Hey are there any tips to make the harmonics on the 3rd and 2nd fret come out higher volume? Yes, I am trying to do Portrait of Tracy . Should I use my active Ibanez rather than my passive dean that I turned fretless? Any tips on maybe EQ for harmonics would be nice .

-Biehayn
Make sure you're hitting the right spots. There are no harmonics on the 2nd or 3rd fret. There are harmonics slightly before and slightly after them.

The way harmonics are, getting an even volume isn't quite possible without compression. However, as far as EQing goes, the harmonics aren't in the treble. They're in the mids/low mids - try a boost from anywhere between 100Hz-650Hz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
they'll come out clearer if you solo your bridge pup and turn up the mids a bunch.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Quote by Barboom
they'll come out clearer if you solo your bridge pup and turn up the mids a bunch.

The bridge pickup is probably the best for getting clear harmonics, but as far as volume, on my Jazz, the harmonics are about the same out of neck/bridge pickups - again, it's an EQ thing.

However, the pickup placement of certain basses actually cancels out certain harmonics. For example, my '51 Precision bass - the pickup is placed in such a way that the harmonic at the 4th/9th/16th does not ring AT ALL. All the other ones do, but when I hit it there, THUD. Crazy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by eaton1012
I use pinch harmonics

this might be true. what you don't do is help the threadstarter at all. Please read the thread before posting in it next time, and then perhaps your reply won't qualify as spam. Thank you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
A few notes on POT:

Pick near the bridge.

Balance between harmonics and normal notes is essential, you'll usually hit the bass notes with your thumb so practice using an extremely soft touch with your thumb and a hard touch when playing harmonics. If you can get the bass notes quieter than the harmonics then you can make them sound balanced as well.

This is most important in the 5/4 groove towards the middle of the song.

I don't change my EQ specifically for this song. I solo the bridge pup, and let technique do the rest of the work. You don't need to boost your high's, if you boost your 8-10 kHz harmonics will come out clearer, but normal notes will also sound a bit too edgy IMO.

A boost around 240 Hz is nice though, more for that Jaco growl.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
yeah, boosted up mids will do the thing. i also use an ibanez and its really hard to get the Fender Jazz Bass tone. so i did was: 2 humbuckers right? i off'd the bridge pick up, bass at 4.5, treble at 2. and the amp 1 for lows 5 for mids and 1 for highs. that did it for me.

im also trying to do PoT, almost done but i can't ring the last harmonic(13th fret) and how do i a clear clear clear clear clear and loud loud loud loud pinch harmonic? cause i also learned "Amerika" by Jaco but i can't perfect the pinch harmonic parts. so yeah please tell me peoplez

PS: even if the bridge pick up is off you pluck there.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Those pinches in Amerika are easy. You need to pinch the string exactly half way between the fret you're fretting and the bridge - i.e. if it was an open string instead of a fretted one, you'd be hitting the 12th fret. It takes some practice to nail, but what doesn't?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Those pinches in Amerika are easy. You need to pinch the string exactly half way between the fret you're fretting and the bridge - i.e. if it was an open string instead of a fretted one, you'd be hitting the 12th fret. It takes some practice to nail, but what doesn't?

thanks, actually i can do it, but i need nails, literally, i need nails on my index finger to pinch it out but if i have nails it affects my tone im really strugling now cause i dont have nails
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
bumo

in what way is this not spam, even if you were trying to say "bump"? Bump is spam, too....
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Just to clarify "pick near the bridge" by TGM, I'd say pluck right over the bridge pup soloed. This should give you extra clarity and volume.

And yeah 4STRINGBOY, that last 13th pinch harmonic is a bitch when you have hands like mine (believe me, I've reached my stretching limit!). And this is only hitting two of the three notes of the chord!
I boost the high mid's for artificial harmonics. I dont know if it's the same for regular harmonics