Hey guys, I'm wondering about how to overcome a couple of flaws in my guitar setup right now. At the moment, I'm running a Strat with EMG 81b/85n into an Ibanez WD-7, Fulltone OCD, and Boss Tuner, into my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 combo. My Dunlop DC brick powers all my pedals, I don't think that really matters though, but just in case.

Anyway, so my first problem has to do with adding a chorus effect to my clean tone. I love the sound of clean chorus so I kind of want to be able to constantly have that effect on my clean tone. Now, my amp has two channels, and an effects loop, but I don't think it's assignable. Is there any way to leave a chorus effect on my clean tone without having to step on the chorus and channel switching/OCD pedals simultaneously when switching to either a mid gain or high gain setting?

My next problem has to do with a noise gate. Suprisingly, the second channel on my amp which is almost maxed out on the gain knob, hardly produces any annoying buzz. I think it may have to do with that being gain from the amp and not from a stompbox. It's actually when I kick in my Fulltone OCD (which I use for more classic rock/bluesy type stuff), that I get loads of buzz. Is there any way that I could leave a gate on my Fulltone without having to again, tapdance, when I want to switch over to my high gain, or my clean tone?

Thanks in advance, please tell me if I need to clarify something more, I know it sounds kinda complicated. :p
You would have to be pretty good with soldering. You'd have to assign multiple pedals to one switch. I don't think it's really worth it, just keep effects you use close to each other, so you can step on both at the same time. Or, rig a wood block or something that's connected to both switches. Step on block, hits both buttons in.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
the chorus problem 'can' be solved with building a true bypass looper (not really bypassing in this case) with one side having the OCD + other dirty pedals in the loop, other side having clean channel pedals in the loop. it shouldn't be more than $40.

the noise gate, i'd say just turn down the volume/gain on ur OCD. it may be because you're running EMGs into it, with loads of output from the active preamp. distortion pedals amplify hum, so you'd be stuck with it without a noise gate. why can't u use the noise gate for everything tho?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
the chorus problem 'can' be solved with building a true bypass looper (not really bypassing in this case) with one side having the OCD + other dirty pedals in the loop, other side having clean channel pedals in the loop. it shouldn't be more than $40.

the noise gate, i'd say just turn down the volume/gain on ur OCD. it may be because you're running EMGs into it, with loads of output from the active preamp. distortion pedals amplify hum, so you'd be stuck with it without a noise gate. why can't u use the noise gate for everything tho?

I'm reluctant about having a gate on the clean channel because I've heard it cuts off your playing dynamics a lot more noticeably. Not sure if thats completely true though...

About that true bypass looper... the way I have my setup right now, I kind of have three different settings going on: My clean channel, which is channel one on my amp, my high gain channel, which is channel 2, and my lower gain, more mids, classic rock type sound, which is from the OCD. Would a true bypass looper be able to solve my problem with that, and also, would I have to build it myself? I'm not too good at that kind of stuff.
EC's suggestions seem better and less ghetto rigged than mine. Listen to him.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
in this case, the wood sounds better as an idea.

if u don't want to mod out ur amp (like i want to right now), or build stuff, then get some thick piece of wood that u can stomp on.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest

+1 on the A/B box for dirty and clean. the problem is he'd still have to hit two switches (channel, A/B box.) unless you're talking about putting the box AFTER the chorus (which is on all the time..?) and looping the distortion effects in the stomp box.

The noise is coming from the pedal or it's settings I'd assume. EMGs are relatively silent when installed properly. the 81's can be a LOT of signal to input into a preamp pedal, especially if the gain is cranked on the pedal AND the amp. Just try turning the gain down and see what happens.

EDIT:

There are also loopers out there with more than 2 loops. You could use an A/B/Y box or something similar. They're boutique though, and usually a bit more than standard pedals like BOSS.

He's right about the gate cutting some of the dynamics out of your playing. It happens especially with decaying effects like reverb. You either have to have a very nice gate set very well or none at all, unfortunately. A noise gate for the distortion channel however is good when used mildly.

Also, doesn't the BOSS noise gate have a loop in it as well?
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Nov 12, 2007,
Anyone know anything about that EHX Hum Debugger? It says its not a gate or a supressor... also says something having to use an EHX adapter and only an EHX adapter. Are those any good?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
+1 on the A/B box for dirty and clean. the problem is he'd still have to hit two switches (channel, A/B box.) unless you're talking about putting the box AFTER the chorus (which is on all the time..?) and looping the distortion effects in the stomp box.

The noise is coming from the pedal or it's settings I'd assume. EMGs are relatively silent when installed properly. the 81's can be a LOT of signal to input into a preamp pedal, especially if the gain is cranked on the pedal AND the amp. Just try turning the gain down and see what happens.

I have a couple of questions... are A/B boxes and the true bypass loopers that EC mentioned the same thing? Also, how would I set it up so that theres chorus on channel one, yet no chorus on the OCD and channel 2?
^it is... to some extent. but A/B boxes are generally one in, two out, but then the looper i mentioned is one in, one out, with two modes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by JoeBender
Anyone know anything about that EHX Hum Debugger? It says its not a gate or a supressor... also says something having to use an EHX adapter and only an EHX adapter. Are those any good?

I've never used them but honestly for removing hum and hiss from your signal the ONLY option is the ISP Decimator. It's a great little box. Expensive, but amazing.

I'd try to adjust your settings before you bought anything. If you're going EMG > OCD > Clean channel for a medium gain tone, try turning down the gain on your pedal. EMG pickups are very VERY hot, I can usually get a medium gain tone (early maiden, classic rock, etc) out of my clean channel w/ the gain cranked and my EMG pickups.
Would the fact that I have my Fulltone running at 18v have anything to do with it? Maybe I'll try plugging it in at 9v?
lol wtf. is it supposed to have 18v running into it???

running hotter voltage will introduce more gain (i think), and if so, amplifies more hum.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
lol wtf. is it supposed to have 18v running into it???

running hotter voltage will introduce more gain (i think), and if so, amplifies more hum.

Yeah it can do both. Sounds like I don't really need it running at 18v so I'll fix that.

I guess the main problem right now is the whole chorus thing. So would either the A/B or looper thing be a good solution to that?
Are you sure the FX loop isnt footswitchable?
Id probably go for an A/B box too. But I wouldnt reccomend the Boss ones.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
wouldnt a midi footswitch work? assign differnt stops for each thing? even the channels?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals