What is the difference between these two genres? And can someone give examples of bands from each?

Thanks in advance,
Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of these bands are both. Trippy.

Progressive- Symphony X.
Melodic, I'd say Dimmu Borgir.
Progressive often uses complex time signatures, and incorporate a lot of different styles and genres of playing... Melodic death... I don't know, check the Rec Thread.

EDIT:

Prog metal:

"Progressive metal (often shortened to prog, or prog metal when differentiating from progressive rock) is a genre of metal music which shares traits with progressive rock including use of complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and intricate instrumental playing strongly influenced by 70's progressive rock bands such as Yes, Genesis, and ELP. The high level of musical proficiency is often combined with a lyrical counterpart in the form of epic textual concepts, resulting in lengthy songs and concept albums.

Like folk metal, prog metal is very diverse, possibly the most diverse of the genres listed here. Prog elements are often simply incorporated into the base sound of the band, with Opeth being an example of progressive death metal, Dream Theater being an example of progressive power metal, and Arcturus being an example of progressive black metal etc. Some bands also blend many forms of metal (and non metal) together and simply "progress" between the styles during a typical song, sometimes for comedic effect (See Carnival In Coal)"

Melodic Death Metal:

"Also colloqually known as melodeath, melodic death metal is a slightly less extreme form of death metal that incorporates less intense vocals, combined with guitar work aiming for Iron Maiden-esque melodic harmonies and catchy hooks rather than brutal riffing. Melodic death is generally traced back to three albums: Entombed's 1990 debut, Left Hand Path, Dismember's 1991 release, Like An Everflowing Stream and oddly, grindcore band Carcass's 1994 release Heartwork. These albums featured a distinctive sound that separated them from the field of regular death metal, Jeff Walker's "throaty" vocal style was a departure from the standard gutteral growl, and the unusual "buzzsaw" guitar tone on the Dismember and Entombed releases became synonymous with Scandinavian style death metal.

Ironically, despite Carcass arguably creating the first melodic death metal album, it was released at the wrong time, as in the same year, an unknown Swedish band named In Flames released their debut, Lunar Strain, and one year later in 1995, Dark Tranquillity released their first EP, Of Chaos And Eternal Night, again from Sweden. The new style of metal being played by these bands was labelled "Gothenburg metal", named after the Swedish city of Gothenburg, the city which claimed to have invented this style despite Carcass's input to the sound. These important releases, alongside the pioneering efforts of Entombed and Dismember meant that Carcass's influences were widely discredited, especially as previously Carcass had been a straight up grindcore band.

Since then, melodic death has exploded into a large scene, gaining popularity all over Europe, and even reaching as far as America with bands like The Black Dahlia Murder attaining high levels of popularity. Melodic death is now one of the more mainstream forms of extreme metal, with big bands like In Flames and Children of Bodom pulling huge crowds and getting good amounts of coverage on MTV and in guitar player magazines. Despite this, the grass roots of melodeath are still strong, with underground bands gaining respect amongst their peers regardless of the sometimes negative connotations associated playing a style popularised by In Flames, who's standing has waned amongst metal fans after their music has moved further and further away from melodic death over time."
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Nov 11, 2007,
i cant really explain the difference but i would say scar symmetry or dream theatre for prog and soilwork or in flames for melodic
Guitars
-ibanez apex
-fender fat strat

Amps
-fender frontman 15g
-roland cube 15

Effects
-dime siginature crybaby from hell

Quote by bobthemonkey14
But carpal tunnel is the best tunnel there is...
I personally find the term "melodic death metal" is a farce... I mean honestly how can Death Metal be described melodic... Its the least melodic genre known to man basically....
From what I gather

Prog death metal-Opeth
"Melodic" death metal- Arch Enemy
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Ok, since so far MOST people havent a clue.

Progressive Metal is metal that incorparates lots of different elements, such as jazz into a metal spectrum. It also focus's on lots of random time signature changes, extreme technicality and often, long structures.

Melodic death metal is by nature, death metal that has more focus on melody and harmony.

Still confused? Go to the rec thread.

Quote by sheumack111
I personally find the term "melodic death metal" is a farce... I mean honestly how can Death Metal be described melodic... Its the least melodic genre known to man basically....
From what I gather

Prog death metal-Opeth
"Melodic" death metal- Arch Enemy

You're a fuckwit, you have no clue what you are talking about. Go away now.
Progressive Metal
Dream Theater
Anathema
Metallica(early days with cliff had some progressive attributes)
Symphony X
Queensryche(some progressive elements)
Liquid Tension Experiment
Tool

Melodeath
Dimmu Borgir
Children of Bodom
(all I know of melodeath, i don't listen to much of it)
proggressive- Dream Theater, Symphony X

melodic death- Necrophagist

edit.
I guess Necrophagist is "technical death metal". Blah. Just goes to show you how much I know about genres.
Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.
Last edited by RC_Hammer at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by sheumack111

Your point actually describes why it's called "melodic death metal." It's death metal still, but too melodic to be considered straight-up death metal, so they add the "melodic" tag.

@ the threadstarter-Are you asking about the differences between melodic death and progressive death, or melodic death and plain ol' progressive metal? Melodic death would be stuff like Dark Tranquillity or Soilwork, progressive death would be Opeth or Edge of Sanity, progressive not-death metal would be Dream Theater or Vanden Plas.
Really progressive is by definition anything that doesn't follow the norm in terms of structure. Many prog bands like to incorporate other genres into their sound, compose difficult sections, deviate from using 4/4 all the time, and attempt to make very unique sounding riffs that aren't just major or minor, so all these things generally get associated with and in turn define prog. But simply, it's using unconvential song structure.

Melodic death - refer to In Flames - Jester Race, Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery, and At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by Magero

Progressive Metal is metal that incorparates lots of different elements, such as jazz into a metal spectrum. It also focus's on lots of random time signature changes, extreme technicality and often, long structures.

And that's what I love about it

Also, what I don't get is Opeth being labeled as Death metal. They're more progressive than death to me (don't reall see any death elements besides the death growl)
If we are all god's children, what makes Jesus so damn special?
Quote by recklessnick
i read a magazine that says between the buried and me progressive death metal. is it true?

Meh, progressive metalcore, most people say. Awesome band though.

Quote by TheNERD250
And that's what I love about it

Also, what I don't get is Opeth being labeled as Death metal. They're more progressive than death to me (don't reall see any death elements besides the death growl)

Where are they labeled as death metal?
Quote by recklessnick
i read a magazine that says between the buried and me progressive death metal. is it true?

They do have influences from those genres, but I'm pretty sure their genre is Badass.
Quote by recklessnick

pretty much yeah

But, for melodic I'd say Kalmah or Noumena

for prog...opeth or DT. Or BTBAM in some songs

actually a lot of their new album "Colors"
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by Magero

Melodic death metal is by nature, death metal that has more focus on melody and harmony.

Only decent post in this thread so far, seriously. (aside from Scourges)

Progressive bands : Opeth, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend Band, also Gojira and Amoral depending on what you consider the benchmark to be of Progressive.

Melodic Death bands : Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Insomnium, Quo Vadis.