Looks cool, sounds like balls.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Hadeed
very hard, very expensive, and u need an electronic engineering degree.

Not super hard or ridiculously expensive. From my discussions with a mate who's really into Telsa coil building (he actually showed me a clip of a stereo version of Super Mario Theme, click here), you just need to modulate the audio frequencies from your guitar into a MIDI source, into something that can drive the SS circuitry. From another webpage
Quote by Another Webpage
Basically the signal is sent through a filter which turns a switch on or off every time the wave crosses zero ( think of a sine wave). So a 44 KHz signal would cause the tesla coil to switch on and off 44 thousand times a second. I saw a video of this a while back, and that seemed to be the gist of how it worked.

Keep in mind you're playing with 17kV+, which is going to make short (gettit?) work of your heart if you happen to get zapped (which is fairly likely if you don't know what you're doing).

Oh, I've got a Diploma in Electrical Engineering and we've learnt none of this
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Keep in mind you're playing with 17kV+, which is going to make short (gettit?) work of your heart if you happen to get zapped (which is fairly likely if you don't know what you're doing).

Really? As far as I'm aware, Tesla Coils deal with extremely high frequencies, and the current tends to pass over the surface of things (people included) rather than go through them, making them somewhat less dangerous (assuming that the current is low, that is). Might be wrong of course, you're the one with the diploma after all. Certainly wouldn't like to test it out
Quote by even_flow
Really? As far as I'm aware, Tesla Coils deal with extremely high frequencies, and the current tends to pass over the surface of things (people included) rather than go through them, making them somewhat less dangerous (assuming that the current is low, that is). Might be wrong of course, you're the one with the diploma after all. Certainly wouldn't like to test it out

You're right, current does like to travel down the surface of things. It doesn't take a lot of current at all to disturb your heart beat though, if you don't get medical attention quickly you'll most likely die. However, I was more talking about if you should somehow happen to come in contact with the transformer, rather than the sparks themselves. I've seen pictures of what happened to a guy who touched a live cable somewhere in the realms of 12kV and let me tell you, it's not something that I'd ever want to be near - the sight of burnt flesh isn't particularly pretty.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
You're right, current does like to travel down the surface of things. It doesn't take a lot of current at all to disturb your heart beat though, if you don't get medical attention quickly you'll most likely die. However, I was more talking about if you should somehow happen to come in contact with the transformer, rather than the sparks themselves. I've seen pictures of what happened to a guy who touched a live cable somewhere in the realms of 12kV and let me tell you, it's not something that I'd ever want to be near - the sight of burnt flesh isn't particularly pretty.

Ahhhh, I see what you mean. My mistake!