Page 1 of 2
Alright. So, I unfortunately am not hardcore enough to have done this but it is one of my dreams, even though it would totally ruin a set, i would feel so wicked

have any of you brilliant bassists ever rocked out so hard that you broke a string? I imagine it's pretty hard to do on a bass, but you hear about it all the time on guitar.
Quote by A Rolling Stone
My first date was nowhere near as bad as your grammar
Quote by watchingmefall
Yup, but only like 5 times ever. Two E strings, two Gs and one A IIRC.

really? an E string...one would think that would be the hardest to break...i envy you in your hardcoreness
Quote by A Rolling Stone
I've broke an E, a D, and a G (D and G in the same time).
Its not really hardcore, its not even cool, its just annoying.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
I've broke an E, a D, and a G (D and G in the same time).
Its not really hardcore, its not even cool, its just annoying.

D and G at same time? huh. someday i will rock as hard as you
Quote by A Rolling Stone
^ I don't rock, I jazz
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
^ I don't rock, I jazz

oh. very cool!

im the bassist in the schools jazz band and during unit lunch ill jazz out with some friends on the drums, sax, and piano. have to be in the mood for jazz, though
Quote by A Rolling Stone
I broke my G once..

but it was a really old set of strings on a squire I bought off of a kid for $50
AND
to make it more pathetic
it was only from tuning

some day I'll get there though
Twice, both G strings. It'snot cool, or hardcore, it just pisses you off as you have to replace a whole really, and oce it gave me a damn big cut down the side of my face when the string flicked up.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Twice, both G strings. It'snot cool, or hardcore, it just pisses you off as you have to replace a whole really, and oce it gave me a damn big cut down the side of my face when the string flicked up.

see...the cut would make me feel hardcore...friends be like...what happened to your face..and id be like...i f-ed it up at the gig last night lol
Quote by A Rolling Stone
I've never broken one, just been playing too hard and had it sort of unwind at the end, but leaving the inside wire intact.

I used to do my G's and to a lesser extent D's all the time, was hella annoying

I always **** myself about brekaing my E though, one of my mates bro's did that and had to go to hospital cos he had a massive gash in his side
I cut my girlfriends G string by mistake.

Cant Imagine myself snapping a string unless its while adjusting the action without letting the strings loose.

edit: Or slapping and popping really hard.
I've broken my E string about 5 times on my 4-string. I finally got sick f it and filed downt he saddle. I've broken an A twice, a D a couple of times, and the G once. I've also broken the low B on my five-string.
ive broke my D string twice, and my E once, both from down-picking too hard with a pick :/
Quote by Scourge441
I've broken my E string about 5 times on my 4-string. I finally got sick f it and filed downt he saddle. I've broken an A twice, a D a couple of times, and the G once. I've also broken the low B on my five-string.

glad you mentioned this fact, if your breaking strings often, theres probably a burr
(sharp edge) on your saddle, or the tuning peg.
i have broken a bass string twice, in 30 yrs. once the E, failed at the bridge. the winding just gave up, but the wire was still intact. and once a G, i snapped it while tuning....turning the wrong key!! Doh!!(plucking the D, while turning the G.)
I broke a low B-string, but that was due to a problem around the tuning post. The only other one I broke was a G-string, and I think that was related to the nut, because it snapped 10 minutes later.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
I snapped my girlfriends G-string while playing. (she forgave me though)
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I've broken a G, an E, and an A in that order. It's an absolute bitch. You don't want to do it. >_>
Today BOTH my guitarists broke their E at practice. Thankfully, my lead brought a spare set, so he was okay.

It was both god awful, but also incredibly...invigorating. I also cut through, but the sheer sound of my bass pumping out was fantastic. I'd rather my rythm/vocalist was just a vocalist now. >_>

That ends my useless but moderately fun story.
I've broken several strings....all through tuning mishaps, though, and it was never a clean beak, the outer windings just seperated, so it was kind of lame. I'm still waiting for a string to whip up and take out my eyes.

The first time I broke a string it was the E, tuning it back up from C...little did I realise I had tuned it to almost an octave above normal. (It was my first time using a chromatic tuner)
I broke an E string when sound checking two hours before the show. It was kind of fun cos another bassist there broke his D string just before me.
I have broken a string a least one a month. Not lately though. One time I was playing this some and the D string snapped even though the song was just played on the E and A
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by bxcarracer
Yea same Here a G and an A. Same day too.

Thats a bad day
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you're breaking strings often, you or your bass is doing something wrong, simple as.

Yea I agree.
There is nothing hardcore about breaking a string. It has happened to me only once, and as I didn't expect it I had no back up, it was three days before I got anymore strings, aswell as the gaping wound in my right hand which stopped me play for another week and a bit. It's not hardcore at all, it is really, really annoying.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by KKING911
I snapped my girlfriends G-string while playing. (she forgave me though)

*facepalm* :P

I broke a G from hardcore tuning.
Quote by Waters?
I cut my girlfriends G string by mistake.

I was waiting for that

I popped too hard and broke the D string once, but that's really it.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
two low E's, both playin Classical Thump

two G's, both playin Stone Cold Bush

Two A's, both playin Aeroplane
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
I've never broken a string. *knocks on wooden desk* but I imagine that it would be very annoying, because when I get into it I play with all 5 of them.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Page 1 of 2