Hey, Ive been playing instruments for a while [clarinet, now bass], and Ive learned a number of scale forms. question is, how exactly do i use them in playing? Im hearing everyone says "learn scales" but why?

Should i learn modes too?
well everything you do is based around a scale, say you are playing um...seven nations army right? you are using the scales, and yes learn modes as well they will help you write/ improvise better.
I've written plenty of music without scales, but they can really improve your writing. And modes are essentially a scale of sorts (well, at least when you use it to write. I think.), so learn them.
Different way of playing a scale. But let's say your playing a song that's in C (We'll keep it simple) Your major scale will be...

G-----------------2--4--5--|
D-------2--3--5------------|
A-3--5----------------------|
E----------------------------|

O.k, let's improv with that...

G----------------------4-5-------5~~-2~~------------5~~~---|
D---------2----------------5~~---3~--0~-----------------------|
A-3~~5---3----5~~-------------------------0--2--3~~~~~-|
E-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Pretty simple nothing complex, just uses the C Major scale.
Last edited by FbSa at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Fama
I've written plenty of music without scales, but they can really improve your writing. And modes are essentially a scale of sorts (well, at least when you use it to write. I think.), so learn them.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that statement.

Did you use the 12 tone system? Music by chance? Tone Row? Whole-Tone?

Every Key has a scale. If you are playing in a key (or even if you're not playing in a key, like a-tonal music) then you are using a scale. Simple as that.

Everything uses a scale, whether it's chromatic, whole-tone, major, minor, etc.
Lets see if I can get a concrete example here. If I play a song with a guitarist and he drops into an A minor vamp(Aeolian/natural minor), which is in the key of C (no sharps or flats), I can do a nice improv bass line using the A minor scale.

And yes, everything is written in some sort of scale / mode. You may not consciously know you are "writing" music in a scale, but all music is based on scales and keys, even non-Western music.