I basically just got bored one day and recorded this real quick (three passes, one rhythm, one for lead riff, and one solo guitar). The lead riff and chords I had planned (although then I just started playing random chords once it gets going) and the solo bit is just messing around so obviously it sounds like crap for the most part. Long story short I just wanted to know what you guys think of the idea as a whole for the start of the song, any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Here's the link to my old myspace page I unearthed so I could post it:
http://www.myspace.com/tolbelannounced

EDIT: It's High E...sorry about that.
Last edited by mattvl at Nov 11, 2007,
High E, the last one. And referring to the name, it's just because the lead riff is on the high E string...only way I can remember which recording is what.
Lower the ryth guitar volume a bit. Raise the lead. Lots of mistakes but easily fixed with rerecording. It's good man, you have some skill. Just need some messing with the EQ and you'd have a great song right there. Maybe tone down the delay a little bit. It makes it hard to hear what you're doing in some parts of the soloing.
Yeah, the third guitar had alot of delay on it, I know. It was all improv so I just sorta kicked the effects dial on my amp as I was playing and that's what came out. I didn't bother editing anything because it was just a thrown together recording (mostly to try out mic'ing my amp for the first time...and seeing if I could improv at all. Speaking of which, don't pay attention to the tapping, I started playing another song partway through, just to see if by some strange chance it might sound not like crap). I think the SM57 worked pretty well anyway, it's the first time I used it to mic the amp.
Man, I really like 1. Very melodic, you should track some mellow leads over it, doesnt have to be fancy or fast, but I think it would at to the overall effect.

As for High E. I think you could get away with some of the delay effects if you messed around with the EQ on the tracks.

Your music gets in the soul man, good job.
hey that is actually a pretty good idea for a song. a bit more practice with playing it and recording and that will sound great. the "high E" part has potential, though it needs to be tightened up a little, just practise with strict alternate picking and maybe a bit of hand muting.
also on the rythym i would put in a bit more palm muting to give it a more percussive edge
Quote by demiphoenix
holy ****, this is incredible

i wish i could sound half that good when recording

You mean the quality of recording or the playing? If you mean the sound, I'll be honest, I was surprised my dinky little setup worked that well too. But I appreciate the compliment.
Quote by Stanovavich
Man, I really like 1. Very melodic, you should track some mellow leads over it, doesnt have to be fancy or fast, but I think it would at to the overall effect.

As for High E. I think you could get away with some of the delay effects if you messed around with the EQ on the tracks.

Your music gets in the soul man, good job.

Wow, that's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my music...thanks man, I sincerely appreciate it. I was actual messing around with it on acoustic when I wrote it a few years back and although at the time I wasn't very good at improvising on the soloing (and although I'm better now I still have more or less no idea what I'm doing) but I did come up with a little melody that seemed to work pretty well over top, kind of a vocal melody type thing but on guitar. I didn't have anything to record multiple tracks with at the time but I'll definitely think about recording that again and seeing if I can add a melodic second guitar in there.
Quote by diablo_man
hey that is actually a pretty good idea for a song. a bit more practice with playing it and recording and that will sound great. the "high E" part has potential, though it needs to be tightened up a little, just practise with strict alternate picking and maybe a bit of hand muting.
also on the rythym i would put in a bit more palm muting to give it a more percussive edge

Funny you mention percussion, I actually tried to add in a caja after listening to it a couple of times (sadly I have no idea how to mic one properly so it sounded very 'acoustic' and didn't really fit in with the song because of it). In terms of more palm muting do you mean continue the palm muting throughout the song or emphasizing it more when it's played (the emphasis being in either the playing or the recording style).

And in terms of the lead riff, it's actually on two strings (B and E). The part I find difficult, in terms of keeping in rhythm, is that I have to drone the 5th fret on the B between every note on the E and the stretch from the 2nd to the 7th fret (it's really not that bad of the stretch in comparison to the other songs I've been playing recently but it's gotta stay at a good pace and I tend to bend the B slightly so as not to accidentally mute the high E string with my fretting hand. But I'll work on my technique there and try and polish it up.
too much distortion. it really got muddy. try making your lead tone smoother. leads were cool. try opening up your stereo field a bit, cause it all sounds center panned. so in summery, cool ideas, but clean up the guitar tone and recording, because the individual guitar parts all melt together in an undesirable manner.
Too cool for a signature.
Yeah, I know, I didn't edit it or anything and I really don't have much experience recording so as far as production quality it was never going to be all that great. If you listen closely you can hear the mic picking up the acoustics of me strumming on the electric right beside where the mic is picking up the amp.
Wow mate, that is some nice composing right there.

I absolutely love 1 and your high e idea, great stuff. But yeah, like said above, try and clean up your tone a bit, and it'll sound out of this world.

Love your stuff. Rock on.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Thanks alot man, I appreciate the comments. I actually rerecorded 1 today (I actually called it Open D all the time, again, just so I knew what it was) and I'm thinking about trying to add something in the background although I'm not sure whether it would take away from it or not (a violin might be pretty cool...I dunno). Now that I actually have recording equipment and I don't completely suck at guitar it sounds alot better but I'm still debating what to do with it right now. I have some acoustic instrumentals sorta like that but I can't record them very well with my microphone right now (either I suck or I need a condenser). I'll post them when I get that all straightened out.

I actually wrote a new song today after posting this one, I replied to another guys first recordings and I had said how the first song I wrote was terrible in comparison...then I tried to remember what it was. Long story short I used the same chord progression but used alot of open strings outside of them, added a few chords and whaddya know, possibly my favourite song I've written at this point (but I always feel like that right when I write something). It's also acoustic so...yeah...I need to learn how to record.
Last edited by mattvl at Nov 12, 2007,
Hahhaha and I agree. I tried the percussion but I only have a homemade caja and I don't know how to mic it properly (sounds awesome live anyway...). I don't have a bass either but if I can get my hands on either for even a half hour you can bet that I'll be getting that recorded pretty quick.
Quote by chrisatgrace
too much distortion. it really got muddy. try making your lead tone smoother. leads were cool. try opening up your stereo field a bit, cause it all sounds center panned. so in summery, cool ideas, but clean up the guitar tone and recording, because the individual guitar parts all melt together in an undesirable manner.

same. it'll be good in the end for sure though.
Great song man..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

not bad ..find yourself a decent bassline and maybe a basic drum set ..nothing to complicated..oh and chrisatgrace is right ..to much distortion ..this idea has potnetial if you ask me
Thanks for the input. I've actually been looking into a simple kit, maybe for sometime this summer. As it stands I just bought a set of sticks to play along with on the desk when I'm bored.
It's nice. I like very hard rock-ish sounding to me. You've got some cool solo ideas going on. I'd say clean up to where you're happy with it and post the revisted version. I can't wait! You should try to pan the guitars differently because it did 'melt' if that makes any sense. Song wise though- no complaints here. Keep up the good work.