ive had the same bass and amp for over a year and decided i need new stuff.

for amps im debating between the Line 6 LowDown LD150 Combo, Ampeg BA115 Combo or the Crate BT100
they all seem pretty good but dont know which one would be better.

i was looking at new basses and the ibanez sr400 looks great and had some decent reviews and its affordable

and for effects i found the ibanez sb7 synth bass pedal. seems fun just to mess around and get some cool sounds when necessary.

any comments/advice/opinions on the above would be appreciated

thanks
Last edited by xVandals at Nov 11, 2007,
what set up do you have currently, just curious, to see if the ibanez would warrant a step up

However ampwise, def. go with the Ampeg, the Ampeg sounds way better than crate, in my personal experience, and a little better than the line 6, line 6 makes nice amps but not as nice as ampeg

I would without a doubt go with ampeg

as for effects, if you're not looking for anything specific, and only looking for something to screw around with occasionally, check out a multi effects pedal, such as the Digitech BP 80 really its the best decision if you're not going to seriously need a specific effect, you can get nice effects out of this thing, as long as you learn how to use it, thats the main problem it might take a while to get the effect you want, as the preset ones, except for a few, mostly sound the same
currently i have a ibanez starter kit. i dont know exactly what model. but pretty much anything would be a step up.
have you tried it out yet? I'm sure it would be a step up from your starter kit, but if you're ready to move up to a nicer bass, i would say save up maybe a couple hundred more bucks and get a nicer fender jazz or schecter custom stiletto, as this is a mid range bass, and may leave you wanting more later on, this way you're making a substantial jump, and will not have to upgrade twice

amp wise, if thats all the wattage you need, then the ampeg is top of the line equipment, and the only time you'll need to upgrade from that is if you need more wattage for a gigging situation, i would say get the amp first, as a bad bass can sound good on a good amp, but a good bass usually sounds like crap on a bad amp
theres only one music shop where i live and its a small one. they dont have the new ibanez's in so i cant try it out.

im pretty much stuck going by reviews by other people.

how much do the fender jazz basses cost generally?
the Line 6 is good as a modeling and effects amp, but as a normal amp, the other 2 are better.
See, with Line6, you're not paying for just the amp - you're paying for their software and modelling technology. If you're into modelling, there's simply no substitute at this level. If you couldn't care less, I think your money is better spent on an amp that's "just an amp".
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
hmm im liking the effects of the line 6.. it seems like it would eliminate the need of the synth pedal i want to get
Bass Player and Bass Guitar both said that the Line6's synth sound is one of the best bass synths EVER.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks for that little piece of information kind sir.

ill talk with my bass teacher and see what his opinion is on it
In addition to what they're saying about Line 6's synth...

I've never played the Line 6, but last week I played the Ibanez synth you mentioned, and I wasn't very amused by it. It does have some cool sounding effects, but they sound and feel extremely soft and hollow, and I toyed with pedal/amp/ and bass EQs for like half an hour and couldn't change the overall feel of it.
I'm a pretty big Line 6 fan. They are, as many people will say, more of an amp emulator than their own amps, but they still sound fantastic, their built-in effects are actually pretty good they're affordable, and they're very fun to toy around with. At your price range, I'd highly reccomend the Line 6.
I think you need to ask yourself why you're buying this stuff. It frankly won't do for gigs, maybe small parties will be fine though. I don't see the point in "upgrading" from a small practice amp to a larger practice amp. I'd save the money, practice hard and play as much gear as you can so you have an idea when you really need new stuff of what to get.
The LowDown has a direct out so you could play any size venue with an apropriate PA system in, smb.
Quote by Zycho
The LowDown has a direct out so you could play any size venue with an apropriate PA system in, smb.

So does a Sansamp, and you'd have as much chance of hearing yourself without a monitor.
TS, unless you're a sit at home recording guy, don't touch the Line 6. I've played through both the guitar and bass amps, and I can't bring myself to go digital, it doesn't feel right for me.

Jazz is right about ampegs. The lower end, solid state models aren't all they're cracked up to be.
i was talking w/ my bass teacher and he shoed me an ashdown that looks really nice.
the ashdown mag c115-300

anyone have any experience with it?

and i was looking at basses again and i really like the epiphone eb-3 sg
is it any good?
Quote by xVandals
i was talking w/ my bass teacher and he shoed me an ashdown that looks really nice.
the ashdown mag c115-300

anyone have any experience with it?

and i was looking at basses again and i really like the epiphone eb-3 sg
is it any good?

The Ashdown seems like a pretty good amp, although I've never tried it. What price would you be getting it for?

Stay away from Epiphone basses - they're pretty low quality instruments that you'll regret buying in the long run.

In that price range, I'd recommend the Squier Vintage Modified series - much better than Epiphone, and they're almost as good as a Fender Standard.
its $440 on musiciansfriend.

and theres a lot of good reviews about the epiphone on the internet.. is it really that bad?
i found out my current bass is an ibanez gsr 190. i really like it, just thought i should upgrade. i really like the ibanez necks.

trying to keep it under $500 what would be a decent bass that has a thin neck?