ibanez ts-9
boss ce-5
mxr phase 90
bigshot aby
big muff pi
It's ugly. White plate on a black guitar... ugh
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by ZacR
Just curious of why they do this?

It's a combination of looks and also to make the springs and the tremolo more accessible.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Why does eddie van halen seem to reach into his sometimes during solos?
Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
Eddie did some crazy things to his guitars so no telling sometimes. I know he sawed his bridge in half so the wammy only affected half the strings. And they only make 2 colors of plates for the back of strats that I have seen. I know mine is white on black. Can always make one if you wanted or use the spray paint that sticks to plastic to make it the color you want.
eric johnson claims it affects the tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tackleberry
I know he sawed his bridge in half so the wammy only affected half the strings.

wow

never knew of him doing that

crazy fecker
Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
Joe Sandercore, the guy with all those youtube lessons talked about doing it. He just leaves it off because he doesn't believe that it really protected much anyway and that it is just easier to not have them on there.
Quote by Dave_Mc

it does. i claim that too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
it does. i claim that too.

Have anything to back that up? Left me curious as to why EJ said it.
well, i don't really know why, but with the back plate on, the sound is muffled. it's not the point where it's muddy, but when the back plate is off, it sounds more open, airy, it gets the chime through. if u know what i mean.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Dave_Mc

im highly suprised eric johnson doesnt question the moons gravity affecting his tone or blaming the poor african children - that man is quite megalomonic in his statements
I guess that makes sense. I was thinking it'd be more technical than that, being that Eric Johnson said it.
he only says stuff that effects the sound. like chipping off paint to let the wood "breathe" and stuff. and the kind of picks, his hate of pick attacks, etc.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
you could make a chuck norris style thread on Eric

i.e

1)Eric only inhabits studios that are north of the equator
2)Eric only allows guitars made from wood coming from trees that are exactly 57.25 ft high

etc

sadly though, half the comments people would make, would actually be true
if u put it in GG&A forum, yes. but in the pit, no.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by davedoom
you could make a chuck norris style thread on Eric

i.e

1)Eric only inhabits studios that are north of the equator
2)Eric only allows guitars made from wood coming from trees that are exactly 57.25 ft high

etc

sadly though, half the comments people would make, would actually be true

eric johnson only uses guitar strings made from the intestines of small mexican babies
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I personally like it better...you get a better acoustic tone
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
i think it looks better with it off, but i carved #1 into mine
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Tackleberry
And they only make 2 colors of plates for the back of strats that I have seen.

For the record, the backplate on mine is tortoiseshell. I leave it on.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ +1
Only reason why i took it off really... Taking it off just waste 2 minutes of my life
I took it off because I have nothing to hide.

Quote by slatsmania
For the record, the backplate on mine is tortoiseshell. I leave it on.

In Slat's case, back plate's are for the man who has nothing to hide, but still wants to.

Cookies for anyone who gets my reference?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
As stated, accessibility of the tremolo system from the rear and relative ease to change strings.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I leave mine off, EJ claims it effects his tone (then again, what doesnt) I havnt really heard much difference, its hardly noticeable, but it is.

And also I like the look of it off better.
Do you know what? I think most people just take it off to the adjust the trem, and decide they can't be arsed screwing it back on again!

As proof...suspiciously, none of my strats have backplates on them any more but my S series still does. Possibly that's because its backplate has a little hole and a thumbwheel through it to adjust the trem with - so I never have to remove it!

EJ claims it effects his tone (then again, what doesnt)

Lol sometimes, I reckon Eric Johnson just makes stuff up to see how many people will actually try it...
I don't like his tone that much anyway - his studio albums are horribly cheesy. Joe Bonamassa gets similar (but much better) tones and he doesn't seem nearly as fussy as EJ!

That said, I must admit there is a slight difference in tone, though I have precisely no idea how the feck it works! The mind boggles.
I do it for several reasons:

1.) It does affect tone slightly, I find

2.) I use/manipulate the springs to create certain effects and

3.) Adjusting a Floyd Rose with the back on is a chore, and they usually need adjusting
Van Halen reaches back in there to hit the springs and get cools sounds. Put on some reverb and distortion and try it.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
Van Halen reaches back in there to hit the springs and get cools sounds. Put on some reverb and distortion and try it.

Yep, that's what I do... delay, reverb, distortion (or not, depends), and even some wah. Definitly a good reason to leave the back plate off, IMO.
Quote by CORT noob

In Slat's case, back plate's are for the man who has nothing to hide, but still wants to.

Cookies for anyone who gets my reference?

Shower shorts!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
Shower shorts!

Cookies?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by WFMedia
I do it for several reasons:

1.) It does affect tone slightly, I find

It probably does affect tone very slightly, but I highly doubt most would have the ear to honestly notice a difference in sound with the back plate on/off. The majority of guitarists (especially gigging musicians) leave the backplate off for easy access to the trem and springs, not because there's a slight change in tone.

I bet Eric Johnson himself couldn't prove it. If I played the same guitar a couple times, a few times with the backplate and a few times without it, I'm sure nobody would really be able to tell when the backplate is on and/or off. Then again, it's Eric Johnson. He'll claim he couldn't hear properly due to me breathing as I play.
Page 1 of 2