I figure this should go here, as I beleive it's rather hard to use in solos, not just wanking it, and dive bombs and noises.

I was wondering for some tips or maybe some videos or just some general direction in how to go about learning to use my whammy bar in solos.

I guess the main examples i can think about would be alot of Alexi Laihos stuff, particular in 'passage to the reaper' (youtube it if you're unfamimilar.

That sort of stuff. Staying in key, and just acheiving similar familiarity of being to do things like that and everything. I know it has alot to do with ear, but i think i just need like a few basics or something, before i can start using it in my own stuff.

And yes, if it matters i know my theory, my scales all over the fretboard (spent this year learning all of that, mainly extending it up and down one note at a time, then working it into the different shapes for everything (with double checking here and there) and eventually being quite confident with scales and modes all over the guitar.

Hope you guys (and girls) can help.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
you can play a note, dip the bar down slightly (about a step or two) then slide up to another note while raising the bar again.

play a melody using octaves while adding dips using the bar, it can sound really good and fluid.

play a riff with your left hand only but keep dipping the bar at a fast rate.

but the one i like is dipping slightly and doing small slides around, and like bending it down then playing a note and releasing it.
watch some videos of herman li =P he uses wide vibratos (whammy bar vibratos) while playing lots of different notes in some of his solos, such as storming the burning fields and fury of the storm.
cheers so far guys. Trying all of that.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
cheers guys. I enjoyed the suggested videos ^ I'll definately try doing some stuff in that way aswell, like bluesy.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Quote by sock_demon
Watch some steve vai videos, that guy goes nuts with his whammy

he goes nuts tastefully though (is it just me or did that sound a bit wrong?) Especially when he taps the whammy bar sharp, it makes it sound really weird, almost a sitar effect
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
What about Mattias Eklundh and Allan Holdsworth? Mattias does some damn freaky stuff with his.
Quote by rockstar_jones
I figure this should go here, as I beleive it's rather hard to use in solos, not just wanking it, and dive bombs and noises.

I was wondering for some tips or maybe some videos or just some general direction in how to go about learning to use my whammy bar in solos.

I guess the main examples i can think about would be alot of Alexi Laihos stuff, particular in 'passage to the reaper' (youtube it if you're unfamimilar.

That sort of stuff. Staying in key, and just acheiving similar familiarity of being to do things like that and everything. I know it has alot to do with ear, but i think i just need like a few basics or something, before i can start using it in my own stuff.

And yes, if it matters i know my theory, my scales all over the fretboard (spent this year learning all of that, mainly extending it up and down one note at a time, then working it into the different shapes for everything (with double checking here and there) and eventually being quite confident with scales and modes all over the guitar.

Hope you guys (and girls) can help.

I just make a harmonic natural or artificial and pop the whammy to make her squeel, or just, just hold the whammy with your palm and press up and down to make the, wah wah wah noise, listen to reb beach or steve vai , joe satriani etc. all masters of the whammy incorporated into their playing!

Or the old dive bomb works!