My new-to-me 1991 American-made Strat is in the mail, and should be here next week. Guy I bought it from says he had the action set real high as he liked to play a lot of slide. Gotta change that.

So question is... what is a fair price to expect to be charged by a shop to go through the guitar and set everything up right. Action, intonation, all that stuff. New strings too, of course.

Go ahead and assume nothing is overly screwed up. No parts except for strings. Basic setup. I hope nothing more is needed...

Thanks.
I guess around 25 to 40$, but this depends on where you live and how comprehensive the setup is.

Also, many things performed during these set ups are easily done yourself, with a tutorial on the web or a good maintenance/repair book.

For instance, lowering the action and setting the intonation is done in a few minutes, with very basic tools.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
my local place is $20 + strings. Nothing special no floyd rose b.s.
I wouldn't pay someone to adjust my action. You've probably got the proper Allen Key around, so just look up a guide on the internet, and do it yourself. It'll save oyu a few bucks, and it'll be educational, as well.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
The shop here charges $75 (yes, $75) for a full setup...which is why I consider it an absolute last resort if I can't set mine up perfectly.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
The shop here charges $75 (yes, $75) for a full setup...which is why I consider it an absolute last resort if I can't set mine up perfectly.

Again it depends what they think is a full setup. If it includes things like fret dressing, that is a fair price.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!