Has anyone heard of or tried one of these?

I was walking around the local store and saw one from the 80's for about $600 used. Gonna go try it out today.

How is it compared to the normal twin amp (they have a real 65' Twin but it's $1200)?

Also how does it compare to the new reissues? I've never really heard much about the Twin II but it has mixed reviews and would it be too loud?

I know David Gilmour has used these before in the studio, if not the Twin however I liked the AC30 or Palomino V32.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
They pwn all. If you're looking for the srv tone he uses one but mods it to a blackface i think.
i think the clean channel is normal-fender-style-great
only reason they flopped, and thus are that cheap today, is that the gain channel is quite un-fendery and couldnt cope with the types of gain amps were "supposed" to cope with in the 80s (metal, evh stuff)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Any Fender amp from the 80's with the designation "II" will have been designed by Paul Rivera. I had a Rivera designed Fender Concert, and it was really a great amp. More versatile than your average Fender, with much ballsier gain. I keep my eyes open for the Super Champ and Deluxe Reverb II from the same era, but they're extremely tough to find.

I think it's a cool buy.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well guys I just tried and i'm left speechless......

Amazing amp!!!

Maybe it's cause I just tried it and all, but I spent a good half hour or so just messing with it and playing. The cleans were beautiful, not so trebely like the other Fenders i've tried, it had a bassier warmer sound to it which was pretty nice.
And surprisingly I was able to get some drive out of the second channel, not the greatest (of course it is Fender i'm not expecting tons of drive..) however it was quite nice, like Slats said the amp was quite versatile. Went from the Floyd like cleans to a classic rock crunch while still maintaining a good Fender vibe.

Problem is the amp is from the early 80's and it certainly looks to be almost 25 years old. I'm not sure if I can rely on it, the guy says they checked it for malfunctions and took care of the problems and I liked the sound. However my parents don't want me buying it...

Any ideas how I can convince them? Or maybe they are right and getting an old amp like this is a bad idea. I need something I can use for a long time and rely on...
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Old Fender amps are built like tanks. hell, aside from a tube blowing or something, vintage Fender's are more reliable than half of todays production amps.

i doubt you'll have a (serious) problem with it, unless it was treated like **** in its day.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Thanks for mentioning that.

I asked the guy at the store he said they made sure it was in working standards by taking care of any malfunctions and that I shouldn't need to make any immediate changes or find any problems with the amp.

It's got some rusted input jacks and one or two of the knobs are chipped as well as a worn face and tolex.

Now I need to convince my parents and myself to get it. I do like the sound a lot and for the price it's a great amp, they said I can ask my guitar teacher and if he said it was good my parents would be convinced though i'll have to wait a few days for that.

The cosmetics can be fixed, if your not comfortable with switching out the input jacks or whatever you can have a tech do it for cheap. But really, the Rivera and earlier Fender's aer very nice, i dont think i've read one review one one breaking down from age, other than a blown speaker or tube.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Any ideas how I can convince them? Or maybe they are right and getting an old amp like this is a bad idea. I need something I can use for a long time and rely on...

I'd rather have the old amp. The great thing about that amp is how easy it will be to repair if something goes wrong. Unlike a brand new Fender Twin, that one's all hand-wired. For that kind of construction today, you'd be paying up around $1500-1800 or more for the same amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks i'm quite convinced now, not to mention the sound it produced.

I'll try to go back this week and give one more look over, I honestly hope it stays just a few more days this might be the amp i've been looking for.
I'm thinking about how the wattage/volume will work out, cause it's only gonna be used for small to medium gigs and my bedroom.

Anyone else manage to use Twins indoors? I've heard musicians record with them so...

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Thanks i'm quite convinced now, not to mention the sound it produced.

I'll try to go back this week and give one more look over, I honestly hope it stays just a few more days this might be the amp i've been looking for.
I'm thinking about how the wattage/volume will work out, cause it's only gonna be used for small to medium gigs and my bedroom.

Anyone else manage to use Twins indoors? I've heard musicians record with them so...

well, there very hard to tame in the bedroom, its possible, but its going to be loud.
Yeah I can understand that, though the rare times i'll get to play live or if I ever go into a full gigging band it would be worth it.

One thing, I noticed whenever I had the reverb put on the amp got noisy and once the reverb was turned up a little more it got even noisier. However when the reverb knob was at zero it was quite, is that normal or something I can expect? Any ways to fix it?

Reverb driver tube hmm....is that hard or expensive to replace?

I'm gonna ask them about that, I read that noisy reverb is normal on that amp, but if it's fixable as you said then that would be good.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Reverb driver tube hmm....is that hard or expensive to replace?

I'm gonna ask them about that, I read that noisy reverb is normal on that amp, but if it's fixable as you said then that would be good.

My Deluxe Reverb runs a 12at7 for its Reverb, i bought a NOS Mullard for 20 bucks, you dont want to cheap out (5-10 tubes) but you dont need to go overboard with the NOS hype that some people seem to believe in.

You could always go all the way and completely replace the reverb tank, but that could end up costly with the labor.
^ Actually how is the Deluxe Reverb is is like the Twin? The lower amount of wattage sounds nice...especially if I could get the same tones.

The retubing isn't a bad idea, I want to go back and get the full details of it's condition, hopefully there won't be much modding or fixing needed. They might even fix the reverb for free or with a big discount to sell it.

Well, essentially, the Deluxe Reverb is a lower wattage Twin. But i prefer the Twin. You might be better off with the DRRI if you want the lower wattage, but the reissue Deluxe Reverb is lacking compared to a handwired twin.
Quote by ECistheBest

Yup that's the exact same model I saw in the store.

To igotabcrich, i'll probably give the DRRI a try and see if it's alright but ATM i'm liking the Twin.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Nov 12, 2007,