I have been playing guitar for about 4 years, pretty heavily. I try to learn all the techniques there are for me to learn, (sweeping, which i'm okay at. tremolo picking, finger picking, finger tapping, finger nubbing, fusion picking) i've learned all the scales and modes i can think of (all the majors, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian, locrian, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minors), i know all the chords there should be to know (majors, minors, diminished, augmented, major 7ths, minor 7ths, 6ths, 9ths) And I have a pretty big arsenal of songs. I'm also decent at improvising in all those scales i know. I've composed a few songs, just look at my music myspace in my signature. I have those plus about 20 more i still need to record. I just don't know where to go from here to get better. Somebody, anybody please tell me what to do or work on.

Thanks a bunch!
JP97
4/4 is just so boring. <_<
Play with another guitarist around your level. That was the biggest part in becoming a real guitarist I felt. You learn a LOT without knowing it. Play with harmony, think of weird things one guitar could do and something even weirder for the other to do. Bounce off of each other.
Quote by albino strat!
Start getting into jazz

+1. And listen to Mattias IA Eklundh (guitarist for Freak Kitchen, solo stuff), you'll be amazed at what someone can do with a guitar that you probably never thought of before.
better?
Quote by A Rolling Stone
My first date was nowhere near as bad as your grammar
i don't even know how to get into jazz, i really really want to though.

i've done blues, rock and metal, and even some experimental. All really good suggestions though, keep em comin ^_^

EDIT:

I would use the forum below me, but it just talks about scales and improvisation, both of which i know really well.

And Mattias IA Eklundh is really really good, he thinks of licks other people wouldn't classify as guitar based. really really awesome. I love avant-garde and experimental stuff probably the most or second most of any genre.
Last edited by JimmyPage97 at Nov 11, 2007,
Get into technical death metal and you'll realize how much you suck. Lol.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Nov 11, 2007,
Thanks .... I guess?

Could you name some bands so I could tune my guitar to drop Bb and learn it? I really want to get better, i don't care how.
Quote by JimmyPage97
Thanks .... I guess?

Could you name some bands so I could tune my guitar to drop Bb and learn it? I really want to get better, i don't care how.

Beneath The Massacre, Spawn Of Possession, Necrophagist, Atheist, Cryptopsy, Quo Vadis and so on. Look up some Necrophagist solos, they're pretty nice.
Quote by JimmyPage97
i don't even know how to get into jazz, i really really want to though.

i've done blues, rock and metal, and even some experimental. All really good suggestions though, keep em comin ^_^

EDIT:

I would use the forum below me, but it just talks about scales and improvisation, both of which i know really well.

And Mattias IA Eklundh is really really good, he thinks of licks other people wouldn't classify as guitar based. really really awesome. I love avant-garde and experimental stuff probably the most or second most of any genre.

Check out Wes Montgomery. He's an incredible jazz guitarist.
Thanks, but is there any like.. jazz tutorials you'd recommend? I can't find any decent ones here on ultimate-guitar.

EDIT:

We montgomery is REALLY really good, and looks a lot like wynton marsalis XD
There are a lot of techniques in space rock,maybe it's time to go for satch techniques.Also you can check out the "Randomization in ma profile.
yeah satch is who got me into modes. XD I want to learn more of his stuff, any suggestions of stuff i should read or tutorials?
Dude emad... that randomization was really really good. Your tone was amazing on your electric in it. Was that a homemade recording? if so you have to tell me your equipment, my recording sound like sh*t, i use adobe audition and juts a regular logitech computer mic.
Your solo on Mushroom forest sounds so much like Jordan by Buckethead.... like literally, I had a guitar hero II flashback.

Your blues improv on the second song seems kinda predictable. Go to bluesblast.com or whatever it is and practice hours of improv blues, try to speak with your guitar, don't think in notes or scales, those should be given, try storing up an arsenal of original blues licks.

Quasar pipe seemed pretty cool, but the first half wasn't rhythmically interesting for some reason, nice voice leading and progression. The second half reminded of this song by Yes.

Ultimatum was cool. I like your use of interesting tones and ideas, really kinda unique to the music. Seems you know how to coordinate your songs well.

Ideas for improving, uh, lets see. Try enhancing your composing skills by trying some longer songs with different feels and parts to it. The purpose of music is to stimulate the listener, yes? Your use of all these diminished scales and uncommon keys are really unique, try utilizing this, as it can tend to make a non-musician uncomfortable hearing something like this for some reason, so maybe you can use this fact to create resolve into something more standard sounding, but only for a few seconds. Basically, try contrasting within songs. your skills and knowledge seems fine for now, but try making your music more, well, musical and expressive. You got a lot of potential with that style you got goin on, so try working up your skills as not a guitarist, but as a musician and create bigger things with your music. I realized all those songs were relatively short, and you have 20 or so more, so it seems like you have a hard time developing an idea further. It seems like your songs have an A section and then a B section, and is kinda predictable. I have this same problem right now, I can make really cool music but it ends up being really short and doesn't really develop, but stays the same. Your music is really good for what it is, not my style, but nonetheless very well written and good. As for even more of an opinionated suggestion, try using advanced music theory, such as writing fugues, using ostinatos, counterpoint and contrary motion to really make your music sophisticated instead of just the use of your out of the ordinary keys.
coffeeguy, you've given me the most useful information i could ask for, thanks really. You really gave me things to work on. The solo in mushroom forest is a little buckethead-y, it's because i used finger nubbing, the 6-finger tapping he uses. I do love working with ostinatos and fugue, but i wanted to get more out of counterpoint and polyrhythms/polykey stuff, any more useful information you have?
hi jimmypage ,
my advice is ask yourself "what is an advanced guitar player ? "
you have talked a lot about technical skills , but maybe now is the time to tell your story through your guitar to express what is deep inside you , using the skills you have developed , but the realising technique can only bring you so far then you have to let go .
also performing live is really important , put yourself in situation where you have an audience and then learn how to sync with them to communicate your message/feelings clearly through your music , i hope this advice helps and i wish you success in your musical aspirations .
thanks ^_^ i just really want to know how to improvise better then i think i will be good for technicality for awhile.

When i'm improvising i can't get away from the pentatonic scale, somebody please help me!
The solution to that is simple. Use different scales. Instead of just using the pentatonic scales, use the full major or minor scale.
i try but i always revert to pentatonic, and it pisses me off! i hate the pentatonic scale and i'll do anything to get away from it. Any excersize you recommend that aren't just scales?
Try implementing arpeggios in your soloing. Here's what I do. Take a progression (A-E-F#m-D is the first one I did), and write out the first position arpeggio for each chord. (Major arp. is r-3-5, minor is r-b3-5). Record yourself playing that progression, and solo over each chord using only arpeggios (i.e. only play the A major arpeggio over A, E major arpeggio over E, etc). Work on that for a while, and once you've gotten good with it add on the next position. After I've spent a while (20 minutes or so) improvising with just arpeggios, I'll solo with the entire scale but implement the arpeggios that I've practiced in it.

Doing that really helps your solos sound better. I also suggest searching yahoo video or something like that for Marty Friedman's "melodic control" video. It's long, but totally worth it.
Quote by JimmyPage97
coffeeguy, you've given me the most useful information i could ask for, thanks really. You really gave me things to work on. The solo in mushroom forest is a little buckethead-y, it's because i used finger nubbing, the 6-finger tapping he uses. I do love working with ostinatos and fugue, but i wanted to get more out of counterpoint and polyrhythms/polykey stuff, any more useful information you have?

Yeah. Another thing any "advanced" guitarist should know how to do is sightread Jazz chords, and not to mention interval training. Check the links in my sig. These won't necessarily change your songwriting skills or anything (or maybe it will?), but you can definately add them to your bag of skills. Or you can try joining your high school jazz band if possible, great experience.
Quote by JimmyPage97
i try but i always revert to pentatonic, and it pisses me off! i hate the pentatonic scale and i'll do anything to get away from it. Any excersize you recommend that aren't just scales?

I had the same problem many time ago.I did fix that with trying to play Ritchie Blackmore's stuff.He usually use major and minor scales together.Have look at the song named Difficult To Cure by Rainbow.It's played like 9th symphony of Ludwig Van Beethoven.
Quote by JimmyPage97

Well, that's at least part of your problem. Dismissing things you think you have
"gone beyond". I could spend a lifetime on the major scale alone, but since there's
other things to do I can only allot more time to it. If you don't constantly revisit the things you think you already know, even what you might consider the most basic
beginner stuff, you won't get very far. You won't have any depth.

As far as Jazz goes, II-V-I progression. Jazz is built on that progression and ever
Jazz book goes over and over it. If you can't play interesting stuff on that, you
won't be able to play jazz. You can copy solos and stuff, but you won't internalize
it all that much.

Quote by Spamwise

Doing that really helps your solos sound better. I also suggest searching yahoo video or something like that for Marty Friedman's "melodic control" video. It's long, but totally worth it.

Actually, that video, while a good intro, is a faily dumbed down coverage of
Harmonic Specificity in improvisation. A good jazz theory book will generally cover
that topic in a lot more detail (Bert Ligand has a whole book devoted to it and its
quite good "Connecting Chords in Linear Harmony" or something like that. The title
is a bit misleading as its totally about improvisation).
Last edited by edg at Nov 12, 2007,
What really helps me is to learn your favorite lick, chord or bunch of notes etc, and learn to play them on a different groups of strings or anywhere else on the neck. The great thing about the guitar is that you can play the same pitch in many different areas of the neck e.g. A 24 fret guitar has the note E in 14 different places (some in different octaves) Learning like this you soon start to have more freedom (all 24 frets on all strings become your playground)
Check out the sound page to see what I mean about freedom!!!
Thanks for all the advice! I guess i'll train myself in some 7th or 6th or 9th II-V-I progressions, and mess around with some scales.

Any advice for what scales i should use to mess around in m7th 6th or m9th jazz chords?
wow man, you've got some eccentric stuff in your tracks. i liked quasar pipe and open heart surgery. maybe go work on your blues and improv as edg suggested, it seems like you need to breathe a little more life into it, add more expressiveness and drama. get some charlie parker and canonball adderly for jazz.