer into the souncard input... and the soundcard which is a stock laptop one is creating a bit of unwanted noise.

Good luck
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.