This is probably going to sound like a dumb question to most of you, but I recently purchased a Jackson RR Ivory w/ gold hardware. The guitar has 2 Seymour Duncan JB pickups. I'm usually an EMG kinda guy, and these pickups are different than what I'm used to. I'm wondering what the tonal differences will be when I raise/lower the pole pieces in the Duncan pickups. Does it make that individual string louder, does it give it more treble bit the higher it's raised, or give it more low end the lower it's raised? Any help/advice is appreciated=)
Quote by ibanezluvr
You pretty much answered your own question, if you put them to high though they can affect string pull and can make your tone muddy.

Exactly.

The pole peices are designed to affect the magnetic field the pickups give off. They are designed to affect individual strings more.

If you raise one then the string still will be pulled towards it more, therefore reducing how much it vibrates when you pluck it. This will give you a more muddy tone, whereas if you lowered the polepeice, it'll reduce the magnetic pull, let the string ring out more, and sound brighter.

However, the downfall is, if the polepeice / pickup is too close to the string, it'll reduce your sustain. If you have it too far away from the string, you'll loose the quality of the signal.
Been away, am back
They were used for balance issues. If you have one string thats quieter than other you could raise that pole. Or to compensate for the radius of the strings. Most of the time you will never need to mess with em.
Quote by Tackleberry
They were used for balance issues. If you have one string thats quieter than other you could raise that pole. Or to compensate for the radius of the strings. Most of the time you will never need to mess with em.

You don't need to, but if you fine-tune them, you could find your own tone that nobody else will have. As long as you can remember where it was initially, there is no harm in experimenting. Get yourself a good 6" steel rule measured in 64ths, and just move them around.