I'm thinking of getting some new humbuckers for my Patrick Eggle, my first impressions are that Seymours would better suit this guitar as they have a pretty wide choice, but I remember the difference when I installed a DiMarzio on a guitar years ago it was pretty insane, so what do you reckon?

I want it to be versatile but mainly for rock,blues and a bit of metal shredding!
go for the Duncans.
Dimarzio's can die out faster.
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
^ I never heard that before.

I'd hold more stock to dimarzios -- I like the way they sound better for the most part.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
I'd go for Seymour Duncuns because they have a more wide variety of pickups for what you want and I personally like them better.
Quote by TMVolta19
go for the Duncans.

This is plain ignorance
Its all preference. Look at their websites and see what pickup they have that will work best for you. I don't prefer any company to another, because each one of their pickups does something differently or better then the other, and I don't think one does pickups better in general then the other. For what its worth though. I find Duncans are more Gibson/Vintage voiced and DiMarzio's are more modern voiced.
^same here

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
DiMarzio am teh suxcors!
Only joking, um get the seymours, preferably an SH-4 JB in the bridge and a '59 (I think) in the neck.
DiMarzio are very good as far as I've heard, but they are really shred pickups and have quite a "thin" sound.
So I'd say the duncans would be more versatile.
I just replaced my Duncan's with sum sexy new EMG'z. I'll sell you my Duncans for $25 a piece.
Quote by guitarnoize
I think choosing pickups is really hard because you can't really test them?! Seymour Duncan has a lot of audio samples on their site which is great but DiMarzio don't have any which sucks

Dimarzio do have audio samples on their site,,,,
Quote by Pagan-Pie

DiMarzio are very good as far as I've heard, but they are really shred pickups and have quite a "thin" sound.

Have you heard some of the Dimarzios before? The Breed, and the Chopper, both of which i own, are amongst be beefiest pickups I've ever heard.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I used to own a DiMarzio humbucker back in '90 or something when I was a young teen shredder and it was a Steve Vai bright pink high gain model, sounded awesome, looked quite gay! I agree the samples on the site aren't as useful as Seymour's site because they are just samples from songs, there is no test case. On Seymour's site the same guitar is used on all the samples.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
DiMarzio am teh suxcors!
Only joking, um get the seymours, preferably an SH-4 JB in the bridge and a '59 (I think) in the neck.
So I'd say the duncans would be more versatile.

as an inmediate answer

Quote by rokket2005
This is plain ignorance

it depends on what you want, both dimarzio and duncan have a wide variety of pickups, don't get stucked with the classic set up of any brand, make some research, you might want to mix brands

also, both sites have good descriptions on the pickups so they're really helpfull

i could only recommend you dimarzios (cause i haven't tried any sd)

for bridge

evolution
breed
air norton
Not sure what dimarzios are in my dean, but that is one of the nicest sounding guitars i'd ever heard (why I bought it). If I were to start a custom build today dimarzios would be in it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by TMVolta19
go for the Duncans.

I never heard that either. Though I would go for the Dimarzio's. They have a wide variety of sounds through their pups. As stated before, dont try to get stuck with a classic set. Mix it up!

Good Luck!
i prefer seymour duncan's actually, i like the PAF PRO from dimarzio, that midrange spike is pretty awesome when you can notice it, and the super distortion can be a bit fuzzy sometimes, but it kicks a** when used and eq'd right, so..it's really up to preferance
I put an EVO 2 in the neck and the PAF Pro in the bridge (Les Paul), and it sounds great for blues/classic rock/whatever. I coil-tapped the neck p/u and it sounds great like that too; they really are versatile. I mostly play blues and jazz now, and I still love the tones I can get out of it. I haven't tried any Seymour Duncans, but I can completely recommend DizMarzio.
youre never gonna get a straight answer here- try em both out and see what you like. Listen to the sound clips on their sites and try em out. Both of them have deals where you can return the pickup if you dont like it and swap it for a new one till you find the sound you like.
I personally love both and use both in my guitars.

Good luck dude
I'd tend to lean towards Dimarzios, as although SD should be commended for having scientific samples of their pickups, Dimarzios in general tend to be much more affordable, are more willing to experiment, and have better descriptions on their pickup characteristics (EQ, pick attack sensitivity). Then again, they are criticized for having a more "processed" than warm sound...

It may be best to go to Harmony Central for firsthand details on pups you are interested in.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Maniaxe
youre never gonna get a straight answer here- try em both out and see what you like. Listen to the sound clips on their sites and try em out. Both of them have deals where you can return the pickup if you dont like it and swap it for a new one till you find the sound you like.
I personally love both and use both in my guitars.

Good luck dude

I didn't know you could try them out, very interesting, thanks for the info guys that would the best solution. I really liked the sound of the '59 duncan but then I like the high gain dimarzio sounds too like the norton and the Fred (ok I just want that "Flying in a blue dream" sound!) looks like I'll have to ring around the music stores in Sydney and see if they offer the same exchange deal you are talking about in the US.
Quote by guitarnoize
I didn't know you could try them out, very interesting, thanks for the info guys that would the best solution. I really liked the sound of the '59 duncan but then I like the high gain dimarzio sounds too like the norton and the Fred (ok I just want that "Flying in a blue dream" sound!) looks like I'll have to ring around the music stores in Sydney and see if they offer the same exchange deal you are talking about in the US.

yep just make sure u keep the reciepts and the paperwork that comes with the pickup
Quote by TMVolta19
go for the Duncans.

Pickups don't "die out"

mong

Pickup choice is highly dependent on your guitar and amp, and of course the qualities you want in your tone. However, if you're wanting something that tends towards Satriani type tones then Dimarzio is probably the way to go. A lot of their models tend to have that accentuated midrange spike which gives you that slight vocal quality to the tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think im going to get evolution bridge and SD JB for neck. (I know they are both mainly used in bridge but...)
I have Seymour Duncans (a 59 and JB) in my guitar, and I love them. However, I have noticed that when I play guitars with Dimarzio's, they pick up every little detail of my playing better than the Seymour Duncans. Little mistakes/slopiness in my playing were showing up better with them, while the Duncans seemed to mask the mistakes a little bit.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.