So what kind of tubes go over the best for sweet blues cleans and dirty blues overdrive? Im looking into new tubes, and I need to know what works.

"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
+1 to that. If anyone could help us out. I need new tubes for my Hot Rod.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
yea, same here man!
gone." - J.Lansdowne
dont touch any of the fender ones.thats my advice.thats all i no
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Put this stuff in GG&A

Moved.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Why on earth would you want to change Hotrod tubes? They are great for clean and dirty blues if you know how to equalise your amp....
Yeah I guess so, but then why wouldnt he just get hotrod tubes again?
Blues huh tough call El-34s break up earlier for blues overdriven tones but 6L6s have more headroom
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by forsaknazrael
You talk ab out them as if they're easily exchangeable in all amps..

on most ya you just have to rebias the amp
i dont know many amps that need lots of modding to change tubes
How many amps do you know? I know that I couldn't just shove EL84s into my JCM900 because it isn't designed to take them - it's an EL34 amp.
I think the very, very best thing you can do for an amp like a Hot Rod is a set of THD Yellowjackets. Pricey, but basically gives you an entirely new El84-equipped Class A amp as well as your original one.Drops your output wattage to about a third so you get really nice power tube distortion.

It's not even strictly a mod, just slots straight into a standard octal tube slot without any biasing etc. Obviously for really big, unmic'd gigs you may need to swap your old tubes back in, but it's well worth it.

Other than that, I can't think of a 'best' power tube for blues, although you can get great results by using a 12AT7 in the phase inverter preamp slot. This was a feature of most of the 'classic' fender amps but was sacrificed in the Hot Rod series - to allow for more preamp gain, I guess.

I was considering selling my Mesa/Boogie a while ago as it was too heavy and modern for me, but with an AT7 in the PI slot it's a blues/rock monster!
thanks for the replies guys. ok more info: the tubes are screwed, i bought a floor model and im getting really weird, nasty noises at higher volumes. Id prefer more headroom to easily overdriven ones, and i like a tube that could offer great cleans that are very warm and full, but dirty and bluesy when driven.
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Well...
JJ is an excellent brand for the power tubes.
For the preamps, I like tung-sols or JJ's. Just my opinion though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yea ive heard great things about the tungsols
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Yep, they're nice and balanced.
JJ's sound great when cranked.
Their EL84/EL34 tubes are better than their 6l6's though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
JJ 6l6s. Tung-sol 12AX7s in the preamp and an EH 12AX7 in the phase inverter. For a bit lower gain you can use a JAN/GE or Philips 5751 in the V1 spot. Jazzier cleans are available with an RCA or other NOS 12AT7 in the preamp and a 5751 in the phase inverter.

The problem with the hot rod and blues series is that they get rather stiff and boxy when you turn up the gain. A good way to get the looser feel and sound for blues is to lower the gain on the amp and turn up the master, and then use a warmer overdrive pedal to bump the gain. An EQ can have a similar effect but the bass response of the stock speaker and the preamp circuit can be limiting.
To make the amp more touch-sensitive, a friend of mine will sometimes run a fuzz face type pedal into a clean boost straight into the power amp, which removes the boxiness of the HRD preamp and warms the sound up. The fuzz face circuit in particular is sensitive to dynamics and volume control, so it is a good substitute for a tube preamp.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Nov 12, 2007,
i love my tubes in my Blues Jr.

3 TungSol 12AX7s, 2 JJ/Tesla EL84/6BQ5s. they're chimey, fat, nice bluesy sound.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
thanks for the help guys

gone." - J.Lansdowne