Hey guys i looked at the "ONLY computer thread" and it didnt seem to deal with putting computers together and dealing with specs and stuff it was mostly just "my computers doing this help!!"

Anyways im looking to get a computer for a $1200 including monitor which i can get for $200 so thats $1000 for a tower i want something that is upgradable and will last for a while and be able to do some gaming. i know a little bit about computers but im still confused about some of this stuff.

I found this tower for $800 which i will probably get a new case for it and new videocard.which makes it around $950.

System Overview:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSORS Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 1066MHz 8MB LGA775 CPU

INTEL PROCESSOR COOLING FAN INTEL STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN

SOCKET 775 MOTHERBOARDS Asus P5B-VM SE LGA775 MATX Motherboard

DDR2 RAM DUAL CHANNEL 4GB (4x1GB) DDR-2 667MHZ PC-5400

SATA II HARD DRIVES 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB CACHE (HIGH PERFORMANCE)

DVD-RW DRIVES 20X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE

PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARDS 256MB CHROME VIDEO ACCELERATOR (ONBOARD)

SOUND CARDS 6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

NETWORK CARDS 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet Network Card (onboard)

COMPUTER CASES BCC MID-TOWER ATX W/TEMP CONTROL LCD (BLACK)

POWER SUPPLIES OKIA A-POWER 600 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY

KEYBOARDS 103 Keys PS2 Basic Keyboard (Black)

MICE I-MICRO 800dpi PS/2 Optical Mouse (Black)

SPEAKERS SUPER TALENT 2.0 Channel Multimedia Speaker System (Black)

Software : All driver disks and manuals are included.

DVD & CDRW software also included.

System comes ready to load any OS (Win98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista)

Operating System: Operating system is optional. If you add operating system, we will install and configure it for you.

Condition : All system components are brand new. System is completely assembled and tested.

Warranty 3-Year Limited Warranty w/LifeTime Free Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to run Vista would the quad-core 6600 accept the 64 bit version?

What is a good videocard for $150ish?

Does this setup sound like a good deal?

And is there anything else i should upgrade on it?

Im gonna be using it for everything but mostly multimedia and gaming.

Thanks guys
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
If you want to use it fo gaming, go for one with a more powerful GFX card, otherwise it all looks good =]
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
i know id love to avoid Vista aswell but i thought if i got the 64 bit version it wouldnt slow it down as much and its a family computer and my dad wants to get vista for it forsure
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
really really good computer, not sure about graphcis cards, possibly the 8800 GT i think it is, the lower version of the 8800GTX, but im not sure what the cost is, godly card though, and thas what u need for quad core, 4gb ram pc XD.
PSN: Noverion
If your going to be spending a large amount of money like that, and you also plan to open it and swap cases and such... May i suggest that you buy all the parts seperately and then build one from scratch?

I say this for a few reasons

1. Usually prebuilt computers are more expensive for the larger spec systems
2. The moment you open your system case your warranty is expired. If they are all seporate you get a warranty for each individual part.
3. Sometimes prebuilt comes with adverts and such you dont want, (and in terms of Dell, spyware)
4. Its more fun putting something together yourself, it gives a sense of accomplishment.
^^ya i totally get what you mean by building from scratch and thats what i originally wanted to do but the i saw this deal and i can save so much money on it because ive looked at individual parts and when its added up its around $1500.

and with the warrany these guys have the option of them putting the new parts in for you keeping the warranty

and they dont even have these with an OS when i get it they just install and uninstall XP for testing purposes

And i would way rather put one together myself but with this deal im saving alot of money.
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
150 on a videocard is going to get you a card that cant keep up with the rest of the system. If you are going to spend money like that you better make sure you dont skimp on a crucial part like a videocard. And since it says it comes with onboard video, you wont be getting anywhere with games without buying one anyway. (why is everything listed as plural?)

Looking at the list again, you are gonna want to get a separate sound card as well. Dont wanna run onboard, and have to dedicate system resources for sound.

You also have to be careful with the power supply, if buying a prebuilt PC they will usually throw in a cheap supply to cut costs, and they can fail at any time (personal experience)

Even though it has already been stated, i say you should try to build your own PC (i know i would if i had the extra money right now)
^^how much do you think i should spend on a video card?
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Look into the Nvidia Geforce 8800 series, you dont need to get the $500 one, but in that series would do well. You could always buy 2 decent cards and run them in SLI, that might get you the same performance as a high end card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106791921+1067932704&name=GeForce+8800GT

Look at those.

Edit: you might be able to get away with good results running 2 of these in SLI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186013
Last edited by anti_flag_army at Nov 11, 2007,
I can also get this one for $50 more but im not sure about the video card and if it will perform well and it also has a different motherboard

System Overview:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSORS Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 1066MHz 8MB LGA775 CPU

INTEL PROCESSOR COOLING FAN INTEL STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN

SOCKET 775 MOTHERBOARDS Asus P5B SE LGA775/ Core 2 Duo/ P965/ SATA2/
A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

DDR2 RAM DUAL CHANNEL 4GB (4x1GB) DDR-2 667MHZ PC-5400

SATA II HARD DRIVES 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB CACHE (HIGH PERFORMANCE)

DVD-RW DRIVES 20X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE

PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARDS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card

SOUND CARDS 6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

NETWORK CARDS 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet Network Card (onboard)

COMPUTER CASES BCC MID-TOWER ATX W/TEMP CONTROL LCD (BLACK)

POWER SUPPLIES OKIA A-POWER 600 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY

KEYBOARDS 103 Keys PS2 Basic Keyboard (Black)

MICE I-MICRO 800dpi PS/2 Optical Mouse (Black)

SPEAKERS SUPER TALENT 2.0 Channel Multimedia Speaker System (Black)

Software : All driver disks and manuals are included.
DVD & CDRW software also included.

Windows XP is installed for testing purposes only and then removed prior to shipping.
System comes ready to load any OS (Win98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista)

Operating System: This System does not include an Operating System,

Condition : All system components are brand new. System is completely assembled and tested.

Warranty 3-Year Limited Warranty w/LifeTime Free Technical Support
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
The 8400 is the bottom of the 8 series and runs for about 50 bucks. You dont need 4 gigs of ram BTW, you could save quite a few bucks sticking with 2 gigs. and IF you need 4 later down the road you could add it, but use the money saved now on a video card.

Edit: do you have a link to the site your shopping from?
i know the RAM and Processor are excessive right now but i just want to upgrade in the future without having to buy a new processor.

And also motherboards i dont know **** about them is the 1 on the first spec list good or crap.
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
ya thats another thing the computers on that there isnt an option to only get 2 Gigs of Ram without a Quadcore(Which i definetly want)

sorry for the triple post

and im not a hardcore gamer i just wanna play some games not at a ping rate of 2
its more of an everything machine
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Last edited by Bobsam3 at Nov 11, 2007,
well it looks like this is the MOBO from the first set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131178

And this is the one from the second:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131213

I dont know about buying a prebuilt from some ebay store, i would say look around on www.newegg.com and price your own comp with your own specs. Dont pay for stuff you dont need

edit: and remember with whatever price you get from him you still need to spring for an OS.
Last edited by anti_flag_army at Nov 11, 2007,
^^Do you think these motherboards are any good for this setup?
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
For the graphics card, check out the 8800 GT, fairly affordable and it's apparently really good. If you want to use those extra cores on your CPU you're going to need the 64 bit version of Vista.
Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813131178
Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227139
Videocard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122040
HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152025
Optical drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106073
PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

There, pretty much the same PC (you need to choose a case and OS, and it doesnt have the cheap speakers and keyboard that the one you are looking at would come with) But this only came out to $705 and it has a good videocard. You dont need to spend a lot of money on a case, hell you could build a PC without a case if you wanted to. So with this you have like $300 ish to get a case and os, you will easily have a few bucks left over.
Wow those prices are cheap way better than NCIX

the link for the motherboard doesnt work can you tell me the model and price please.

and thanks for all your help so far man
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
I wouldn't recommend a 64 bit operating system. You're gonna get bit in the ass with program compatibilities. As for the video card, go for a decent Nvidia.
dayum that sounds like a sweet setup i wish i could afford that
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Zycho
I wouldn't recommend a 64 bit operating system. You're gonna get bit in the ass with program compatibilities. As for the video card, go for a decent Nvidia.

Do i have to have 64bit if im using quadcore or can i have vista 32 bit?
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
also another question do i need a fan/heatsink if so which one
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks