I've been invited to join into a local guitar-off comp. It's a 2 minute solo, with drums, bass and rhythm guitar.

My question is, are there and good tricks that I can do while soloing, and by tricks, I mean stuff like where you mute the neck with your left hand and do tapping, etc...

Any suggestions?
Cram some theory and do improv?
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
I don't need stuff like that, basically stuff to showoff. I'm fine with scales, etc, I just need stuff to get a good score in the show off category.

Thanks for your help though.
Quote by BGSM
I don't need stuff like that, basically stuff to showoff. I'm fine with scales, etc, I just need stuff to get a good score in the show off category.

Thanks for your help though.

Whammy bar tricks?

Do the steve vai thing, if you can learn it
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Yeah, use a guitar with a floating trem to really add to your bag of tricks.
Another cool thing is to make whole riffs and licks using natural harmonics.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Switch hands, do Satch's legato arpeggios, a load of 2 handed 6-8 finger tapping. People eat that up.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
mute the neck with your left hand and do tapping, play behind your head, play with your teeth, set it on fire.

So this is just a show-off comp?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Woo, thanks. My guitar doesn't have a floating bridge, unfortunately (see my profile pic).

So far I've got:

NH riffs / licks
Hand switching
Satriani's Legato
2 handed tapping
Left hand muting and tapping
Teeth (can't do, tried before - I don't have buck teeth)
Behind head

I can play Midnight well, I'll try to do a bit of that stuff somewhere. Guess that comes under 2 handed tapping.

It's not a show off competition, but everyone just uses tricks. There's a judging panel, and one person just judges it on how well the person shows off (not really shows off, but cool tricks).

Any more suggestions? :P
Last edited by BGSM at Nov 12, 2007,
Set your guitar on fire
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Whatever you do, make that it does not only look awesome, but that it also sounds awesome.
Definately - for example, I am not going to set my guitar on fire, because it doesn't sound awesome, I'd get in trouble, and I like my guitar.
Haha, setting it on fire could be fun though~!!

One thing is your phrasing. Don't just throw 'tricks' together and hope for the best. Write a solo which has meaning and emotion. Write it like you would a story. Or you might already be doing this. Either way, good luck!
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Instead of learning songs for now, I'm just going to be practising licks with a metronome, and try and get all my legato stuff down.
Metallica or Eruption by Van Halen + improv tapping + playing over the top + whammy bar dive bombs = epic win.