Ok so im buying an attenuator for my JCM 800, but the amount if time I spend playing guitar, i would need new valves every 2 weeks! I dont really want to use the attenuator too often, but i cant push it past clean without one, so i was wondering what OD pedal could help me get a good GnR tone that i can use for practicing.

Even though it is only for practicing, i need a really good tone! Is there a pedal I can get that will retain the characteristics of my JCM800 but just push it harder? Would a tubescreamer get me to GnR territory?

Id like to say money isnt an issue, but the less spent the better. Could I use a Bad Monkey to get this? I want it to still sound like a JCM800 with the pedal, and not to sound like a crappy pedal! I hope i am making sense here; i basically dont want the pedal to discolour the tone of the amp in any way. does anyone have any suggesions?

thanks
Maxon OD808 would be a good pedal, but it is about £100. So the Digitech Bad Monkey would be more realistic, or a Boss OD-3, or something along those lines.
i like the sound of an original ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer the most, if you dont want it to sound digital id look into most tube based OD pedals.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Maxon od-8, mid-hump pedal, adds abit of its own flavour, but doesnt take away from the amp (better than the ibanez ts808 IMO, TrueBypass)

Fulltone OCD, one of the best OD pedals around (not including the rarer more boutique pedals), can be used on its own on the clean channel for a nice OD, or used as a boost on the OD channel, retains pretty much all of the amp's original tone if you dial it in correctly, or you can tweak it to add its own flavour.
id look into most tube based OD pedals
Yup, though don't bother with the actual tube-equipped overdrives, the litle 12AX7 tubes make no discernible difference in most cases.

As much as I love the sound of power tube OD, you can get some stunning sounds using any kind of overdive or treble boost: have a look at the Digitech Bad Monkey, Maxon OD808 (the Ibanez TS reissues are okay, but not a patch on the Maxons), Fulltone OCD, Crowther Hot Cake and Carl Martin Hot Drive'N'Boost, amongst others. They're all solidly built and true-bypass (except the Bad Monkey), and are good at emulating a more power-tubey overdrive.
which would you recommend for a Guns N Roses type sound? Unfortunately I cant try any as my local music shop stocks behringer gear and thats about it... and im not sure the behringer TO800 would quite compliment my amp!

im also not sure if spending £100+ would be wise if i am going to be playing cranked without the pedal anyway...
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Nov 12, 2007,
and im not sure the behringer TO800 would quite compliment my amp!
...hey, don't knock it! It's got great tone for the price...the downside is that if you so much as whisper the word 'gig' near it, it'll instantly disintegrate into a pile of useless green plastic. Or just stop working, for no particular reason.

A GnR sound and under 100 squid, eh? I'd go for the Carl Martin Rock Drive, then.
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
Ok so im buying an attenuator for my JCM 800, but the amount if time I spend playing guitar, i would need new valves every 2 weeks! I dont really want to use the attenuator too often, but i cant push it past clean without one, so i was wondering what OD pedal could help me get a good GnR tone that i can use for practicing.

Even though it is only for practicing, i need a really good tone! Is there a pedal I can get that will retain the characteristics of my JCM800 but just push it harder? Would a tubescreamer get me to GnR territory?

Id like to say money isnt an issue, but the less spent the better. Could I use a Bad Monkey to get this? I want it to still sound like a JCM800 with the pedal, and not to sound like a crappy pedal! I hope i am making sense here; i basically dont want the pedal to discolour the tone of the amp in any way. does anyone have any suggesions?

thanks

Tubescreamer through and through
hmm im now very interested by the Carl Martin rock drive and the MI Audio Crunch Box! does anyone know anything about them?!

I wouldnt use the behringer for a gig cos id crank the amp instead... this pedal is solely for practice... is the behringer worth considering?
any way i can check out the sound? i dont like the clips on their site but i have a feeling it wouldnt sound anything like that with my gear
Sorry matey, although I recomended it, I havnt tried it myself, all I know is that alot of people say it imitates a cranked marshall reasonably well, which is exactly what your after.

HakEdit: Have you tried youtube?
You could always have a look for some clips on Youtube, but I'm always cautious when it comes to clips on there - sound quality can be poor, or they can alter things with software etc.
^ I love my crunchbox.

Quote by Hakanku
I hear good things about the MI audio crunch box, that is under £100.

http://www.theguitarstoreonline.com/stockfx.html (near the bottom of the page, going for £69)

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search_detail.asp?stock=07062716222429&page=search&search=mi%20audio%20crunch%20box&offset=&order=&BrandName= for the same price

As good as the crunchbox is, it's not an overdrive pedal, it's a distortion and it's not designed to be a boost. You probably won't wanna use the crunchbox if you have a JCM800, though at low volumes it may be better...

If you want a boost, check out a MI Audio Blues Pro or a Boost N Buff if you just want a clean/treble boost. Soundclips on their website.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Menatone-Red-Snapper-overdrive-absolutely-mint_W0QQitemZ270183982984QQihZ017QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One of the best overdrives money can buy. It compares favourably to every fulltone pedal I've tried, any Maxons, and is certainly a match for a Klon Centaur.
Really underpriced for what it is.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.