do thicker gauge strings make it easier to mute strings causing unwanted noise? i have large and pudgy hands, and it's hard for me to mute some strings without accidentally muting the ones i'm playing. i'd also just like to get more tone/sustain and be able to palm mute higher strings without it sounding like crap.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
i have thick arse strings, i didnt notice anything too different, but i didnt really pay attention to that factor
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
the thicker gauge string sustain a little bit better. i have noticed that its a little tougher to palm mute the thicker ones, but they sound a lot better (on a set of duncan distortion), especially if you have a good set of pickups
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
wat gauge do you play on now. try the next gauge up next time you change strings.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
i got the same hand problem, i dont usually mute the higher strings so i guess i wouldnt really understand what ya mean... just practice it and it should be alot more clear
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Yeah, practice is definitely the answer here. Sure, you could change your strings, but then your tone changes, and you're not in control of your sound. Be the one to create your sound, not one to let your sound create you.

Practice how to position your hand and make up some exercises to practice with your hand in the best position. It is doable and something which you can overcome. You just need to teach those hands where to go.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler