have you checked the console? If not, go to Options, Keyboard, Advanced and then 'Enable Console'. Then, press the ` button allocated to the left of the '1' key, this will show your console and thus, the problem.

My guess is that it will show 'Your response to the server has timed out', which is usually because of a dud server or your internet connection. If so, just restart steam if everything's working fine
MY STOMACH IS MOAR MELODIOUS THAN YOURS
what ping do you have? anywhere from 5 to 80 should be fine...
when in a game, hold down the TAB key, your name will be highlighted and on the far right should be a constantly changing number, that is your ping, or lactancy
move to a server that's located closer to your area. When you search for a server, on the far right in the 'Find Servers' box should be the server's ping, as long as that's a low number, you should be fine
Try another low ping server, you might find one where the owner isn't a complete ping ***** and has a reasonable tolerance range. Should you repeatedly get this problem it may not be truly ping related and may be easier to take your query to the Steam forums
^The Steam forums won't get you anywhere.

Episode 1 stated it was compatible with Windows ME, but wouldn't get past the menu screen. The moderators and members of the Steam forums all told me to spend over 100$ upgrading to XP just because ME was becoming obsolete. Despite the system requirements saying the game was supported on ME, and HL2 worked fine.

Not one bit of helpful advice, just morons telling me to upgrade my OS.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
^The Steam forums won't get you anywhere.

Episode 1 stated it was compatible with Windows ME, but wouldn't get past the menu screen. The moderators and members of the Steam forums all told me to spend over 100$ upgrading to XP just because ME was becoming obsolete. Despite the system requirements saying the game was supported on ME, and HL2 worked fine.

Not one bit of helpful advice, just morons telling me to upgrade my OS.

rankles actually posted in one of my topics i feel like ive accomplished something to day well back to the subject what do u think i should do then?
Theres a wealth of useful information to be found on the Steam forums, just very few people know any of it and the rest are prats. If you can find the right people you can get answers to anything.
You got any other programs running that use bandwidth whilst you're playing CS? If so, close them.

Is your internet connection shared? If so, try playing when noone else is using it.

Another problem may be that your ISP slows down at certain times. In my shared student house we should have a 20Mbit cable connection, in reality it only runs at that speed around 6am, due to the fact that loads and loads of people around here have the same thing, and are using it too.

If it's none of those things then I'm not really sure what else to suggest.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by Snakexe
You got any other programs running that use bandwidth whilst you're playing CS? If so, close them.

Is your internet connection shared? If so, try playing when noone else is using it.

Another problem may be that your ISP slows down at certain times. In my shared student house we should have a 20Mbit cable connection, in reality it only runs at that speed around 6am, due to the fact that loads and loads of people around here have the same thing, and are using it too.

If it's none of those things then I'm not really sure what else to suggest.

Try closing any other programs you have open that are using your connection like filesharing or downloaders. Also, play on servers in your area, there's a filter for that on the server search panel.
Gretsch 5120
Marshall TSL60/1936 Cab (2x12 Celestion)
Pedal Train:
Vox Wah / Boss TU2 / Ibanez TS9 / Boss GE7 EQ / Boss NS2 / Line 6 DL4

Proud owner of possibly the only good Fender acoustic...
Buy CS:S it better.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...