I've been playing for about 8 months and have been using a p.o.s. 10w practice amp the whole time. I'm finally able to spend some money on a new amp, and need opinions.

First off, my max is about $300. Not much I know, so tube amps are out of the question, but I found a VOX Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 for $260.

My style of play varies quite a bit, sometimes in the space of an hour I play an AC/DC riff, next some Skynyrd, then a little BB King box kind of freeform, then maybe Metallica, and finish up with an attempt at some hendrix... so i thought that the VT my be a cost-effective choice for me.
I don't play professionally or in a band by any means, but I do play often, and i want something that will give me decent tone and all the volume i should need.

I would appreciate any opinions on the AD50VT and suggestions about any other amps that might fit my needs, even if the cost is more than my max. Thanks.
It's a good amp for beginners, and even intermediate players who can't get a valve amp. They're good quality hybrids, and they sound decent, so it's definitely worth it. And it would cover those styles perfectly
My friend has that amp, and I plan on getting one asap.

It's a really good amp, even for playing live.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Yeah, it's probably a good choice. I suggest you go to a guitar store to try it out before you buy it, if possible (well, I'd suggest that with anything).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Also check out the Palomino and used. You can do better for your money.
$300USD is by no means out of decent tube territory.

Might want to see if you can try to find an Epiphone Valve Standard. It's a 15watt tube amp that can get decently loud (unless you play with a drummer that likes to use sledghammers), and it can get gritty enough for a nice classic/early hardrock tone. For stuff like Metallica though, you'll want to get an overdrive/distortion pedal for it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
300$ doesnt mean your out of the tube area
for the softer stuff you can try a evj, fender champ 600, a palomino
For harder stuff (such has metallica) you could try the ibanez valbee, all tube 5w and high gain, im thinking of buyng one

Not that ^ are all of low wattage (i think the palomino has a high wat version), and has hakael sayd too
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic