I just finished watching a documentary on how globalization (in the way that it's being done now) and neoliberalism is bad, and how big private companies can take over societies and do whatever they want which is why 80% of the money in the world is owned by 20% of the population....so...what are your opinions on this topic? do you think that today's globalization is good? bad?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Globalization isn't just companies, it's the mizxng of different cultures and religions and such.

For that side of things, I think it's mostly bad, people are too intolerant and it just builds up tension because of the language barriers and such. Assuming they emigrate from their own country.

We're doing this is Geography at the moment a long with how the emancipation of females has helped development in LEDC's, it's pretty interesting IMO.

Apparently women do 60% of the total hours worked, while men do the rest and get 90% of the money.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Globalization isn't just companies, it's the mizxng of different cultures and religions and such.

For that side of things, I think it's mostly bad, people are too intolerant and it just builds up tension because of the language barriers and such. Assuming they emigrate from their own country.

We're doing this is Geography at the moment a long with how the emancipation of females has helped development in LEDC's, it's pretty interesting IMO.

Apparently women do 60% of the total hours worked, while men do the rest and get 90% of the money.

yea, i know it's not just companies but the documentary i saw talks mostly about companies...how countries that had their own companies, because of globalization are being owned by bigger international companies, which at the end are owned by a couple of huge companies...and if this keeps going, the whole world is going to be owned by a couple of huge international companies that are going to be able to do whatever they want in the country...too bad the documentary is only in spanish
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by Cpt.Jackass

also take in the fact that in the world, there are around 8.5 million slave children...and you talk about this to people, specially in the US, and they have no idea that this is going on in the world
-Homer Simpson
Screw it. Damn Indians and Chinese want to take all our jobs away.

THEY TOOK 'AR JIBS!
I saw a program in geography last week on how its good
basicly:
pros: It allows LEDC countries to become industrialised and better off
cons: May mean less manufacturing jobs on MEDCs, TNCs taking advantage of LEDC countries/people.
Quote by StonaLemons
I saw a program in geography last week on how its good
basicly:
pros: It allows LEDC countries to become industrialised and better off
cons: May mean less manufacturing jobs on MEDCs, TNCs taking advantage of LEDC countries/people.

they don't only take advantage of LEDC...also from countries like Germany and Spain...and in the end, they're probably going to manage most of the world
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
I just finished watching a documentary on how globalization (in the way that it's being done now) and neoliberalism is bad, and how big private companies can take over societies and do whatever they want which is why 80% of the money in the world is owned by 20% of the population....so...what are your opinions on this topic? do you think that today's globalization is good? bad?

Well, I would say that people who say that watched "Robocop" one too many times. (You know, the big eeevil corporation who won't spend millions of dollars to fix a cyborg who thinks he's human and stalks his ex-wife)

Quote by Cpt.Jackass

Is your teacher by any chance a woman with short hair who carries her stuff in a briefcase and speaks in a loud, "manly" tone of voice?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Nov 11, 2007,
I think it's pretty good, nationalism has caused so many wars its incredible not that being more universal wont have its own share of problems i just wont think it will be as bad.
Quote by Mad Marius
Well, I would say that people who say that watched "Robocop" one too many times. (You know, the big eeevil corporation who won't spend millions of dollars to fix a cyborg who thinks he's human and stalks his ex-wife)

Some of the people who say that on the documentary are: Adolfo Perez Esquivel (winner of the Nobel Price of Peace), Jose Saramago (winner of the Nobel Price of Literature), Carlos Taibo (Profesor of Political Science), Jean Ziegler (Writer and Politic), Susan George (Vicepresident of ATTAC), Sami Nair (Political Scientist), Maria Jose Farinas (Profesor of Philosophy) and others

I think they know what they're talking about
-Homer Simpson
It'd be a good thing if it weren;t for the greed and immorality of many companies (not all just many)
People before profit
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The part of the documentary that made me think is when the Nobel Peace Price winner said that we have to open our eyes and take action
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
The part of the documentary that made me think is when the Nobel Peace Price winner said that we have to open our eyes and take action

What action is being proposed?
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Bad. The world is being flooded with American consumer products, all the cultures of the world are being destroyed and replaced by the American "lack of culture". It's about capitalism and the greed of huge American corporations who will do anything to earn money and don't care about the consequences of their actions, including those that affect the environment.
Quote by Badreligionrock
What action is being proposed?

idk :s...i haven't finished watching the documentary (it's a 6 part documentary and each part is an hour long), i've seen the first 2...what he said roughly was "i once saw a chef gather 4 animals and asked each one which sauce do they want to be cooked in, one said that he didn't want to be cooked and the chef responded that they could not choose that, only the sauce in which they're going to be cooked" then he said "the people now are acting like the animals, so, do you want to be cooked?" ....my interpretation was that we should do something, so that we don't get cooked
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
Some of the people who say that on the documentary are: Adolfo Perez Esquivel (winner of the Nobel Price of Peace), Jose Saramago (winner of the Nobel Price of Literature), Carlos Taibo (Profesor of Political Science), Jean Ziegler (Writer and Politic), Susan George (Vicepresident of ATTAC), Sami Nair (Political Scientist), Maria Jose Farinas (Profesor of Philosophy) and others

I think they know what they're talking about

First of all, as of this year, Nobel prizes mean nothing to me, since apparently they'll give'em to anyone who can scare the world enough, no matter how cookie his research and how exagerrated his statements.

And whenever there's a real world issue involved, like money, economics, research and technology, and I hear the opinions of writers, philosophers and especially politicians, I either change the channel, or hit Alt+F4 (depending on where I'm watching that).

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
First of all, as of this year, Nobel prizes mean nothing to me, since apparently they'll give'em to anyone who can scare the world enough, no matter how cookie his research and how exagerrated his statements.

And whenever there's a real world issue involved, like money, economics, research and technology, and I hear the opinions of writers, philosophers and especially politicians, I either change the channel, or hit Alt+F4 (depending on where I'm watching that).

ok...so let me explain what they said..maybe you'll agree...before globalization, country's companies were run by the state, but then, international private companies came and are replacing those public companies...the international companies are in the end ran by a small number of huge companies which because they own the electricity company, water company, phone, etc of countries they can do whatever they want...for example, in Germany, Siemens, told Germany that they didn't like a certain law and if that they didn't chang the law, they would move their company from there...guess what Germany did? Changed the law...so basically those huge companies can do whatever the want

idk if i explained it correctly but that's what i got from the documentary
-Homer Simpson
Quote by macho man
Bad. The world is being flooded with American consumer products, all the cultures of the world are being destroyed and replaced by the American "lack of culture". It's about capitalism and the greed of huge American corporations who will do anything to earn money and don't care about the consequences of their actions, including those that affect the environment.

That was true 10 years ago. Consumers are a hell of a lot smarter now, and governments have wisened up to the exploitations of multinationals. Get an updated view point.

Quote by blues-guitarist
ok...so let me explain what they said..maybe you'll agree...before globalization, country's companies were run by the state, but then, international private companies came and are replacing those public companies...the international companies are in the end ran by a small number of huge companies which because they own the electricity company, water company, phone, etc of countries they can do whatever they want...for example, in Germany, Siemens, told Germany that they didn't like a certain law and if that they didn't chang the law, they would move their company from there...guess what Germany did? Changed the law...so basically those huge companies can do whatever the want

In a mixed economy, like Germany, there will always be public companies. Free markets don't work, private and public sectors know this alike.

I don't understand what part Siemens are playing in Germany. Are they the only telephone line provider there or something? That'd strike me as odd...
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Last edited by Badreligionrock at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Badreligionrock

I don't understand what part Siemens are playing in Germany. Are they the only telephone line provider there or something? That'd strike me as odd...

exactly, you don't understand why, but the fact is that they changed laws for their own advantage which is the point i was trying to make
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by blues-guitarist

Laws have, and will always change out of personal interest, deals which benefit a small number of high-ranking people as opposed to the sea of regular Joes will always be made, whether an economy is state owned or privately owned. If it's not big companies, it's gangs of politicians.

So essentially you're almost in the same shit, with the difference that private owners are much better at conducting their business than the state.

Depends what's being globalised. Not necessarily. I don't think all aspects of modern globalisation are bad either.
Quote by Mad Marius

Is your teacher by any chance a woman with short hair who carries her stuff in a briefcase and speaks in a loud, "manly" tone of voice?

Lol, no actually. He's a married man, he's a pretty cool guy to be fair.

Sorry to resurrect, but I felt compelled to defend my awesome Geography teacher.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Laws have, and will always change out of personal interest, deals which benefit a small number of high-ranking people as opposed to the sea of regular Joes will always be made, whether an economy is state owned or privately owned. If it's not big companies, it's gangs of politicians.

So essentially you're almost in the same shit, with the difference that private owners are much better at conducting their business than the state.so you would rather have your country ran by a few international corporations than by your country's politicians?
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Nov 16, 2007,
At least politicians are somewhat accountable for their actions. They can't screw up too badly, they have to eventually answer to the people.

Who does a corporation answer to..?

$$$