So this is the rig I am hopefully gonna end up getting, in dribs and drabs of course:

Ibanez Sr-505
Warick ProFet 3.2 Head
GK Backline 210 BLX

What (if anything) should I change about this?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Bass is a great bass for the price. I'm not a fan of the neck, but it was solidly build with a damn nice tone.

I actaully can't comment on that head. Never had one to try out. Though it's big brother was awesome, so I'll give it my seal of approval.

I don't think, howevewr that backline cabs get a very good press. GK aren't stocked near me, so just try it out.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you want highs and mids stick with the GK 2x10, but, correct me if I'm wrong, You're buying a five-string. So your going to want some bigger speakers for the low B. I personally have a 12" and it still makes it sound like a fat chick farting. I would say at least you need a 15" I'm personally adding an 18" But that's because I love the lows. So I would say swap it out for an ashdown 15" cab. Or maybe a Hartke. Just my two cents.
Yeah I was wondering about that, I may be getting a custom made 15", mainly because making it your self is much cheaper.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah I was wondering about that, I may be getting a custom made 15", mainly because making it your self is much cheaper.

Do you have experience making bass cabs? It isn't anything like the guitar cab shove speakers in a box (ok, the box needs certain properties, but that's fairly easy to work out). Bass cabs are pretty damn tricky to build, do to all the the extra bits you need to accomodate for the extra power bass frequencies need.

I know due to my reserch into building myself one a while back.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
No, but I have a thing I got from this site, it used to be a sticky in one of the other forums, it's Cabinet tuturial. It was very, very, very detailed in how to make it. I plan on refering to that quite frequently.

One of the boys in my wood shop class succesfully created a perfect "Boom" where almost 100% was deflected and what should've been two massive 15" and 2x12" roaring came out to sound like 2x10" with extra bass. He then tore the cab to peices, bought one somebody made and stuck it back in there and oh my god it was awesome.
Back to your original question. The first two are nice pieces of gear, but you can do much better than the GK Backline series. They are not good cabinets at all, and you should definitely rethink that. They have this odd property of breaking. All the time.
So the Cab isn't that great, what do you think I should get in around the same price ballpark?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Can you buy used?

If so I'd try to look for some of the old Trace Elliot or Peavey stuff. I'm talking about the old Us/Uk made stuff. Its better quality than anything new you can get for that price these days. for £150 you could get a decent Trace or Peavey 1x15 with money to spare.

Just keep your eye on Ebay and your local classifieds, they show up pretty regularly.

If not though, The Ashdown MAG stuff is pretty nice IMO (I've got a 1x15)
I will proberbly get the amp stuff used if at all possible, though the bass I will buy new. Thanks for the suggestions on cabs guys.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
On the backline cab:

They really aren't that great, I tried my bass and my head with a backline 4x10 and my cheap Hartke cab sounds alot better. If the 2x10's are anything like the 4x10's stay away from em.

The brands everyone else mentioned are good to look at, so i won't list any.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I can't comment on the bass or cab, having not played them, but I can say I don't like that head. I'm occassionally forced to use it when my band practices at a studio esque place and I can never get a good tone out of the damn thing. It's infuriating.
Quote by RJayZ
I can't comment on the bass or cab, having not played them, but I can say I don't like that head. I'm occassionally forced to use it when my band practices at a studio esque place and I can never get a good tone out of the damn thing. It's infuriating.

Wouldn't that be the cab, not the amp itself, or am I just being stupid.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
^ could be either. A bad head through a good cab won't sound good, neither will a good head through a bad cab.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by Biehayn
Try the GK goldline series for cabs though. Backline may not be great but the Goldline are surely better.

]
Actually the goldlines are hardly better than the backlines at all. In fact they're virtually the same.
There's a program you can download that will do all the math of building cabs for you. I'll find the name and post it later.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless