im working on the hanger 18 mustaine guitar solos and the trouble im running isn't the usual one of not being familar enough with the song to play it up to speed. my problem is even if i was playing a single note i can't pick that fast even if i played it my fastest it wouldn't be fast enoungh unless i anchored which i refuse to do. whats a good way to get up to speed for it?
anchor

lol. but seriously, if you dont like anchoring just do it for that one part. the only other way is the thing you were hoping you wouldnt hear...play it slowly and practice practice practice
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
utter refusal to anchor. if i anchor for that it wouldn't be in the regulare sence with the pinky sticking out my palm would be resting on the lower strings as if i was palm muting. which i still think is probably bad. the problem with starting slow and speeding up is ill just hit my max which isn't quite high enough, or do i stand a chance of increasing my max via this
Quote by charliec364
utter refusal to anchor. if i anchor for that it wouldn't be in the regulare sence with the pinky sticking out my palm would be resting on the lower strings as if i was palm muting. which i still think is probably bad. the problem with starting slow and speeding up is ill just hit my max which isn't quite high enough, or do i stand a chance of increasing my max via this

That's not necessarily bad. It's a good thing to mute the strings you aren't using.

And yes, starting slow and speeding up is a good way to increase max speed.
You have a max speed because there is a flaw in your technique. Playing slow and analysing yourself lets you see your weaknesses. Eliminate them and you get faster.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
ill give it a look but honestly if that was the case everyone would be able to play at any speed they chose to, i have never really had a reason to play as fast as this solo so ill examine my technique to see. I grab the pick apporitly high up and pick using my wrist not my arm, i think it would help if i had a fresh sharp jazz 2 pick
anyone can give you the skinny on how to hold the pick, which wrist motion is best, etc, but in all reality, you'll only get better through playing more - practicing correctly and really analyzing your playing is the most efficient way to increase speed without creating excess tension and roadblocks along the way
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.