Hey guys, I just got a job and im getting bank now so Im buying music stuff. I learned how to play bass about a 2 years ago and played out of a small guitar amp for a long time. Never really needed much more power.
Now I'm going to buy a bigger amp and possibly start doing some jamming with people.
I need something to be heard over drums and a 100 watt tube amp with screaming distortion. I play metal/progressive metal/death metal. Stuff like edguy/symphony x/arsis/nile. Since I have no experience with bass amps, can you guys tell me what are my options and how many watts I should be looking at?
being heard over drums def. changes with the type of drums/drummer, the way the room is set up, and such, but generally for SS guitar amps bassists usually have 4 times the power of a guitar amp, but seeing as this is 100 watts tube, I'm sure you're going to need much more than a 400 watt bass amp to be heard without having to crank the volume

However, if you're just jamming, why would the guitarist need 100 watts tube? I'm guessing it won't be cranked all the way, so 400 watts might be more than enough, it really depends on the exact situation
Quote by Zar938
being heard over drums def. changes with the type of drums/drummer, the way the room is set up, and such, but generally for SS guitar amps bassists usually have 4 times the power of a guitar amp, but seeing as this is 100 watts tube, I'm sure you're going to need much more than a 400 watt bass amp to be heard without having to crank the volume

However, if you're just jamming, why would the guitarist need 100 watts tube? I'm guessing it won't be cranked all the way, so 400 watts might be more than enough, it really depends on the exact situation

No he won't be cranking it and with venues he probs dials in like 6/7 at the most. What type of amps are good brands for the genres above.
Ashdown Mag 500. And I'm guessing that's metalish song your doing so maybe a 2x10, 1x15 cab. Or get the combo that has a 4x10 built into it then add a 1x15 cab. That would be plenty for drums. But are you sure it's 100wat tube Because my guitarest has a 5watt tube and it overpowers my 75w amp. Easily. If it is tube go with the above, if it's solid state, look at the 300w head.
try the mesa boogie bass 400+

a 400 w tube amp will be plenty. if you use a Solid state amp, you'll need 1000W or so, or 2 speaker cabs