Hey UG.

If I went to the gym every day, not for long about 30 minutes, how long would it be before I started to see the effects on my arms?

Opposed to being a puny lil' pussy, I want to start building my muscle up.

So how long would it be before my arms started looking reasonably hench?

Cheers!
R E G G A E
depends on your metabolism, # of reps, how much weight, etc.

don't expect to see any significant results for about 2 months, I'd say.
depends, id say 2 weeks at best, couple o months if ur not lucky
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
it varies...

a few weeks should be enough though, just remember to rest afterwards. eat well etc etc

were i work i lift 9+ ton in 8 hours for 5 days a week and im not exactly huge, so im guessing its not just about lifting as much as you can in the shortest amount of time.
one more thing...more weight, less reps=bulk

more reps, less weight=tone
What would I need to do in one trip to make it reasonably useful?
And afterwards should I eat a lot of protein?

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
one more thing...more weight, less reps=bulk

more reps, less weight=tone

Really? Cheers!
R E G G A E
Do few reps, lots of weight.
Eat lots of protein in general. Not necessarily just after the gym.

And I wouldn't think it would take that long. Few weeks maybe.
you probably wont notice a change yourself, nor would anyone who sees you everyday. id say , take pictures of yourself now (go ahead, act macho, shirt off, flex... blah blah blah) and you keep those to yourself. then take more pictures after a month or so and compare them to the old ones. i suspect you'll see a difference by that time.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
actually, while im on, before you commit to the gym, see how you fare with push ups and coke bottles for a month or so

you will be surprised
Yes you should eat protien afterwards. if your looking for mainly upper body strength do bicep curls and bench presses quite a bit.

plus dont over-do it, althought 30 mins a day you probs wont, just remember your body builds muscle when resting.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
depends on ur build. different people build at different speeds. like if ur short and stocky u mite have a hard time seeing the effects
Yea I started hitting the gym about 3 times a week and saw some decent results in like 3 weeks, pretty solid.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
About the time you see girls checking out your arms...

You probably won't see the difference in yourself for a long while, but to other people it will be more obvious. I can't however give you an actual timespan, as I'm not a male who goes to a gym to build up muscle.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing, I'm starting to see a tiny bit of results after a couple of weeks. Lift, protein, repeat.
Quote by Def
depends on ur build. different people build at different speeds. like if ur short and stocky u mite have a hard time seeing the effects

I'm tall (6"3) and thin and weak.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
actually, while im on, before you commit to the gym, see how you fare with push ups and coke bottles for a month or so

Coke bottles?
R E G G A E
I started last summer, though with less weight, more reps. You'll probably see noticeable results in a few months or less.

Coke bottles?

Yeah, you know. That thing the delicious drink comes in
Quote by TheDarkestNights
I'm tall (6"3) and thin and weak.

hows ur shoulders and chest ? protruding and square on the shoulders or more loose ?
Quote by Def
hows ur shoulders and chest ? protruding and square on the shoulders or more loose ?

... I'm not sure.
I have little muscle at all, so it's basically below average I'd assume.
R E G G A E
Coke bottles?

yea, 2kg, arms length, 50 reps, ???, massive arms....well, maybe not massive, but you get the idea.

my dads mate joined a proper weight lifting club, and before they let him loose on geet big dumbells and such they started him off lifting coke.....and this is a fully grown man.
Do not go every day, you'll end up over training and making no progress.

go 3-4 times a week, and focus on one group of muscles per day.
Have a Legs, Back (this includes Bicep work, cause its a lot of pulling exercises) and Chest (which includes triceps, because of pushing movements).
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
yea, 2kg, arms length, 50 reps, ???, massive arms....well, maybe not massive, but you get the idea.

my dads mate joined a proper weight lifting club, and before they let him loose on geet big dumbells and such they started him off lifting coke.....and this is a fully grown man.

Oh!
Basically doing reps with those 2 litre bottles?
That sounds far less embarassing that going for the smallest weight amongst all the biggest bodybuilders. >.<
R E G G A E
... I'm not sure.
I have little muscle at all, so it's basically below average I'd assume.

if u have strong shoulders even without the exercise usualy the bulk builds more easily than the weaker figure, but doesnt mean it cant be done. just means it'll take a bit longer to get looking like arnie.
you won't see any results if you don't rest and eat properly, and why just work on your arms it would just look stupid if they get big and the rest of your body doesn't.
*looks at profile*

christ, so thats what we gotta work with :P

yea, you're not gonna want humongous arms, go for tone. i reckon coke ftw tbh, and tuna.....lots of tuna, 25% protein y'know :P
Make sure you don't work the same part of your body every day. You'll stress out your muscles and you won't see any progress.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
*looks at profile*

christ, so thats what we gotta work with :P

yea, you're not gonna want humongous arms, go for tone. i reckon coke ftw tbh, and tuna.....lots of tuna, 25% protein y'know :P

I hate tuna.
R E G G A E
Quote by Meths
Do few reps, lots of weight.
Eat lots of protein in general. Not necessarily just after the gym.

And I wouldn't think it would take that long. Few weeks maybe.

Actually, it's better to do less weight and more reps. Not only because it's healthier for you that way, but also because you can be the rock solid wiry guy that no one wants to **** with
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
I hate tuna.

well chicken is the way forward for you my friend
I hate tuna.

well, pretty much any fish will do you. just get alot of it down
Eggs have good protein too.
Needlenick wrote:

I started 10 months ago...I go 3 times a week for 1 and a half hours (plus the time playing ping pong afterwards)..
I notice the changes, but don't care too much about that.....I'm more into competition qith my friends
I don't wat those protein stuff....but I eat some steak once in a while...
Hell, with time you will notice, but at least give yourself 1 more year to look like a hulk...
Also, unless you want to get fat, juggle your proteins with your carbs. Since you're trying to bulk up, I doubt you'll have this problem, but I just thought I'd throw that out there, because protein+carbohydrates= fat people. Why do you think cheeseburgers are so fattening? haha
Needlenick wrote:

It'll take a month or so I guess depending on how much you work out, but don't over do it.

While we are on the subject of gym and fitness; what exercises are the best for getting rid of fat in the lower tummy, and what are best for toning the chest? I do 30 pull-ups and 15 or-so push-ups a night, 2 reps of that weird thing where you lay back on your forearms and cycle your legs in the air and 4 reps of 3KG dumbbells.

There should be a fitness thread really
NOPE.
Quote by charvel_man
It'll take a month or so I guess depending on how much you work out, but don't over do it.

While we are on the subject of gym and fitness; what exercises are the best for getting rid of fat in the lower tummy, and what are best for toning the chest? I do 30 pull-ups and 15 or-so push-ups a night, 2 reps of that weird thing where you lay back on your forearms and cycle your legs in the air and 4 reps of 3KG dumbbells.

There should be a fitness thread really

push ups with arms spread wide apart for pecs i think

and one hand on top of the other and stick ur elbows out for ur tri's......so i belive, um not sure on tummy fat, could do with losing that myself lol, prolly diet more than anything, and maybe like where you hang and raise ur knees to ur stomach, but im not sure
Don't go every day. Your body needs time to recuperate. Every other day is pretty ideal (for me).

After 1-2 weeks you should at least see SOME change. Not significant but you'll see it.

-SD
My pecs are kind of flabby. I don't have man boobs by any stretch of the imagination, if they were muscle they'd actually look good, but they aren't...someone saidpushups are good for fixing that?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I like the idea of lifting two litres....there's a gym on campus but I don't really like going there, so stuff I can do in the dorm room is nice.