Hey for Christmas I have a choice between getting an Epiphone Les Paul or an Epiphone SG. Which do you think sounds better? I have a friend who had the les paul but then traded it in for an SG so does that mean it sounds better? And no, I can't ask him because he's at some camp. Thanks.
if you're talking the sg/les paul specials, get the sg. I love mine, it's great for a starter. To me it sounds better than alot of the $300 epi les pauls.
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
What sort of music do you play?

I would recommend trying each of them out if possible, then you will be able to tell which one YOU think is better, instead of someone else's opinion on here.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Personially dude, I would go with the Les Paul. My friend yesterday went browsing for a guitar 'cause he wants to buy one, and I found him a great Epiphone Les Paul Custom. They sound great and the neck feels fluid. The SG to me, don't seem up to par. The necks aren't as great as the Les Pauls and I feel that the pickups are waaaay to close to the strings on an SG.
Try them in guitar shops.
Depending on what music you play. SGs are normally more towards Metal however Zakk Wylde shreds it up on Les Paul. Which I have. And it sounds awesome.
that really depends on what you want to play
the chart on it is like this
soft========================hard
lp===========================sg

so figure out where what you play stands
also try them because there are a lot of weight and feel differences
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
that really depends on what you want to play
the chart on it is like this
soft========================hard
lp===========================sg

so figure out where what you play stands
also try them because there are a lot of weight and feel differences

Eh...that's completely untrue. I get way heavier tones out of my Gibson Les Paul Custom with 490R and 498T pickups than with my LTD with passive EMG's. I get heavier tones out of this than my friend's active EMG's. The heaviness doesn't have to do with the guitar in itself, but with the pickups. Les Pauls are usually fitted with more bluesy pickups though.
Quote by Scumbag1792
Personially dude, I would go with the Les Paul. My friend yesterday went browsing for a guitar 'cause he wants to buy one, and I found him a great Epiphone Les Paul Custom. They sound great and the neck feels fluid. The SG to me, don't seem up to par. The necks aren't as great as the Les Pauls and I feel that the pickups are waaaay to close to the strings on an SG.

You can easily adjust the height of the pickups
it all depends on style, as previously stated
i own both and i love 'em to death but both have short comings
first off on both the pickup's aren't phenomenal, they're good, but a PU change down the road would be good
with the SG stock PU's there is no sustain what so ever, which is where the change would come in, also the neck dives, but this can be solved with a solid leather strap
with LP the pickup's just arent that good either, i'm changing the stocks on mine soon
also with the LP you may have trouble accessing lower frets, depending on how low you play and the size of your hands, but it's something you can work around
so it all depends on style of music and preference, try them both out if you can
epi makes an SG in alpine white with emgs its around 500 bucks... very nice guitar. I have owned three epiphones in my past, a les paul standard, a les paul custom, and a gothic explorer. now idunno if you have enough cash for the les paul custom but that is what i would reccommend becuase you can change the pickups later down the road and you have yourself a guitar that is pretty much a gibson without the actual logo, i owned the standard for less than a week, god that thing just didnt play well at all
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by oscarstegland
Eh...that's completely untrue. I get way heavier tones out of my Gibson Les Paul Custom with 490R and 498T pickups than with my LTD with passive EMG's. I get heavier tones out of this than my friend's active EMG's. The heaviness doesn't have to do with the guitar in itself, but with the pickups. Les Pauls are usually fitted with more bluesy pickups though.

maybe, but 1. thats a gibson
and 2. it has a lot to do wiht your amp, and the people buying epiphones usually dont have the best amps

as much as i love the tone of my les paul, ive always gotten heavyier tones out of sgs
Quote by metul kult

Well I got a strat and I love the tone it has. Does the Les Paul have a really good tone because that's what I care about the most.
yes it does,
but so does the sg
so you have to pick for the tone that fits your playing
Quote by metul kult

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
maybe, but 1. thats a gibson
and 2. it has a lot to do wiht your amp, and the people buying epiphones usually dont have the best amps

as much as i love the tone of my les paul, ive always gotten heavyier tones out of sgs

The brand of the guitar doesn't matter. If you put the same pickups in an epiphone LP it would get almost as heavy (almost because the Gibsons are much denser providing more sustain and so on). Of course to get heavy sounds, you need an amp that can produce it, thats granted. I'm just saying if you play one Epi SG and one Epi LP with the same pickups through the same amp the SG wont sound heavier.