Me and my buddies are playing a small gig and we're gonna cover 'Umbrella' by Rihanna, and I'm looking to throw a solo in. However I really can't seem to get anything that works, so if anyone wouldn't mind having a go at making up a little solo for me that'd be great. Not looking for any shredding or anything, just a mellow, heartfelt solo. Thanks!
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

"The sun is gone, but I have light..." -- Kurt Cobain

"It's better to burn out then to fade away..." -- Neil Young
I could have a go at it, I'll go downl... buy the song and see if I can come up with anything later this evening.
2 whole comments and know recognition/annilation of the fact his band is covering a Rihanna.

... And then there was hope for the world.

O and my best bet would be to maybe work off of the chorus and maybe work your way up higher and higher up the neck as a closer solo. I don't know though. Good luck!!
Haha thanks Aziraphale that'd be great.

And what new one are you talking about -SpasticInk-? Is it done by Rihanna?
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by aguynamedlarry
2 whole comments and know recognition/annilation of the fact his band is covering a Rihanna.

... And then there was hope for the world.

O and my best bet would be to maybe work off of the chorus and maybe work your way up higher and higher up the neck as a closer solo. I don't know though. Good luck!!

It's a good song, what's the big deal?
Ok I've recorded something, check my mp3's on my profile.

Ask if you get into any trouble-spots It's mostly the A#m pentatonic in different places with a few arpeggios but nothing too difficult I hope
love the solo
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
Quote by swansareroadkil
love the solo

Thanks man It's nothing special really, it's just an improvised third take or something and the guitar was a little too loud in the mix but I'm glad you like it
Wow...never thought it'd work so well with shredding. Is this with the RG or PRS? Kudos.
I like it man, it sounds pretty sweet. Would I be testing your generosity to ask for a tab? I'm not good at tabbing music, and I'm having no luck. Thanks guy.

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Wow...never thought it'd work so well with shredding. Is this with the RG or PRS? Kudos.

Thanks man, it's the PRS straight through the POD.

@:teenage_cobain: Sorry for the late reply, my computer's being an ass, I actually wrote this post twice already but couldn't post it so I had to restart the computer and stuff.

Anyway, I'm horrible with tabs so I'll just try to explain it to you. It all starts with a bend on the 7th fret of the B string, moving one fret down and then two more frets down. Then it goes up to a C#major triad staring on the 14th fret on the B string, it looks like this:

E--------------13--16--
B--14-----14-----------
G------13---------------

That's followed by some random fooling around in this position:

E--13--14------16--
B--13--14------16--
G--13------15-------
D--13------15-------
A--13------15--16--
E--13------15--16--

Then there's an A#m arpeggio lick, which looks like this:

E----------------------13--16--------------13--20--
B-------------------14---------14------14-------
G---------------15------------------15-----
D-----------15---------------------
A--13--16--------------------
E------------------------

That's followed by some random shredding in the "regular" minor scale box, between the 18th and 21st frets. Then I go back to the position I tabbed out above ^, for more shredding around. Just make yourself comfortable with the fingering (if you aren't already) and it'll be a breeze coming up with some nice fast stuff there.

Then there's the break, where I switch to the neck pickup and roll off a good amount on the volume knob for some jazzy tone. It's just 2-3 notes from the A#m pentatonic. Then, when the beat kicks in again, I do some final shredding in the same position as earlier.

Hope this helps, good luck man!
Thanks dude!