I need to learn about trombones.
what different kinds of trombone are there (similar to tenor, alto, baritone saxophones)

what is standard?

does anyone have a link i can read myself so nobody has to explain everything in a wall of text?

thanks
WOO
The two common ones are Tenor and Baritone. If you want it for ska though, you'd most likely use a Tenor, which is the more common one anyways. Baritone trombone is mostly used in classical music and the like.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Um, I play trombone and I don't even know. I do know that mine is a B flat, and I do believe that it's the most common kind.
It's the tenor. In general, there really is only one type of trombone. The other ones are more specialized. If you were to go into a store and ask for a trombone, they would show you a bunch of tenor trombones.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by llanafreak44
Use one in B flat scale. That's the most common one. Or is that trumpet?

I believe it's both.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Regular trombones are a C instrument, not B flat like trumpets, look for a standard tenor trombone or a bass one if you've got the chops, otherwise if you're just starting, look at tenors.
She was stealing sponges, I knew it!
I played Euphonium in high school, and now that I'm in college I see that the Euphonium is a pointless barely used instrument so I'm switching to Trombone!

The first thing I taught myself was "St. Thomas" by Sonny Rollins.

I wanna join a calypso band!

And Trombones are Bb instruments.

Thats why I can still play all my old Euphonium pieces...
Is it weird that this is in the Punk/Ska forum or is it just me that thinks it is?
Quote by ryanL91
Is it weird that this is in the Punk/Ska forum or is it just me that thinks it is?

Ska has brass in it buddy.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
trombone is a C instrument i believe. that what i'm learning in music class for transposition.

more difficult theory than my actual brade level ftw!
Trombone is definitely a B flat instrument. At least the common ones.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I'd just like to say that flute kicks the trombone's ass 9 out of 10 times.

I'd just like to say that flute isn't a brass instrument, and is not generally found in Ska music.

Doesn't matter how much it kicks trombone's arse.

Go listen to Jethro.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/westaussie/

Quote by StratPat

Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.

Quote by emery01
I'd just like to say that flute isn't a brass instrument, and is not generally found in Ska music.

Doesn't matter how much it kicks trombone's arse.

Go listen to Jethro.

i'd just like to say you're a retard.

emery sucks.

he never called a flute a brass instrument, you ARE allowed to compare instruments last time i checked.

they ARE also both band instruments so still they can be compared in that sense.

and telling him to listen to Jethro Tull, is supposed to be and insult......right???
Quote by original=punk
and telling him to listen to Jethro Tull, is supposed to be and insult......right???

The Tull are one of my favourite bands, why would I be insulted?

It's like telling a skinhead to "go wear doc martens."
Quote by BrianApocalypse
The Tull are one of my favourite bands, why would I be insulted?

It's like telling a skinhead to "go wear doc martens."

exactly! hence the confusion.
Well, since a lot of people seem to be confused about this... The harmonic series of a typical trombone is in B-flat or F with the trigger, but is written in concert pitch. This is unlike treble cleff brass instruments which are written in C but pitched in B-flat or F.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?