Ok, so basically i've been playing for nearly two years on my trusty squier P bass, at which point i felt i got sufficiently good enough at pick and finger style playing and i kinda got bored, so i picked up a guitar and have been mostly playing my LP for the last 10 months or so.
Thankfully, I started listening to Primus, before diving head long into the realms of talented bass players and now i feel the urge to progress my slap technique quite a lot.
And, IMO a squier P bass isnt the best fit for this style of playing.

I would like Les Claypool's bass but for under £600

Any suggestions of a good bass to fit this style of playing, any help appreciated.
Ibanez BTB200, they have a great low rumble and wickedly controllable high end too.

They are better for songs like... My Name is Mud, Lacquer Head, or Tommy the Cat.

For songs like Jerry was a racecar Driver, you would be better off lookin at something with more strings and less rumble.
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
To be honest, I use my Squire P-Bass and it works wonderfully... do you still have the stock strings on there? Because I have changed mine, and your strings may be the problem... also, if you were to buy this you can make it sounds just like Claypool! I just ordered it after giving it a test drive, and it's worth getting... you'll want to use it with every bass and rig you get!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
I think you should have a look a Schecter Stilletto's they are great value for money and have a great slap sound. They do really well at getting the very snappy and muddy sound Claypool uses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8FhA8TLqvc, listen to that video to see how well the schecter can recreate Claypools tone.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
I just don't feel comfortable slapping on a P bass, for me it just feels awkward.

I think I'll give a Stiletto 5 string a look, i've been interested in them for a long time
Schecter basses have beautiful tone for slap. It's erotic. However, I also think that my P-bass knock-off is great for slapping, so maybe you'll disagree.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
check out my BOTM thread, if you want to read about all the pros of getting a Schecter Stilleto custom 5, I use that bass, and can get a pretty similar sound to claypool with it and and my digitech BP 80