i wasn't sure whether this should be in guitar custom thread or what, but since it is essentially just a what gear thread, i thought electric guitar would do.

so, i want a strat to mod heavily (pickups, tuners, neck to be scalloped, new jumbo frets, new bridge, obviously different strings, and a device ive made that should help it keep in tune longer - if squier then new electrics - tone/ volume), but im not sure which way to go with it. do i get a squier and mod it to the hilt because its cheap to begin with, or do i get an american believing it to be a quality piece of kit to start with.

will the neck last any longer on one than the other? will the body resonate better, or be made from better quality wood (heavier/ denser/ different place of origin)
get an ok priced fender. not a squier, but also not an american made.
The Conservative youth of America!
I second the MIM. For 400$ its the most amazing value out there. Plus, you can keep all the parts and sell them brand new for profit. Nay on the Fat Strat though. Modding the SSS would be MUCH more fun.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
well ive been looking, and the koa strats and the fender lite ash strats both look gorgeous with the birdseye maple necks. anyone second this idea?

and im going to go sss.

btw, i know its quite snobby, but does it say anywhere on the headstock whether its a mim or mia.
^I don't think so. Although just sand it if it does.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by CobenBlack
do you think the lite ash one then? it still has the birdseye neck, which is nice. and rosewood is a git to scallop anyway.

Rosewood is very scallop-able.

Anyway, the Light Ash strat is a very good choice, it's not too expensive, but still worth modifications.

Quote by CobenBlack

btw, i know its quite snobby, but does it say anywhere on the headstock whether its a mim or mia.

On the Light Ash, on the back of the headstock it says, in small print, made in Korea, but that's all.

If it really bothers you, you could sand it off.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
i know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. ive always bought the best that i could afford, not to show off, that doesn't interest me, but i like knowing i have quality items, and if it says mik on it, it'll bug me. even though it shouldn't. thanks for the info tho.
Quote by CobenBlack
i know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. ive always bought the best that i could afford, not to show off, that doesn't interest me, but i like knowing i have quality items, and if it says mik on it, it'll bug me. even though it shouldn't. thanks for the info tho.

They're amazing guitars and you could always sand it off if it bothers you, but unless you buy a Highway one (the cheapest Fender that says MIA), it's going to bother you with any Fender.

Also, you have a KE3 and an RR3, both of which are Asian as well, so I think you'll be able to live with this.
thinking about it, i want jumbo frets, and if i spend a bit more, then i can get the highway one which has jumbo's on it.

i wonder if i should pay extra and get the highway one with jumbo's since im going to end up paying someone to put them on for me eventually anyway
Quote by CobenBlack
thinking about it, i want jumbo frets, and if i spend a bit more, then i can get the highway one which has jumbo's on it.

i wonder if i should pay extra and get the highway one with jumbo's since im going to end up paying someone to put them on for me eventually anyway

You could.

The Highway one is quite a nice guitar and it's very modable, so maybe that's the right choice.

The frets are medium jumbo by the way, not jumbo.

Anyway, this could be an option:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-one-stratocaste/8641

Maple fretboard, SSS and cheaper than an MIA.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by timi_hendrix
The Lite ash is supposed to be very good. Danno13 has one, talk to him about his.

I have one too, and yes, it is very good.

As far as sound samples go, some of the technique clips in my profile were recorded with my Light Ash strat.

I still don't fully get why you don't want it.
What about the highways??? aren't those americans with mexican electronics?
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Quote by cortez0
What about the highways??? aren't those americans with mexican electronics?

There more Mexicans with American electronics.

There is just enough work done across the border for them to qualify as MIA.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
There more Mexicans with American electronics.

There is just enough work done across the border for them to qualify as MIA.

He's absolutely right, again well done to you sir
there basically mexican ish strats made in the us.

however, though it says ok gak.co.uk that they are medium, they have been updated, and now feature jumbo's - it should say it on the fender site.

and to bonsaiischaap the reason i want it is to heavily modify the guitar to a spec where its what i want, so im trying to work out the balance of neck/ body wood and paint quality (since thats the only thing thats going to be left untouched) vs price for doing the job.

and btw, you have all been helpful above and beyond what i expected, so thanks for this
Quote by bikersbasin
He's absolutely right, again well done to you sir

Why thank you