My friends and i are starting a new metal/alternative band. We have writen a couple of basic songs just simmple chords in dropped d. I want to write some more complicated stuf. There is no rhythym guitar player just me. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. thanks
Try pealing away from chords. Learn some scales and mess around with them. If it sounds a bit empty with only one guitar, try playing a chord or two then a little lead riff, then back to the chords.
yeah, that's what i would to.
you might want to play with vibratos and dives.
yeah same here. sometimes i, for example, playing a normal C chord, then move it up two frets so the G string is 2 steps lower than it should be, (if that makes any sense) although i am not sure what kind of chord you would call that. For riffs i find that dorian and aeolian are the easiest to make new riffs in, but it is probably different for everyone.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Listen to funk guitarists for 5 hours straight, they've always got new unique things, it's good influence.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
Listen to some bands you would never consider listening to. Try things which you haven't done. Then bring it back into metal and write something. Just sit and play and find cool riffs. Write them all down. Then keep jamming over them, and look for improvements you can make. It's a process.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Try riffing with "chords". With "chords" I mean 2 or 3 notes together.

For example:
D|-------------------5----------
A|-0---0----5-7-5-7-3--3--
D|-0---0----5-5-5---3--2--
(Not sure if it actually sounds good, I just imagined it would sound good in my head.)

This way you can keep it heavy, fun to play, melodic and you have a base for singing over it.