Hey guys I am new here and am starting to learn tremolo picking and sweep picking because I am getting a new amp soon like in a month or 2 and was wanting to break it in good. I have allot of experience with rhythm as lamb of god is my fav band so you can see the relation. But now I really want to learn how to shred and thought tremolo picking and sweep picking would be a good place to start so any tips and opinions would be great thanks.
For tremolo picking, you want a loose wrist and a tight grip on the pick.

For sweep picking, you are going to have to start incredibly slow and build up. Trust me, it takes aaaaaaaages. Longer than tremolo picking, alternate picking, economy picking, anything really.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
sweep picking will take forever, but the upside is that its basically the same technique for each sweep, so you will take ages to master the technique, but then it wont take that much practice to get a particular sweep downpat.tremolo picking: as mentioned above, loose wrist and tight grip on the pick.i also flex the muscles in my arm to get it going that little bit faster.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
^ Some people find it useful to hold the pick quite lightly when shredding. It's all down to personal preference.

Alot of people on here have found plenty of good advice within the John Petrucci Rock Disciple DVD, so that might be worth checking out.

As for sweeping, it's important to remember:

- Make sure your right hand makes a smooth sweeping motion over the strings.
- Make sure you mute the strings you aren't playing. This means your left hand should only be touching the string you're playing at any given time.
- Remember to "roll" the fingers on your left hand if for instance you're playing 2 notes on the 7th fret in a row.
- TAKE IT SLOW.
- Practise going up aswell as down.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Here is what you do: you buy a JEM and your skills will automatically increase tenfold. Or so thinks every other punk kid who walks into Sam Ash.

But seriously, follow the advice of the others. For sweeping, start off with small, 3-string sweeps, then move on to basic 5 string sweeps, then work on more complex ones. Eventually try to integrate other skills into your sweeping, like throw in some hammer-ons and pull offs in the middle of them.

My suggestion for all around lead playing is grab the book Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina. It teaches you all the skills you need to shred like crazy.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Here is what you do: you buy a JEM and your skills will automatically increase tenfold. Or so thinks every other punk kid who walks into Sam Ash.

But seriously, follow the advice of the others. For sweeping, start off with small, 3-string sweeps, then move on to basic 5 string sweeps, then work on more complex ones. Eventually try to integrate other skills into your sweeping, like throw in some hammer-ons and pull offs in the middle of them.

My suggestion for all around lead playing is grab the book Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina. It teaches you all the skills you need to shred like crazy.

That is a very good book, although I find Paul Gilbert's instructional videos to be even better.

However, neither Speed Mechanics, nor Gilbert's work, really covers sweeping in depth. They both talk about it a little, but it doesn't go much further than the absolute basics.

You might want to check out Frank Gambale's lessons for that.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I've never found much use in instructional videos. Most of the ones I've tried back when I was still learning the ropes went too fast, and it was a pain to sit there with my guitar and a remote trying to figure out where they were at. IMO a book is better because you can go at your own pace.

I haven't picked up that book in a while. It's still sitting in my guitar case. But as far as I remember it did teach a little more than basic sweeps.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
I've never found much use in instructional videos. Most of the ones I've tried back when I was still learning the ropes went too fast, and it was a pain to sit there with my guitar and a remote trying to figure out where they were at. IMO a book is better because you can go at your own pace.

I haven't picked up that book in a while. It's still sitting in my guitar case. But as far as I remember it did teach a little more than basic sweeps.

Well, it goes very quickly from basics to one really big sweep.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
for learning sweep picking, just mentally prepare yourself that its going to take at least 2 years before you can do any decent sweeps. u will laugh and go "haha no way", but it takes that long at least. The pros make it look Deceptively easy
Quote by muso_ chris
i also flex the muscles in my arm to get it going that little bit faster.

You don't want to do that. You're really just placing limits on your picking speed growth. The less tension, the better. Pick with a loose/relaxed wrist/arm.
I have a problem with that tremolo picking too, I know how to do it... in theory, so when I start picking my hand is relaxed and all, wrist motions only not spasmic stuff but my hand kinda bounces off the strings you know like hitting the string once or twice than bouncing off. And I don't know how to fix this
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !