Page 1 of 2
What maked the difference in the P.H.s? The amp or the guitar. I was looking at ibanez's to get the Killswitch P.H's. Anyone know any good guitar or pickups good for metalish kind of playing. Budget: maybe 200-300 dollars. Thanks.
Pinch harmonics are technique.
Practice more.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
And then when you get past people like that try putting heavier strings on your guitar, they will make the PH sound more full. Try a higher gain amp and maybe some high gain pickups like EMGS

but remember, higher gain=less room for mistakes
Quote by Yngwi3
Pinch harmonics are technique.
Practice more.

I have the technique down, but it dosen't help if you have a ****ty guitar.
Quote by WSguitarist502

I agree with you, i hate ignorant comments like "They are techninque, practice"

I have it down on my guitar but can't get them very well on my friend's piece of crap Sam's Club Starcaster
Quote by Dance_of_Death

I have it down on my guitar but can't get them very well on my friend's piece of crap Sam's Club Starcaster

lol anyway +1 to what Yngwi3 said
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
I'd just like to point out that I can hit them with a guitar that's almost impossible to play. Technique > equipment
Quote by Dance_of_Death

Hahaha I can get them on a POS acoustic dude.
Sure, technique counts, but a high-gain amp or preamp, plus a hot humbucker really makes 'em sing. Emphasis on the high-gain amp/preamp. When I have my Engl preamp at max gain, with the treble up, pinched harmonics almost play themselves.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by Dance_of_Death

That's what I learned it on.
Quote by Dance_of_Death

I can get them off an acoustic, so i think you'll find that it is all technique and if you cant get it how you want, you need to keep practising
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Lol I use a Starcaster and thats what I learned them on also. I am still beginning.
I never answered your question:

• Peavey 5150/6505
• Engl E530 preamp
• DiMarzio super distortion humbuckers
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I would have to say high gain would help the most. I have a Squire Strat ($150) And I can rip great PH's from it using my Crate Flexwave 65 ($280). My squire has stock pickups, I think they are like $10 a piece, single coil not even humbuckers. I am really surprised how good the Squier will pinch. I have a nice Ibanez RG 2550 prestige, and the squire is not far behind the Ibanez with the pinches.
I have a squire also. I Have a peavey envoy 110 which is not a bad amp. I need a new amp anyway. I'm not a fan of this amps tone.
When I switch pickups on my guitar, I notice that each pickup has a different way of responding to pinch harmonics, hotter pickups being more responsive. Based on this observation, I think it's reasonable to assume that pickups play a big role in your harmonics. Gain seems to help out as well.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Quintessence153
I think it's reasonable to assume that pickups play a big role in your harmonics.

My Squire Strats $10 single coil bridge pickup must be a monster then.

If you want to pull PH get a amp with good distortion and practice, thats all. Your guitar should do them fine.
Quote by Say Ocean
Hahaha I can get them on a POS acoustic dude.

Pshh, I can PH while playing guitar hero... ACOUSTICALLY!!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't recommend changing your whole rig just for a pinch harmonic sound. Unless your using a crappy cheap guitar with an Epi Valve Junior, you should be okay with what you've got and maybe a pedal. I recommed you look into pedals. Buying a new guitar/amp just so you can overuse harmonics like zakk wylde = bad idea in the long run
for good pinches, you need a lot of treble/gain. different pickups help but you should be able to do decent pinches regardless of what pickups you have. EMG's are supposed to be good for the job. my ESP has EMG's and I can do good pinches on my crappy 15 watt practice amp as long as I have the treble and gain turned up. so yeah, crank that stuff and you should be fine if you're good with the technique.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by mazohysthoney at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by WSguitarist502

Sorry, you're wrong.

It shouldn't matter what guitar you have, whether it be an electric or acoustic, you should be able to hear it on either UNPLUGGED or you just don't have the technique down yet. I can get a good squeal out of any amp, hi-gain, low-gain or no-gain, doesn't matter.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well it really is muuuuch easier to do them if you have the right amp (any good metal amp) and the right pickups (like emg's)....than they should come out really easy -- but to learn them i would recommend to play on the clean channel of your amp!!!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Quote by Quintessence153
I think it's reasonable to assume that pickups play a big role in your harmonics.

People can do them on acoustics v. successfully, based on this observation, I think it's reasonable to assume that technique is all you need.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
/thread.

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by srv2112
Pshh, I can PH while playing guitar hero... ACOUSTICALLY!!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't recommend changing your whole rig just for a pinch harmonic sound. Unless your using a crappy cheap guitar with an Epi Valve Junior, you should be okay with what you've got and maybe a pedal. I recommed you look into pedals. Buying a new guitar/amp just so you can overuse harmonics like zakk wylde = bad idea in the long run

What's wrong with Cheap guitars and Epi Valve Juniors? You just insulted my entire rig!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I think all he's saying is using a guitar that's hard to play with a low-gain amp is going to make it harder to hear pinch harmonics ring out as they should.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
if you cant get them to squeal your technique isn't right. I can do it clean I can do it on an acoustic and that's through both a £80 amp and a £500 amp.

yes high output pups and a high gain amp will help, but if your technique isnt up to scratch you'll be disappointed
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dance_of_Death

ignorant comments?

it's hard for you to get the pinch harmonics on your friend's guitar cause every guitar has a different spot to get the best sound of the harmonics

i can do pinch harmonics in my $20 acoustic.... (you can barely hear them but i can nail them)

of course, high output pickups and a high gain amp helps too
We should post videos of real cheap guitars with cheap pickups and see who can squeal the best.
Quote by ninja23
We should post videos of real cheap guitars with cheap pickups and see who can squeal the best.

I'll record all my guitars (including acoustic) tomorrow, unplugged, playing some riffs with pinches, you can hear mine very easily.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sorry, you're wrong.

It shouldn't matter what guitar you have, whether it be an electric or acoustic, you should be able to hear it on either UNPLUGGED or you just don't have the technique down yet. I can get a good squeal out of any amp, hi-gain, low-gain or no-gain, doesn't matter.

YES THANK YOU! +1!
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
I can wail pinched harmonics like nobody's business on a Hello Kitty Strat.

Quote by Yngwi3
People can do them on acoustics v. successfully, based on this observation, I think it's reasonable to assume that technique is all you need.

Hmm, not sure about that.
I can do them on acoustic, I can do them on an electric guitar unplugged.
But that has to be amplified, etc., go through the pickups and amp and everything which do affect the sound.
Just flicking between bridge and neck pickups affects it, flicking between the different models of my Cube affects it - on clean you hear very little. Flick to rectifier and they squeal.
My Ibanez through my Valveking I get decent squeals but using my bandmates Ibanez through his overdriven JCM900 and they pop out like nobody's business.

The only common factor in all these set-ups is my technique which doesn't change.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
M'kay. I have a hard time squeling in low tuning like Drop-c where the tensions are low. Does that happen to anyone else?
Quote by WSguitarist502
M'kay. I have a hard time squeling in low tuning like Drop-c where the tensions are low. Does that happen to anyone else?

Actually yes. Especially with the thicker strings.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dance_of_Death

dude theyre not ignorant comments. good pickups + good amp does help, but most of it is still ur technique. i can do pinch harmonics on a squire strat thru a frontman amp, it just doesnt sound as good as with a nicer guitar, but its still a pinch harmonic.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Page 1 of 2