i added the with references to ff because i thought then people who werent into classical but were into ff would have a look. however, im true to my word . . .

basically, lots of good guitarists seem to be influenced by classical music (or at least a few) and i have been wanting to listen to bits of it for a while, but i cant wade in with no knowledge or i may be searching forever for what im looking for.

i have the sound in my head, but obviously sounds are difficult to describe, so the best i can really do is say - epic. i want some clasical music that feels quite epic, and really starts to get you heart going, you know like in battle scenes for war movies, or where theres loads of chanting that gets louder and louder. the only example i can come up with really is the intro to final fantasy 8 before you get control of any characters (the cut scene with the duel between seifer and squall) and the new smirnoff ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iXwzBvdrIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZ2ibvZb2Q

other than that, as in examples in rock, the only thing i can think of that really even comes close is scorpions moment of glory
Try asking The Madcap. He's very much into classical music and could probably give you a good starting point.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Clint Mansell writes music of this sort.

Check out the main theme for The Fountain (the song is called Death is the Road to Awe), the theme from Smokin' Aces (called Dead Reckoning), and the theme from Requiem for a Dream (called Lux Aeterna).

Though Dead Reckoning and Lux Aeterna are of course beautiful and powerful, I believe Death is the Road to Awe shows his brilliance, more than the other two, as a modern composer.
My God, it's full of stars!
Also Franz Liszt wrote this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBygW-3ffOY

It's supposed to be one of, if not, THE most difficult piano piece.

If you watch the last minute, you'll see why.
well im not sure if it counts as classical, but one toon that really gets me going is the theme to "two worlds" on xbox 360 / PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woHgdJRQoc

This is only the first 2 mins or so of it, theres more but i cant find it anywhere on t'internet. I've got the mp3 tho, PM me if u want
if its epic u want

mozart - requiem

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nl-wRbJoWVA

that dies irae is spectacular

also schoenberg - Verklärte Nacht

i cant find any good performances on youtube, but if you can get a hold of a copy of that, its a spectacular piece
That Smirnoff commercial one is badass man and the memories from Final Fantasy VIII...

Hmm, during the credits of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 there is an epic classical instrumental going on.

One-Winged Angel from Final Fantasy 7

The song from Excalibur, I think it is called O Fortuna

I can't think of anymore right now, maybe later. Also, if you like Final Fantasy music, look into Nobuo Uematsu, he is (well was) the composer for all the Final Fantasy games until 12.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Dreadnought
Eh

That's like saying Asturias (Leyenda) is one of, if not THE most difficult classical guitar pieces.
Well, I've heard that the ending is the most difficult piano passage. I've heard that all the most skilled piano virtuosos (Cziffra, Horowitz, Hamelin, Rachmaninoff, etc.) of the 20th century couldn't even play the original ending the way Liszt wrote it, and that the way all of them play it is a simplified version.

But I'm no pianist.
I'm not into classical music that much, but I love Nobou Uematsu's work for the FF games. Frederic Chopin has written some great stuff as well.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
^^ for sure, Nobuo Uematsu really is a genius when it comes to some of his pieces, my favourite has gotta be the FF7 stuff, be it the originals or the Advent Children versions (bass ass!)
Quote by The Madcap
But I've got no pianist.

Lollercaust.

Edit: Just listened to your stuff Madcap - finest classical player on here.
Nobuo recently worked on the soundtrack for the game Blue Dragon, I really like it. Probably the best computer game soundtrack I've heard since Final Fantasy IX.
I particularly like one track called "Release the Seal" it's got a whole mixture of stuff going on in it.
Quote by The Madcap
Well, I've heard that the ending is the most difficult piano passage. I've heard that all the most skilled piano virtuosos (Cziffra, Horowitz, Hamelin, Rachmaninoff, etc.) of the 20th century couldn't even play the original ending the way Liszt wrote it, and that the way all of them play it is a simplified version.

But I'm no pianist.

Its because Liszt had a bone disease that allowed him to stretch his hands far beyond the normal capabilities of humans. Its just almost physically impossible for normal people.
does anyone, (since madcap is a very fine classical guitarist this is partly aimed at him) know how i would take something like Liberi Fatali - the final fantasy 8 intro and change it into a guitar track? there are so many different things going on, id need at least 4 hands and two necks to play anything close to it surely?
Quote by acidhammerdrums
Its because Liszt had a bone disease that allowed him to stretch his hands far beyond the normal capabilities of humans. Its just almost physically impossible for normal people.
I think it also had to do with the fact that he didn't have any webbing between his fingers. It was like he hands were specially made to play music.
You want epic? I've got EXACTLY what you want.

http://www.save-tara.com/
The composer's name is Richard J. Durand and he writes epic fantasy compositions. The kind of stuff you hear in film scores or RPG games, basically. Check out his download section.

edit:
I recommend checking out "The Dramatic War" first
edit2:
Actually, the version on his website is different from the one I downloaded a long time ago. This one is more cleaned up and has less vocal emphasis.
Last edited by Archaon at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by The Madcap
I think it also had to do with the fact that he didn't have any webbing between his fingers. It was like he hands were specially made to play music.

Ah, yes that's right. I think its just the webbing, I couldn't remember if it was his bones or the webbing, I guessed wrong it seems.