14 year old kid who’s going to ask relatives for a nice amp this Christmas. You know the drill. I've read through more than a few posts and would like to ask for an opinion.

Music types:
Heavy rock (Gn’R, Zeppelin, AC/DC)
Metal (Metallica, Megadeth, does Van Halen count as metal today?, none of this dragonforce stuff)
Punk (Rise Against, NOFX)
Ska (Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto)

(The deal with the last two is, I’m going back and forth (harr harr) between two bands that want me to listen to different type stuff. Long story short, I need good cleans.)

Band Members’ Gear:
Guitarist—Dean Cadillac on a Marshall valvestate 100w head (basically avt) on a $250 400w Behringer 4x12 cab and a boss gt-8 for effects (I know…I’ve been trying to tell him.)
Bassist—Fender P on a Crate 1x15 50w ss thing (I’ve been trying to tell him too.)
Other guitarist (two bands, remember?)—Epi LP on a 1x12 Peavey, not sure on wattage.
Drummer—Okay, there’s a thing you have to understand here. Our drummer is #2 in the state, and that also means that this mf does not want to compromise volume at all.

As of right now, I have a Gibson SG Standard (spoiled rich kid? prolly) and an MG30 (lack of research=bad? definitely). We plan to gig next month at a small venue, probably a talent show or a donation-type dealio.

Budget: $700 total would be nice, $800 wouldn’t be as nice
Wattage: I’m thinking around 30w-40w tube, right? I don’t want to (severely) outdo the 100w ss halfstack guitarist, and I want to drive it. Also see description of drummer.
Form factor: I’m going to assume that combo is the way to go. If someone recommends a head, I’ll need a cab recommendation too.
Other thoughts: I’m not going to get another amp for at least another 4 years, so I plan on taking this thing to college without durability issues. I try to stay away from ebay, but if necessary I can go that far.
Possibilities: Peavey Classic 30, Vox Valvetronix 100w 2x12 (being that it’s not tube), other?

Pretty sure I’ve covered everything. Side note, any recommendations as to recording a guitar on a budget? I was thinking of getting a 1/4” to 3.5mm cord and running it through line out. I have a nice sound card (creative x-fi) that I’d like to take advantage of.

Thanks for any responses.
--monster
Last edited by monstercometh at Nov 12, 2007,
Well, I think the Classic 30/50 would suit you quite nicely, grab an OD and it should cover all your sounds with no problem. The Vox is good, but nothing compared to the Classic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get the peavey classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by which ones pink
How about a used Mesa F-30/50? The classic 30 won't do metal without a good boost, and the Vox is still a modeler, even if it's one of the better ones.

Gah I dunno why I didn't think of that since that's one of the amps I always suggest. That could work also.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Bloody hell - that was a well written thread! You covered everything except what colour tolex you'd like on it...

Anyway as long as your metal doesn't go much heavier than Metallica/Megadeth you'll manage fine with the oft-recommended 'Classic 30+Bad Monkey' combo. For medium/heavy styles B-52 amps also seem to be pretty well recieved, although I can't offer an opinion as they're not readily available over here. For someone in the UK I'd perhaps suggest a Laney, but over the pond their nearest equivalent seems to be the Crate Palomino series - check them out too and see what you think.

And yes, a 30W-50W combo is pretty much what you need, nice to see someone actually reading a few similar threads before asking a question!
There's nothing wrong with buying used though - amps will go years without requiring anything other than the occasional change of power valves. If you have a look round eBay you'll find some great stuff going cheap...
I took a shower and came back to see 5 replies. Bomb!

Kyle: Thanks. I can barely stand the threads on this forum that go something to the extent of "MG100DFX any gud? if not i need @least 100w". All aboard the failboat!

I think I'm leaning toward the aforementioned classic 30/50+bad monkey, though if anyone else has any other opinions feel free to voice them...

Thanks a ton for the responses everyone, I really appreciate em. And so I end my post with a (paraphrased) conversation I had with one of our guitarists a while back..

Me: I'm thinking of getting a combo. What do you think?
Guitarist: It wouldn't be loud enough for my half stack.
Me: A 30w 1x12 could probably keep up with your half stack..
Guitarist: Well, have fun with the chicks when they see your cute 1x12 next to my beastly 4x12.
Me: ...LOL FAILBOAT!
Guitarist: What?
Me: Nevermind.

--monster
Quote by monstercometh
Me: I'm thinking of getting a combo. What do you think?
Guitarist: It wouldn't be loud enough for my half stack.
Me: A 30w 1x12 could probably keep up with your half stack..
Guitarist: Well, have fun with the chicks when they see your cute 1x12 next to my beastly 4x12.
Me: ...LOL FAILBOAT!
Guitarist: What?
Me: Nevermind.

--monster

lol, any girl who likes a guy because of a 4x12 is an idiot and you don't want them anyway!

He won't be laughing when your little 1x12 completely destroys his "beastly 4x12."
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
lol, any girl who likes a guy because of a 4x12 is an idiot and you don't want them anyway!

He won't be laughing when your little 1x12 completely destroys his "beastly 4x12."

he wont be laughing when he blows his amp trying to keep up.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
I just checked ebay, & there's several Classic 30s under $300 right now. Don't give up on ebay. Just buy from sellers with lots of positive feedback, & use Paypal. No wire transfers.
Good luck!
Edit: But if you've got $700, I'd probably look at Mesas on ebay.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Nov 12, 2007,
you know, if you're not afraid of the size, check out a 212 combo like the valveking or the b-52. great for hard rock/metal tone, despite the unreasonably negative reviews here and LOTS of volume if you need it. They're not mesa's, but they'll take you far enough. Peavey's always do.

Oh and count on your band mate to be a dick about sound and volume. Guys who think stacks are the end-all amp solution are usually like that. But the fine folks on this forum know better, right?
I much prefer the sound of the Flextone to the Vox, but go test them in person.
The Peavey Classics are a solid choice. Check out Traynor's YCV 40 and 50, too. If you're wiliing to buy used, a Mesa F series amp would kick serious ass (and leave your other guitarist wimpering in the corner like a little girl).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
. If you're wiliing to buy used, a Mesa F series amp would kick serious ass
Hell yeah.

That's why they seem to be recommended for pretty much everything on here - they're the ulitmate workhorse amp! And it'd make your mate's Valvestate look like a kids' toy. Also look into the Dual Calibers, which I really like - although the majority of people go for the F series.