Hey guys, I just started a band about 2 months ago and so far its going great. We played covers for a while but just recently started writing our own stuff. We started up a myspace (www.myspace.com/timmydandthemysteriousstrangermusic) and talk about it all the time with people around us. I hear a lot about networking and how its necessary for your band to improve but I don't know what to do. Specifically, I'd like some advice on myspace and ways I could network using it considering i've never used it and all i know is how to friend people.

Note: Im a poor 15 year old so can you keep it cheap?
Search for people in your hometown on Myspace and add them. Then add their friends. And their friends. And so on. You can also add other bands to your page, that way people can easily see what your influences are and what kind of music you're into.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Hand out fliers for your shows/album/myspace outside of a similar band's show. If people are going out to see that band then they'll be interested in going out to shows to see bands like yours.

Get to know other bands and see what you can do together, like shows, cross-promotion, industry contacts, etc. You never know who someone else might know, and what they can do for you (or what you could do for them).

Make friends with the owners of venues and promoters so they'll be up for putting you on a show with an empty spot, and it'll keep you in their mind better than a flashy press kit or demo CD.

Hang out at your local record store (the best ones are usually by colleges and universities, even small ones) and get to know the regulars there, and put up fliers for your shows, myspace, CD or whatever inside; usually they have some kind of deal where you can sell your CDs there.

Get to know the fans of your kind of music. Making a few friends who regularly go to shows of bands similar to yours will most likely have friends that share the same interests, and therefore would enjoy your music. They can help you out with street teaming and show up at your shows. They'll tell 2 friends, and then they'll tell 2 friends, and that's like 10 people right there!
Originally posted by Neon Knight
Ramco i worship you and your awesome comment \m/
The first thing I would do is read my article on Networking: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/intro_to_networking.html

Secondly, I would make sure the link to your myspace works within this page. I clicked on it and it told me "Invalid Friend ID"... now I can't give you indepth advice.

The advice Ramco gave is more for promoting your band. Promoting and Networking are two different things.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by Dutch_Apples
The first thing I would do is read my article on Networking: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/intro_to_networking.html

Secondly, I would make sure the link to your myspace works within this page. I clicked on it and it told me "Invalid Friend ID"... now I can't give you indepth advice.

The advice Ramco gave is more for promoting your band. Promoting and Networking are two different things.

I more or less read from what he said that he wanted to know who to network with, as opposed to just talking about his band to random people. I should've made that clearer.
Originally posted by Neon Knight
Ramco i worship you and your awesome comment \m/