My friend wants an electric guitar for christmas. What should his dad get him? He likes rock and metal. His dad will probably by cheap though, so what can he get for 150-250??? I have my opinions, but I 'd like to hear more.
what are your opinions
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
Try and get a cheap Jackson - avoid LFR's at this point, it's just not worth the fuss, especially for a starter. And for an amp, go for something like either a Peavey practice or a roland cube.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Guitarislife125
Terrible.

Get a used MIM Strat on Ebay then a Roland micro cube.

hey, who knows if this kid is even going to play long enough to like guitar...

I recommended the Warlock pack because its cheap, looks cool, and isn't all that bad. Besides, it'll keep his interest in guitar going.
Ok, I second the Warlock starter pack, although tbh you could probably do with just getting the bronze warlock on its' own & getting a better practice amp, and I've heard the BC rich one is about as good as a leper in an orgy. I'd say get him a cheap marshall practice amp - if he's just a newbie, he'll love the fact he has that name on his speaker. and MG15'll do the job just fine, with a BC Rich Warlock.... Bit of change spare for things like amps, teacher books, picks - don;t bother with the DVD's though, the van halen ones is a bastard for me to grasp still... I've got minor tapping down, but then the guy starts something completely random & it's just '...Wow, how the?'
EDIT: (lol just randomly did a dry run of newbie guitar parts online - got a nice set for £249 - GAK is my friend, official) And forgot to put the tuner in, as well! Demmit.
The rig:
Newcastle United
Last edited by Korzack at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by t_godin
and is this "friend" actually you? haha

Most certainly not, smart aleck. I have a Greg Bennet guitar that I simply enjoy the heck out of. And to be honest...I have negative opinions about most things in his dad's price range in the first place so that's why I want your opinion.
Ibanez starter packs aren't bad....I know a guy that's been using his for like 5 years.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Ibanez starter packs aren't bad....I know a guy that's been using his for like 5 years.....

the amp too? go beat him up and destroy his stuff so he can go buy some new gear
Quote by Grimpenguin
the amp too? go beat him up and destroy his stuff so he can go buy some new gear

a dean vendetta and a roland microcube would be a good idea to begin with
I dunno - no point in buying a ridiculously expensive start-axe if we ain't even sure he's gonna enjoy playing. Just stick with whatever's unique & cheap - Like I said before, the warlock would be a good start, as tbh it's a far better guitar for rock n metal than a squier strat etc., is ever gonna be, and also has that extra 'Wow' factor. I'd say a warlock & a cheap marshall MG - a cube would give him extra stuff to play with, but with more options, more confusion as well.
The rig:
Newcastle United
Quote by Korzack
I dunno - no point in buying a ridiculously expensive start-axe if we ain't even sure he's gonna enjoy playing. Just stick with whatever's unique & cheap - Like I said before, the warlock would be a good start, as tbh it's a far better guitar for rock n metal than a squier strat etc., is ever gonna be, and also has that extra 'Wow' factor. I'd say a warlock & a cheap marshall MG - a cube would give him extra stuff to play with, but with more options, more confusion as well.

I think the microcube is a great idea. It has good tone and nice versatility, and will last, seeing as it is portable and can run on batteries. After a few months he will probably want to ditch the MG anyways.

I don't find more options to equal more confusion, either. If i was just starting out, I would want all those little build in effects so I could mess around with different tonal options.

But yeah, basically what i'm saying is the amp should 100% be a microcube. Don't know about the guitar though XD
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
If you want to spend closer to 150 go for a squire, If you want more towards 250 look for something by Ibanez or Epiphone.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Squier standard strat
Roland micro cube

use the rest to set up the strat properly.
I don't even shred