hey im building my first guitar and im kind of a pickup noob. my question is will an emg-81 pickup for my bridge and an emg-60 pickup for my neck pickup work well together?

thanks
it depends, 85 is a little warmer and 81 scream more imo, so for metal i'll go for the 81 in bridge although 85 is more versatile, but that's what the 60 in neck is for. go for it, you wouldn't regret it unless you have a solid state amp
oh ya i forgot to mention im goin for a mostly metal sound, also, how are these for clean sounds?
im pretty sure that combination is what james hetfield uses. Personally I'm weird when it comes to pickup choice, as i use the 85 for my lead work and 81 for rythym. If you can find two guitars in a shop, one with an 85 and one with a 60, then you should compare the characteristics of them side to side, which is better than any advice youll get on UG ESPECIALLY in the Pit.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Yeah, he used the '81 in the neck, and '60 with the bridge....
No matter what pickup you decide to use for the bridge... I'd strongly recommend the '85 or even better, '89 for the neck.
the 85 is too bassy for me. You can say it is a wired dummy pickup, because i don't use it.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
60/81 mix is my preference.

That said, only bother with active pickups at all if you've got a really nice amp. And by that, I don't just mean 'something that's fairly good by garage band standards'. You need someting that's truly gig-worthy before active pickups start to sound good. The quality of your amp is reflected more by active pickups than by passive ones, so unless you've got an amp rig worth a damn, you're better off with passive pickups than actives.
Quote by SamZee
Yeah, he used the '81 in the neck, and '60 with the bridge....
No matter what pickup you decide to use for the bridge... I'd strongly recommend the '85 or even better, '89 for the neck.

Wrong way round, Het uses a 81 in the Bridge and a 60 in the neck.

In the bridge I like the 85 in a bright sounding guitar coz its a little warmer and adds more bottom end but if its in a darker sounding guitar like a les paul, I prefer the 81.

Neck wise I'd always go for a 60 coz there really good for cleans and beautiful for lead stuff. The 60's actually a single coil in a humbucker enclosure that was developed for Fender in the early 80's but they never used it in anything.