Hey guys

im looking for a new set of pickups for my gibson sg.

i have heard that emg pickups are the way to go for metal. ( what i play)
I want to get that thick palm mute out and get those ripping harmonics sqealed out!

Ive been playing for a little over 4 years. ANd its still kinda sad that i have no idea about pickups!

but i admit i know that they pick up sound from the guitar and i have humbuckers

THATS ALL I KNOW!!

so background information on pickups, which metal pickups to buy, and stuff like that would be greatly appriciated.

and please in advance, if you have a suggestion... back it up with some facts!!!!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
First of all...what amp do you have?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you are plugged into a crappy amp, (Such as the Line 6 Spider series) then pickups are useless. It's like putting a condom on for protection, but the woman is missing a vuh jay jay. (Or her pooper)

.. Anyways. Since you say you like metal, I would check out EMGs, heck maybe even seymour duncans.
i play on a crap amp but im getting a whole new setup for xmas which includes

a mesa boogie mark IV and posssibly a new guitar like a schecter
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
hahahaha im gunna keep that analogy for the future
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
If you don't mind ordering them from UK though, seriously look at Bareknuckle Pickups...they may be fairly expensive but they're worth every penny.
EMG's are strictly for Metal and you'll have to sacrifice getting some nice cleans. They will give you that chunky palm muting sound you're looking for [with a good amp]. Bareknuckle's are also good for Metal [or so I read from many other UG users] but are costly. Seymours are good too and versatile.
thanks guys,

UK dude ile definetly look into those pickups. but the only thing would be getting them over here cheaply and finding someone who can put them in the guitar for me at a decent price.

hmm punker that kinda sucks bc my band plays a few completly blues bridges and breaks in our songs . But dont you think a mesa boogie mark IV's clean tones would compensate for the uncleanlyness ( yea thats not a word) of the emg's?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
You should settle on the EMG's if you really want that chunky tone and don't mind not receiving the best cleans out of them [or changing batteries]. I'm thinking that the Mark IV might compensate.
I've never particularly liked EMG's tbh so anything I say will be biased against them lol.

I don't particularly like active pickups apart from on basses anyway.

There are a few US dealers of Bareknuckle Pickups on the website...should be a dealers section anyway. I have the Nailbomb custom engraved set on my Epiphone Elitist Les Paul *or whatever it's called haha* and it has made it sound incredible...admittedly I play through a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade half-stack, but they really drive the amp nicely.

And I play in a metal band in case you were wondering so they are easily capable of crushing distortion mwahaha
okay awasome i think im gunna go with that.

im looking for a good cab with the mark IV head, and i found a orange ppc 412, its 240 watts the mark IV head only puts out 85 watts. is that like bad?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by last_biscuit
I've never particularly liked EMG's tbh so anything I say will be biased against them lol.

I don't particularly like active pickups apart from on basses anyway.

I'm not very fond of EMG's myself . I was just suggesting because he wanted that particular tone and I figured they were more easily accessible than Bareknuckle pickups and it could save him some money.
I wouldn't say it's bad...ideally all you really need is for the cab rating to be equal to or higher than the output of the head. As long as you're under, I think you're ok.

The Orange cab would certainly sound great anyway, they've got a good low end and sound top notch...only thing is they usually weigh a ton and are quite big!
sorry for double post

im gunna try to run into a guitar with the bareknuckle pickups in it and see how it sounds. These unknown things from across the ocean sparked a like in me=)
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by punker_7970
I'm not very fond of EMG's myself . I was just suggesting because he wanted that particular tone and I figured they were more easily accessible than Bareknuckle pickups and it could save him some money.

Oh I know haha, don't worry I wasn't overriding what you said at all.
It was just my opinion that if he could afford it, the Bareknuckles do the job better and without the hassle of the batteries.

Each to their own
i mean orange puts fricken twelve inch celestion speakers, they dont get much better.

My dad was a weightlifter and he and his brother were under the world record bench pressing record by four pounds, they used to carry refridgerators around the block to stay in shape, so weight wont make or break me=P

well my dad..
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
ilovemySG

If you live in California you could propably find a String Instrument Services store. Those places carry Barenuckle pickups and install them for you so you might not have to order them from the UK afterall.
i wish i lived in cali, i love it out there. Im on the other end in NJ. But we have guitar center, ile have to check if they have them because you said the dont run on batteries?! Godsent!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by last_biscuit
Oh I know haha, don't worry I wasn't overriding what you said at all.
It was just my opinion that if he could afford it, the Bareknuckles do the job better and without the hassle of the batteries.

Each to their own

+1 and no offense taken.
o wow thats pretty cool! can you put like tones from a pod onto that? and wouldnt you lose quality through the computer to the pod to the amp? Because its all electrical sounds. So you go from a electric sound to a high quality tube amp.

thats a pretty interesting set hm...
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
o wow thats pretty cool! can you put like tones from a pod onto that? and wouldnt you lose quality through the computer to the pod to the amp? Because its all electrical sounds. So you go from a electric sound to a high quality tube amp.

thats a pretty interesting set hm...

Essentially, I can run anything with a MIDI in and out on it through the amp

I can use a rackmount processor with MIDI controls, going in to a sequencer to switch stuff on and off for the amp, and then have the separate effects loop for other expression based pedals, and then have a wireless system going straight into the amps main input, and I have any sound I want or need haha.

It's a great amp, but it doesn't have a phaser and the flanger isn't too great. Other than that I can't fault it.
Quote by bewareofwario34
If you are plugged into a crappy amp, (Such as the Line 6 Spider series) then pickups are useless. It's like putting a condom on for protection, but the woman is missing a vuh jay jay. (Or her pooper)

I like your style.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
There are several boutique pickup makers in the US, check out Stephen Design (AKA the real SD). They'll be cheaper than Bareknuckles, because of overseas shipping and exchange rates, but they sound just as awesome.

I'm not a big fan of actives either. When you can get passives that sound as good or better, and you don't have the hassle of changing batteries, actives kind of lose their appeal.

PinkEdit: Matrixclaw has an avatar
dude, if you're seriously interested in harmonics squeals, i'd say go for Seymour Duncan's blackouts or the livewire metal. i've got the livewire metal and the harmonics are damned ripping.
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.