I haven't really done any research or anything
but what would a bassline for dance music be like?

(not like formal dancing or hip-hop, but poppy dancing I guess)
Maybe the inclusion of octaves in your playing? Well I think for older dance stuff anyway, but I'm not too sure.
signature
bad touch by bloodhound gang. learn it on bass. it was the first thing i learned.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
you just have to think of what songs you like to dance to, and look 'em up. usually it's 1-4-5's with a 4/4 beat. name a genre(disco, pop, country, oldies) and we can name some ideas.

Edit: the number 1 question i get at clubs is, do you guys play any Skynard?
I could relate Dance to Jamiroquai in a way, so their basslines style would fit dance I guess.
Quote by Waters?
I could relate Dance to Jamiroquai in a way, so their basslines style would fit dance I guess.

yh but they are quiet funky for dance, rli depends what sort of dance you mean

octaves do for some types

but like happy hardcore is probs just synthesised
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

Edit: the number 1 question i get at clubs is, do you guys play any Skynard?

*Stabs in eye socket than brands his chest to say Skynyrd* I would say you should play waltz's just because they're awesome, and just play a strong downbeat. But I'm sure you're not going to do that are you?
Well, I remember watching a Fall Out Boy (the band, not to be confused with Fallout Boy, the Simpsons character) live video, and Pete Wentz asked "Which one of you mother****ers came here to dance?" Try that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Pete Wentz. (i'm not gonna say anything else lest I get banned for excessive profanity)
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Get thee to thy music player and play "Dance to the Music" by Sly and the Family Stone Repeat. Pay attention to the line "Now I'm gonna add some bottom, so the dancers just won't hide". Repeat again.

'nuff said.