Does the valveking combo sound any different than the head? Reviews on musician friend say the combo is only good for rock/blues kind of stuff yet the head has awesome reviews for metal. Is there really a difference?

Also if you have any other recommendations for other combo all tube amps (for death/thrash metal) about $600 I'm all ears

Edit: I need it loud enough to jam with another guitar, bass and drums.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Nov 11, 2007,
i wouldnt go gor the val if i were you...

save up a little bit and go for the engl fireball or if you want a more versatile amp go for the blackmore!!!

ps: i really dont know but i dont think that the combo will sound different from the half stuck....
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
I would check those out but theres no way I'm going to get that much money any time soon. Also I'm in desperate need of an amp as mine blew out and I'm playing through my computer sad I know.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
Quote by dickeskind

save up a little bit and go for the engl fireball or if you want a more versatile amp go for the blackmore!!!

ENGL? those are in a whole different class! he's asking about a $500 amp, you're recommending one that's over 2 grand!

the difference for the VK head and combo is that the speakers in the combo's are crap. I played a head through a 6506 cab and you could get much more 'metal' tones with the it than the combo. but I use an EQ on mine and it gets me to the metal plateau easily.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
So you are saying if I got the speakers replaced it would sound much better? Would that be worth the money?

Edit: I'm still open to suggestions
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Last edited by Vandals572 at Nov 11, 2007,
definetely. I was planning on putting some celestions in my combo. but decided to get a Rivera Knucklhead tre instead. I'll have it in a few weeks. and I'll run the VK as a clean amp as the cleans sound great on it.

it's not a bad amp for the money if you want a good balance between clean and overdrive. but if you're solely concerned about the overdrive, you should look at grabbing a used Peavey 5150.
Yeah, I was expecting someone to say that, it's just that they are hard to find
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
I hear you. what you can do is call guitar center. tell them how much you have to spend and they'll track one down for you, and even have it sent to you.

I was in michigan and called a local place and they found me one in wisconsin. but I already bought the VK by the time they called me back that day.

but the 5150 isn't the best amp out there. it's just one of the most accessible tube amps under a grand that give good overdrive.

and like I said, you can still EQ massive gain on the VK. and the effects loop works very well.
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
but the 5150 isn't the best amp out there. it's just one of the most accessible tube amps under a grand that give good overdrive.

In my opinion, one of the next best things would be a Randall RG50TC combo. Excellent for metal
Quote by Denthúl
In my opinion, one of the next best things would be a Randall RG50TC combo. Excellent for metal

solid state? I don't think so.
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
solid state? I don't think so.

Valve, mate

Clicky.

Edit:

Quote by Vandals572
^Ah I was expecting to see Denthul post here

It's mandatory. I'm a help addict...
Quote by Denthúl

+1, probably the best for what you're looking for.