I am having a problem and I can't figure it out. I play for a half an hour maybe and then my amp cuts out. If I put it on standby for 10 seconds or so and turn stand by off it gets back up to the volume it was at before, then it eventually will cut out again and I repeat this process until I stop playing. I took it to an amp shop and the guy said he played on it for about 4 hours and he didn't expeirience what I was talking about. He said I might have a problem with my pedals or cords or something else that makes my amp go into protection mode. I have a JCM2000 TSL602 2x12. Is he right? Anyone know of what else could cause this ? Could I have a short in a pedal or my guitar or something? I'm asking because I don't want to have to pay him to mess around with all my gear unless there is no other option. All my gear is in my signiture if anyone knows of problems associated with any of them.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
the tsl602 is a tube amp, i believe... so you may need to retube. otherwise use lots of different cables and guitars and cut out any effects you're using one by one to see if it's possibly a bad stompbox.

retubing would be the last, and i mean LAST, thing i would look at though. the tubes alone with run you around 100 usd, and along with the biasing fee and bench time you'd probably end up spending about 200-250 usd.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Yeah, the guy that tested my amp looked at my tubes and said they were fine. So, now I have no idea what the problem is. He said it would be about $130 to retube it with the tubes and bench fee and labor.
Do you experience the problem when plugging your guitar directly into the amp without using pedals?
Yes. I have two cables (one for guitar -> pedal board and pedal board -> amp) and I tried one and it cut out relativley quickly and then i tried the other one and it lasted at least an hour, probably more, but still did it.

Is it possible for a pedal or guitar to cause an amp to do that? I don't want to test every pedal if that's not even possible.
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Nov 11, 2007,
Go buy a new $20 cable, and plug your guitar straight into your amp, no pedals or anything, try it with seperate guitars and let the amp cool down between guitars.
If it still does it when you do this, you know its your amp.
If not, you know its your pedal board!
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
if standby is fixing the problem, sounds to me like a mild short in one of the power tubes. Next time it happens, look at the power tubes, and see if you notice any glowing brighter or arcing when the volume cuts.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
if standby is fixing the problem, sounds to me like a mild short in one of the power tubes. Next time it happens, look at the power tubes, and see if you notice any glowing brighter or arcing when the volume cuts.

what is arcing?